D&C 81 - Help please

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

D&C 81 - Help please

Post by _Who Knows »

Does anyone know when Jesse Gause was added to the summary for section 81? Apparently, (and i just learned this) Jesse Gause was the first counselor to Joseph Smith (along with Rigdon). Joseph Smith had a revelation concerning this which is now section 81. However, Jesse didn't last very long, and was soon replaced by Frederick Williams. Joseph Smith then apparently crossed out Jesse's name from the revelation, and put Williams' name in place. The revelation was published with Williams name, but it was noted later that the revelation was initially intended for Jesse.

I hope that made sense.

So, does anyone know when the church figured out that the revelation was originally intended for Gause (and then subsequently added the summary to D&C81)?
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
Will Schryver: "No, he didn’t." 3/19/08
Still waiting for Will to back this up...
_Gazelam
_Emeritus

Post by _Gazelam »

I don't know the answer to your question, but from a reading of the text it appears that the name of the person the revelation is given to is irrelevant. It is merely a statement of blessings available to those who fulfill the calling.

Just a thought

Gaz
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. - Plato
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

Gazelam wrote:I don't know the answer to your question, but from a reading of the text it appears that the name of the person the revelation is given to is irrelevant. It is merely a statement of blessings available to those who fulfill the calling.

Just a thought

Gaz

Thanks for the response Gaz. Although I'm only really interested in when the church added the description that the revelation was actually originally given to Gause.

Can anyone help?
WK: "Joseph Smith asserted that the Book of Mormon peoples were the original inhabitants of the americas"
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

I've moved this thread at the request of the author. Have fun discussing, guys!
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

I wanted Liz to move this - hoping to get some help from some of you that might not visit the Terrestrial forum.
_Alter Idem
_Emeritus

Post by _Alter Idem »

It looks like the information was added in the 1981 edition. Jesse Gause is not mentioned in the heading of the 1921 edition of the D&C, but is mentioned in the 1981 edition.

The information about Jesse Gause was found in the minutes recorded in the Kirtland Revelation Book for 8 March 1832. As you stated, his name was later crossed out and Frederick G. Williams name was written in. Jesse Gause had left the church and was excommunicated December 3, 1832.
_Alter Idem
_Emeritus

Post by _Alter Idem »

Decided to see what I could find on Jesse Gause and found only a little bit of information. on "Saints without Halos".

Jesse Gause was a Shaker before joining the Mormons. He was made a counselor along with Sidney Rigdon in the presidency of the High Priesthood, March 1832.

He accompanied Joseph Smith to the Missouri LDS community to establish the United Order.

In August he went with Zebedee Coltrin on a mission to his former congregation, the Shakers. He visited his wife who was still a Shaker and she refused to join the Mormons.

Last he is mentioned is August 19, 1832 in Zebedee's diary entry; Jesse and Zebedee Coltrin pray with and for each other "in the fellowship of the Gospel of our Lord & saviour Jesus Christ." Then Zebedee, who has been suffering from severe headaches, returns home, and Jesse is never heard from again. I guess, when he didn't return, they assumed he'd fallen away and he was excommunicated in absentia December 3, 1832.
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

Alter Idem wrote:It looks like the information was added in the 1981 edition. Jesse Gause is not mentioned in the heading of the 1921 edition of the D&C, but is mentioned in the 1981 edition.

The information about Jesse Gause was found in the minutes recorded in the Kirtland Revelation Book for 8 March 1832. As you stated, his name was later crossed out and Frederick G. Williams name was written in. Jesse Gause had left the church and was excommunicated December 3, 1832.

Perfect - that's what I was looking for. Do you happen to have a link maybe?
_Alter Idem
_Emeritus

Post by _Alter Idem »

Sorry, I didn't use the computer for that information--I got the information from "The Revelations of the Prophet Joseph Smith" by Lyndon W. Cook; page 171. It mentions the entries in the Kirtland revelation book and the changes which were made to the entries.

I have a 1921 copy of the Doctrine and Covenants and I checked the information in the heading--there was no mention of Jesse Gause. Then I checked my 1981 copy and found the information about Jesse Gause included. Since there were no changes to the D&C from 1921 to 1981("A commentary on the D&C" by Robinson and Garrett; page 13), it must have been added in the 1981 edition. Hope this helps.
_Who Knows
_Emeritus

Post by _Who Knows »

Alter Idem wrote:Sorry, I didn't use the computer for that information--I got the information from "The Revelations of the Prophet Joseph Smith" by Lyndon W. Cook; page 171. It mentions the entries in the Kirtland revelation book and the changes which were made to the entries.

I have a 1921 copy of the Doctrine and Covenants and I checked the information in the heading--there was no mention of Jesse Gause. Then I checked my 1981 copy and found the information about Jesse Gause included. Since there were no changes to the D&C from 1921 to 1981("A commentary on the D&C" by Robinson and Garrett; page 13), it must have been added in the 1981 edition. Hope this helps.

Good enough. Thanks for your help.