Criticism

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

GIMR wrote:
liz3564 wrote:One point that I would like to make about criticism is that even though we ask for it, sometimes it is hard to accept, even when being given in a constructive way.

There is a vulnerability involved in putting your work, or "your baby" out on the table, exposed for people to pick apart.

In addition to teaching, I have also written professionally for a magazine for the past seven years. It's still difficult at times to receive constructive criticism from my editor when I've completed an article that I view as "perfect". LOL

I think it's part of human nature.

Very true, Liz. But to be a little literal here, if I had a "baby", and that baby was badly behaved, I'd want to know. I take care of two such babies, and their mother thinks their potty attitudes are so cute...either that or she just doesn't realize how they look to the outside world.

If there's a booger hanging out of my nose, please tell me. If my fly is down, please tell me. I might be embarrassed, and maybe even a bit resentful of your pointing it out at first, but later on if I'm half the person I claim to be, I'll be grateful.

Oh, I wholeheartedly agree! :)

I was just pointing out that I think anytime we ask for criticism, there is a certain vulnerability involved. The fact that Mak was able to show us that side of vulnerability, I find courageous.

I think that anytime we are earnestly open to criticism, it shows maturity and strength because of the vulnerability involved.

As a teacher, I do try to be aware that my students have placed trust in me with this vulnerability, and try to respond both constructively and kindly. They know that my comments are meant to make their project better.
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

I am not sure that criticism is ever good. I would prefer 'critical' to criticism. There is much criticism going on but usually such criticism can only have negative impacts. However, to be critical can be more appreciated. To be critical means to question someone's hypothesis. It can be positive and negative but it is always done with civility and with respect. Critical can also mean to give an evalution and an analysis to someone's post, and also an interpretation. To be critical is this sense, just means to give a critique and a critique is different from criticism. And critical thinking is a questioning mind and not a negative mind.

Plus, tone is important. In a critique the tone can be formal and informal. But within the critique there is no bitterness, anger, or hostility as there may be in a criticism. Only a dialogue with another poster.

Now I will give you my impression of this board so far. This board has great potential, especially the celestial board. However, if there is too much criticism and too much bad blood between former poster friends from the other board, well...the board is doomed to outer darkness. Likewise for the other board. Criticism can be contentious and counterproductive but 'critical' and 'critique' can be enlightening and productive.

Maybe its time that posters give critiques and not criticisms. :=)
_Alter Idem
_Emeritus

Post by _Alter Idem »

GIMR wrote:Very true, Liz. But to be a little literal here, if I had a "baby", and that baby was badly behaved, I'd want to know. I take care of two such babies, and their mother thinks their potty attitudes are so cute...either that or she just doesn't realize how they look to the outside world.

If there's a booger hanging out of my nose, please tell me. If my fly is down, please tell me. I might be embarrassed, and maybe even a bit resentful of your pointing it out at first, but later on if I'm half the person I claim to be, I'll be grateful.

I agree, however how someone tells you is important too. Do you want to hear "Ewww...You're disgusting, you've got snot hanging from your nose" or do you want to hear "Uh, here's a kleenex, you've got something on your nose".
I think delivery has a lot to do with how we receive criticism.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

Alter Idem wrote:
GIMR wrote:Very true, Liz. But to be a little literal here, if I had a "baby", and that baby was badly behaved, I'd want to know. I take care of two such babies, and their mother thinks their potty attitudes are so cute...either that or she just doesn't realize how they look to the outside world.

I agree, however how someone tells you is important too. Do you want to hear "Ewww...You're disgusting, you've got snot hanging from your nose" or do you want to hear "Uh, here's a kleenex, you've got something on your nose".
I think delivery has a lot to do with how we receive criticism.

No matter how many times a person sprays air freshener on the dog poop in the living room, the smell is still there and someone has to pick it up and take it to the dumpster.

Tone in and of itself should not be the determining factor of whether criticism is acceptable or not. Content should be the determining factor. Tone is at best a side issue.