It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is the Bible Inerrant?
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:21 am 
CTR B

Many Christians accept that the Bible is the infallible word of God, that it contains no mistakes or errors of men. This is a belief that has often puzzled me. (Most Mormons don't even accept the Book of Mormon as infallible.) Are there any fundamentalist-leaning Christians here who can help me understand this belief?

My questions for those who believe the Bible is inerrant are:

1. If the Bible is infallible, what about the passages within the Bible that contradict each other?

2. If the Bible is infallible, which version/translation, of the many available, is the most infallible?

3. Could the Bible have been written by some inspired people without necessarily being totally inerrant?

4. If the Bible is infallible, is it okay for a Christian to believe in an old-earth as opposed to a young-earth?

5. If the Bible is infallible, could some of its stories have been metaphorical instead of literal?

Post subject: Re: Is the Bible Inerrant?
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:54 pm 
God

Wonhyu, there are not a lot of people frequenting this board who are holders to inerrancy of the Bible. Little Nipper does, he talks. Mittens likely does but he is not very talkative.

I am a non Mormon Christian who is interested in Christian topics but I do not believe the Bible is inerrant. I believe the Holy Spirit calls and leads the writers but they must use their own limited understanding of history science and culture to express themselves. I believe the Holy Spirit uses the Bible to call people to faith in God and Jesus Christ. I believe the Holy Spirit works with scripture to aid our own efforts to understand.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:57 am 
God

I am a Christian, and while I believe that translations can be out of kilter, I firmly believe that the Bible in its original tongue is fine. What people deem as "mistakes" are entirely only different perspectives of the same event or even similar different events (example: as with Jesus and His various miracles). The Pi equation of the holy sea bowl has been demonstrated over and over to reveal the thickness of the bowl's walls. And no matter to the "modern" mind what Solomon's number of horses and chariots were, I believe it is a fact. GOD inspires interested parties to STUDY the Bible and not simply read it. That is why a "Christian" will use the Bible to understand the Bible but a non-Christian will only regard that as "circular reasoning".

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:14 am 
God

LittleNipper wrote:
The Pi equation of the holy sea bowl has been demonstrated over and over to reveal the thickness of the bowl's walls.

What's the "holy sea bowl"? What's the "Pi equation" for this "holy sea bowl"? Forgive me, but this looks like gibberish.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:43 am 
Prophet

Is the bible is written by fallible human beings like us.

To suggest that they were incapable of error is to have other gods before God, breaking the 1st of the lower, basic commandments.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 2:36 pm 
God

Amore wrote:

To suggest that they were incapable of error is to have other gods before God, breaking the 1st of the lower, basic commandments.

The Bible was penned by humans but authored by GOD through the Holy Spirit. God makes no mistakes. :ugeek:

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 2:44 pm 
God

Morley wrote:
LittleNipper wrote:
The Pi equation of the holy sea bowl has been demonstrated over and over to reveal the thickness of the bowl's walls.

What's the "holy sea bowl"? What's the "Pi equation" for this "holy sea bowl"? Forgive me, but this looks like gibberish.

http://www.recoveredscience.com/const100solomonpi.htm

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:12 am 
God

Why believe a book is inerrant because it says it's inerrant? Isn't that, like, what people call a conflict of interest?

Why believe a book is inerrant because its believers call it inerrant? Same problem.

If you are going to question your government, your neighbor, your spouse, and street signs, why all-of-a-sudden not question your religious text?

The reason is simple: deep psychological, even emotional attachment. If it is axiomatically "true" in your brain, you will feel good reiterating it and can sincerely believe you're being rational and reasonable. Your brain will find ways to defend the axiom because belief literally acts like a drug.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:08 am 
God

Meadowchik wrote:
Why believe a book is inerrant because it says it's inerrant? Isn't that, like, what people call a conflict of interest?

Why believe a book is inerrant because its believers call it inerrant? Same problem.

If you are going to question your government, your neighbor, your spouse, and street signs, why all-of-a-sudden not question your religious text?

The reason is simple: deep psychological, even emotional attachment. If it is axiomatically "true" in your brain, you will feel good reiterating it and can sincerely believe you're being rational and reasonable. Your brain will find ways to defend the axiom because belief literally acts like a drug.

Why believe in GOD at all? There is nothing wrong with questioning, but when the answers are found in a book, I see no reason to ignore the fact here is an ancient book that has historic background and provides a very good solid foundation for determining the difference between right and wrong. And not just that but provides hope for tomorrow and demonstrates that GOD really does care.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:18 am 
God

LittleNipper wrote:
Meadowchik wrote:

Why believe in GOD at all? There is nothing wrong with questioning, but when the answers are found in a book, I see no reason to ignore the fact here is an ancient book that has historic background and provides a very good solid foundation for determining the difference between right and wrong. And not just that but provides hope for tomorrow and demonstrates that GOD really does care.

