THREE TESTS THE Book of Mormon CANNOT PASS

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Re: THREE TESTS THE Book of Mormon CANNOT PASS

Post by _Maksutov »

LittleNipper wrote:Show me the evolutionist who doesn't have any regard for evolution before he begins his research, or the archaeologist who doesn't know he's looking for Troy before he seeks after it, And I'll show you people without goals.

Talk about everything but the facts. :lol:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_mikegriffith1
_Emeritus

Post by _mikegriffith1 »

huckelberry wrote:The Book of Mormon is a pretty wide target. I am unable to see the Bible passing the same tests with the ease this presenter believes. He mentions secular confirmation of the hours of darkness at the crucifixion. I am unfamiliar with such and am shocked to hear the claim. He also says it was a miraculous solar eclipse.

It is true that there are non-biblical sources that talk about a period of darkness at the crucifixion. But there are also ancient Mesoamerican records that talk the appearance of a Great White God in ancient Mesoamerica.
Mike Griffith
LDS Information Web Page
http://ldsinfo.miketgriffith.com/
_Everybody Wang Chung
_Emeritus

Post by _Everybody Wang Chung »

mikegriffith1 wrote:But there are also ancient Mesoamerican records that talk the appearance of a Great White God in ancient Mesoamerica.

Mike,

There are no such ancient Mesoamerican records.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Post by _Brackite »

LittleNipper wrote:Come on!?!!? The Christ was being crucified at Jerusalem! Why would the Americas experience 3 days of darkness and Jerusalem receive only 3 hours! Think for once in your life. Joseph Smith was writing the Book of Mormon without any help from GOD. And He could not help but make mistakes. And this is a glaring error, and yet one that could have slipped by any guy who had no heart for the truth but was too busy trying to jump into the spotlight.

From Carm:

ORIGINAL
When Christ died, did darkness cover the land for three days or for three hours? (Luke 23:44 and 3 Nephi 8:19, 23).

FARMS
This is like asking why the snowstorm on Christmas day lasted two hours in Boston and two days in Denver. We are, after all, dealing with different geographical regions here. The answer is that the darkness lasted three hours in the Holy Land but three days in the lands inhabited by the Nephites, where there appears to have been a major volcanic explosion (see John A. Tvedtnes, "Historical Parallels to the Destruction at the Time of the Crucifixion," Journal of Book of Mormon Studies 3/1, Spring 1994).

MY RESPONSE
I'll give this one to you, though I think Smith simply made a mistake when he was copying from the Bible. It is not, technically, a contradiction to state the time of darkness difference is due to geographical location.
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter