KNIPPERDOLINGS

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_grindael
_Emeritus

Re: KNIPPERDOLINGS

Post by _grindael »

Here's another interesting one, from August 12, 1842...

Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

http://www.sidneyrigdon.com/dbroadhu/OH/painerep.htm#021439

Too bad the ACLU was not around back in Missouri to defend the Mormons. It was like that entire part of Missouri had become the Ferguson Police Department conducting a pogrom on a roving gypsy tribe over a few stolen items, fortune tellings, and perhaps a panty raid or two.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Kishkumen
_Emeritus

Post by _Kishkumen »

grindael wrote:Temple of Nephi? Martin Harris running his mouth...

Didn't Joseph Smith also write to Jesse Smith about the same topic?
"Petition wasn’t meant to start a witch hunt as I’ve said 6000 times." ~ Hanna Seariac, LDS apologist
_grindael
_Emeritus

Post by _grindael »

Something else of interest... this was published by Cole a month earlier...

An Extract. -- MEN OF UNDERSTANDING -- "This title distinquished a denomination which appeared in Flanders and Brussels, in the year 1511. They owed their origin to an illiterate man whose name was Egidus Cantor, [Aegidius Cantor, 1411] and to William of Hendenison, [Hildernissen] a Carmelite Monk -- They pretended to be honoured with celestial visions; denied that any could arrive at a perfect knowledge of the Holy Scriptures without the extraordinary succors of a divine illumination, and declared the approach of a new revelation from heaven, more perfect than the Gospel of Christ."

How does this tally with the pretensions of Jo Smith Jr. and his followers -- ha? ...

What in the world was Abner Cole getting at?????

https://books.google.com/books?id=dFchg ... or&f=false

Cole doesn't mention their practice of free love that resembles the Spiritual Wifeism of John C. Bennett & William Smith...
Riding on a speeding train; trapped inside a revolving door;
Lost in the riddle of a quatrain; Stuck in an elevator between floors.
One focal point in a random world can change your direction:
One step where events converge may alter your perception.
_shroudedninja
_Emeritus

Post by _shroudedninja »

The story of Kinpperdoling and the Munster rebellion was the first major crack in my shelf. I first heard about it listening to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast. The similarities between the Anabaptists and Mormonism are striking. It's very interesting to find that even early on people were aware of the similarities.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

shroudedninja wrote:The story of Kinpperdoling and the Munster rebellion was the first major crack in my shelf. I first heard about it listening to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast. The similarities between the Anabaptists and Mormonism are striking. It's very interesting to find that even early on people were aware of the similarities.

That episode should be required listening.

Welcome to the board.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."