Why the jump from gleaning insights from an ancient book with historical background, all the way to holding that book up as inerrant?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:11 am 
God

Circular reasoning works!

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:48 pm 
Prophet

LittleNipper wrote:
Amore wrote:

The Bible was penned by humans but authored by GOD through the Holy Spirit. God makes no mistakes. :ugeek:

You are putting fallible human beings writings up on pedestals as if they were infallible gods.

“Thou shalt have no other gods” - 1st of the basics. Why? Because no matter how ancient, revered, popular or canonized, all human beings are fallible. And really, scriptures or any other idol is not God him/her self, but often symbolize God so so much that they forget God & focus on that which was only meant as a fallible sign to POINT to God.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:43 pm 
God

If viewed as a sacred allegory, the bible is as inerrant as the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:25 pm 
CTR B

moksha wrote:
If viewed as a sacred allegory, the bible is as inerrant as the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

Moksha, my goodness... I don’t think it’s possible to read your posts without a large smile breaking out upon my normally crusty countenance!

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:41 pm 
God

Amore wrote:
LittleNipper wrote:
[

You are putting fallible human beings writings up on pedestals as if they were infallible gods.

“Thou shalt have no other gods” - 1st of the basics. Why? Because no matter how ancient, revered, popular or canonized, all human beings are fallible. And really, scriptures or any other idol is not God him/her self, but often symbolize God so so much that they forget God & focus on that which was only meant as a fallible sign to POINT to God.

The Bible says "Thou shalt have no other gods." However, according to you the Bible was written by man and so is fallible ----- therefore according to you since the Bible is nothing but errors, the verse you quoted is worthless because it was written by man and man makes mistakes and so doesn't have a clue what God has to say regarding other gods...

Now, since I believe the Bible is GOD's words written down by man, I can accept that by other gods, the one true GOD of the Bible is referring to other gods and not what HE himself dictated for our benefit!

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:42 pm 
God

moksha wrote:

Or the book of Mormon! :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:18 am 
God

LittleNipper wrote:
Morley wrote:

http://www.recoveredscience.com/const100solomonpi.htm

This ultimately just makes up numbers to reach the assumed conclusion (i.e. the Bible can't be wrong).

I reckon a bit of begging the claim dressing helps make a circular reasoning salad more palatable.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 5:42 pm 
God

Doctor Steuss wrote:
LittleNipper wrote:

This ultimately just makes up numbers to reach the assumed conclusion (i.e. the Bible can't be wrong).

I reckon a bit of begging the claim dressing helps make a circular reasoning salad more palatable.
You make up excuses to not believe the Bible. So be it. :ugeek:

What Jesus had to say:

52. The Rich Man and Lazarus (Luke 16:14-31)
14 The Pharisees, who loved money, heard all this and were sneering at Jesus. 15 He said to them, “You are the ones who justify yourselves in the eyes of men, but God knows your hearts. What is highly valued among men is detestable in God’s sight. 16 “The Law and the Prophets were proclaimed until John. Since that time, the good news of the kingdom of God is being preached, and everyone is forcing his way into it. 17 It is easier for heaven and earth to disappear than for the least stroke of a pen to drop out of the Law. 18 “Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery, and the man who marries a divorced woman commits adultery. 19 “There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. 20 At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores 21 and longing to eat what fell from the rich man’s table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores. 22 “The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 In hell, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24 So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.’ 25 “But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.’ 27 “He answered, ‘Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my father’s house, 28 for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’ 29 “Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.’ 30 “‘No, father Abraham,’ he said, ‘but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’ 31 “He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’ “

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:27 pm 
God

I have a comment which could clarify my view of the Bible and might pose a question for this subject.

I believe the Bible is what God wants it to be. It communicates the truth God wants to communicate with it . With the Holy Spirit the Bible is fulfilling the mission God has given it. This statement can be seen as one understanding of inerrant.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:09 am 
God

huckelberry wrote:
I have a comment which could clarify my view of the Bible and might pose a question for this subject.

I believe the Bible is what God wants it to be. It communicates the truth God wants to communicate with it . With the Holy Spirit the Bible is fulfilling the mission God has given it. This statement can be seen as one understanding of inerrant.

About a year ago my brain became dislodged from the mindset that my traditional beliefs were inevitably true and axiomatic. It has been a jarring yet rewarding transition. With that as context, now I just can't seem to find a reason to weight the Bible with cosmological importance. Clearly human beings yield high social benefit through systems of belief, thus holy books can be completely explained as evolutionary advantageous to peoples, nothing more than that.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:25 am 
God

Claims to know what is and is not inerrant or what God says or does not say by imperfect and limited people are only are accurate as the claimant.

"The lives we lead now are not dress rehearsals, they are the only performance we have. Therefore what matters is what we have here, the people we know and and love and the good we can do for the world"
Sean Carroll