Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs in relation to my lds upbringing

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_win-win
_Emeritus

Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs in relation to my lds upbringing

Post by _win-win »

I just read Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs by Saul McLeod, updated May 21, 2018

https://www.simplypsychology.org/maslow.html

I've contrasted this information with my own life while looking at ways I was stunted and areas I need to focus on to regain lost ground.

Dusting off my dreams --- it's never too soon or never too late.

I open this up as a possible discussion to see how we could learn from each other in terms of ideas in relation to this article.

I'll share the main aspect of this article that really hit me:

4. Esteem needs - which Maslow classified into two categories: (i) esteem for oneself (dignity, achievement, mastery, independence) and (ii) the desire for reputation or respect from others (e.g., status, prestige).

Maslow indicated that the need for respect or reputation is most important for children and adolescents and precedes real self-esteem or dignity.

5. Cognitive needs - knowledge and understanding, curiosity, exploration, need for meaning and predictability.

4 and 5 have always been at odds with me based on my LDS programming.

I didn't know what my real self wanted because I was busy conforming to the need for LDS respect and reputation that already had parameters and goals set in place on the whole.

Therefore, number 5, knowledge and understanding, curiosity and exploration were also already largely established within LDS parameters.

I wasn't interested in exploring the words of wisdom options or sexual options, but I wasn't able to live a life that didn't involve traditional job and community goals. I was more of a gypsy who wanted something very different for my life and had no idea how to rewire my upbringing to produce something so completely different in contrast.

Oddly it's only been this year that I'm able to explore what I really want, which is to have a vegan health retreat focused on internal inquiry (non-denominational). I couldn't have gone that direction before and it's taken a long time to break my accommodation of childhood programs and finally pursue the interests of my heart, not someone else's.

I would be living someone else's life if I stayed in Mormonism and even after leaving Mormonism if I hadn't confronted the programs and lifestyle that were never mine.

.... Celebrating more freedom to explore and be my real self.
_Amore
_Emeritus

Re: Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs in relation to my LDS upbrin

Post by _Amore »

I’m happy for you figuring out something you want and going after it. :) I’ve thought about doing a retreat too, but I’m hesitant as you were about any dogma, ideologies etc. I did go on a trip by myself which was kind of a retreat, challenge, searching my soul... and more!

For most of my life I ignored what I wanted, so after my faith crisis and having my eyes open to much more, I realized how I’d neglected myself and been so punitive. I haven’t overcome that in all respects, but I have allowed myself to get what I want more - for a while. Now and lately I’m sensing the need to rebalance with more self discipline. And I sense there are higher levels of spiritual awareness and self mastery, which are beyond the realm of logic/study.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

I like that religion can provide people with comfort even when they are struggling with the basics at the bottom of the Maslow pyramid.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

moksha wrote:I like that religion can provide people with comfort even when they are struggling with the basics at the bottom of the Maslow pyramid.

Religion can be the medically prescribed marijuana extract for the masses.
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

moksha wrote:I like that religion can provide people with comfort even when they are struggling with the basics at the bottom of the Maslow pyramid.

I agree. Except I do favor religions which allow trhe individual to have space to follow their own consciences, especially in matters that fall to a person's discretion, or where no one choice is verifiably superior. I think that is overall a healthier environment.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Meadowchik wrote:Except I do favor religions which allow the individual to have space to follow their own consciences, especially in matters that fall to a person's discretion, or where no one choice is verifiably superior. I think that is overall a healthier environment.

Whatever can best provide comfort or remedy for those struggling at the base of Maslow's pyramid. As they say in Temple, "Don't look a gift Comforter in the mouth".
_win-win
_Emeritus

Post by _win-win »

moksha wrote:
Meadowchik wrote:Except I do favor religions which allow the individual to have space to follow their own consciences, especially in matters that fall to a person's discretion, or where no one choice is verifiably superior. I think that is overall a healthier environment.

Whatever can best provide comfort or remedy for those struggling at the base of Maslow's pyramid. As they say in Temple, "Don't look a gift Comforter in the mouth".

Sometimes it seems like remedy or comfort is just enough to keep masses at the base of the pyramid.
I've considered the idea that strong belief systems might help people be free, but after decades of observing I can still only see folks appeased enough to keep the pyramid foundation firmly in place.
I'm not sure if I'm being overly negative or finally realistic.
_win-win
_Emeritus

Post by _win-win »

Amore wrote: Now and lately I’m sensing the need to rebalance with more self discipline. And I sense there are higher levels of spiritual awareness and self mastery, which are beyond the realm of logic/study.

Excuse my late reply, but I forgot my password for the 2nd time.

:redface:

Like you I'm re-evaluating discipline but from a personal place rather than an obedient allegiance to a prophet, lord, god or other authoritative folks.
I also sense levels of awareness that are beyond the realm of logic or study.
I'm not entirely sure how that fits the presence of my life in the midst of this all, but I suspect it has to do with discipline / choice versus the theory of moral relativism.
_Amore
_Emeritus

Post by _Amore »

Hi Win-win,
You offer a good reminder to me of discipline. Thanks.

(I shared this before...) I just watched this short video about positive disintegration (PD), which related to Fowler’s faith stage developmental theory in that it’s level I correlates to the 1st 3 Of Fowler’s faith stages. PD levels II & III are like Fowler’s stage 4, PD levels IV and V are like Fowler’s stages 5 & 6. Dabrowski (founder of PD theory) did not focus on religion like Fowler did, but approached this more generally as a personal development theory.

Positive disintegration views psychological tension and anxiety as necessary for growth. It’s like Christ’s parable of not putting new wine in old wine bottles - and of Mary’s labor pains that brought forth new life. Being born again implies letting go of that which was dead or not good, so that God can “make weak things strong.”

This personality theory does not correlate with age and points out that relatively few progress to higher stages, mostly because...
    “Behold, there are many called, but few are chosen. And why are they not chosen?
    Because their hearts are set so much upon the things of this world, and aspire to the honors of men, that they do not learn this one lesson—
    That the rights of the priesthood are inseparably connected with the powers of heaven, and that the powers of heaven cannot be controlled nor handled only upon the principles of righteousness.”
    - D&C 121:34-36
Few have the courage to truly prioritize God (truth/love) above all - because often that means that many in your social circle will reject you for not conforming. Yet, God’s ways are higher than man’s.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O-I03ZmhovQ#