When did Jesus become a God?

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Jason Bourne
_Emeritus

Post by _Jason Bourne »

Gazelam wrote:It is the Melchizedek Priesthood that is infinate and Eternal, and those who fully receive it become equal to all those who carried this priesthood. That is how Gods are made, by adhereing to perfection and striveing to obtain it, until they do in the worlds to come.

(Hebrews chp. 5 + 7)

I understand this is the interpretation of the LDS Church and is arrived at through revelations Joseph Smith penned. However, most other Christian sects dispute our exegesis of these chapters.
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Post by _bcspace »

The passage is in regards to how God treats us His creations. Jesus was one with God from the beginning and is part of the Godhead that issued this passage. Look, I know LDS love to call Jesus our big brother. But in my opinion, he is and was much more then that from the start.

I don't think any LDS would disagree with you considering Abraham 3:19, the very same verse that allows Jesus to be a God relative to us before he attains a physical, resurrected, and glorfied body.
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Post by _bcspace »

It is the Melchizedek Priesthood that is infinate and Eternal, and those who fully receive it become equal to all those who carried this priesthood. That is how Gods are made, by adhereing to perfection and striveing to obtain it, until they do in the worlds to come.

(Hebrews chp. 5 + 7)

I understand this is the interpretation of the LDS Church and is arrived at through revelations Joseph Smith penned. However, most other Christian sects dispute our exegesis of these chapters.

Protestants especially as their interpretation of a priesthood of all believers is an over-reaction to Catholic apostasy.