Mormon Discussions
http://www.mormondiscussions.com/phpBB3/

Paying tithing cancels out poverty says President Nelson
http://www.mormondiscussions.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=48994
Page 1 of 1

Author:  AmyJo [ Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Paying tithing cancels out poverty says President Nelson

President Nelson promises East Africans paying tithe will free them from poverty

Because that is the "Lord's way," he assures the poor, meek, and mild who traveled by dusty busloads to come listen to him speak.

"President Nelson also said tithing can break cycles of poverty in poor nations and families.

"We preach tithing to the poor people of the world because the poor people of the world have had cycles of poverty, generation after generation," he said. "That same poverty continues from one generation to another, until people pay their tithing."

The law of the tithe was followed by ancient peoples as taught by Old Testament prophets. LDS faithful believe God restored the law and its blessings for those who follow it by giving one-tenth of their income to the church."

Creating more generational poverty IMO is not the way to cure it.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900 ... cycle.html

Author:  Maksutov [ Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:39 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Paying tithing cancels out poverty says President Nelson

The church doesn't need the money. Those people do.

Author:  ajax18 [ Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:15 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Paying tithing cancels out poverty says President Nelson

I don't think the Church is in Africa for the money.

Author:  Maksutov [ Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:05 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Paying tithing cancels out poverty says President Nelson

ajax18 wrote:
I don't think the Church is in Africa for the money.


The Mormon church has always been about money, no matter where it is. That's why they hide their data whenever they can. Money is the other side of power and a doctrine that promises people Godhood ain't about humility and service. But some folks buy the talk and open their wallets. They will pay a great deal for their fix of unreality, willingly and righteously. :lol:

Mormonism has to pretend that it's growing and that it's inclusive. That's good business and that's behind the PR of the African push. It's a long game that they're playing. They aren't stupid about that.

Author:  Quasimodo [ Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:56 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Paying tithing cancels out poverty says President Nelson

Maksutov wrote:
The Mormon church has always been about money, no matter where it is. That's why they hide their data whenever they can. Money is the other side of power and a doctrine that promises people Godhood ain't about humility and service. But some folks buy the talk and open their wallets. They will pay a great deal for their fix of unreality, willingly and righteously. :lol:

Mormonism has to pretend that it's growing and that it's inclusive. That's good business and that's behind the PR of the African push. It's a long game that they're playing. They aren't stupid about that.


I think there is also the strong element that very poor areas such as Africa have very little internet connection at the moment and may still buy their sales pitch.

The down side to their long game is that as more African countries' economies improve, the less accepting of LDS proselytizing the people will be. I think that's what happened in Europe. It's a losing game.

Author:  Maksutov [ Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:30 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Paying tithing cancels out poverty says President Nelson

Quasimodo wrote:
Maksutov wrote:
The Mormon church has always been about money, no matter where it is. That's why they hide their data whenever they can. Money is the other side of power and a doctrine that promises people Godhood ain't about humility and service. But some folks buy the talk and open their wallets. They will pay a great deal for their fix of unreality, willingly and righteously. :lol:

Mormonism has to pretend that it's growing and that it's inclusive. That's good business and that's behind the PR of the African push. It's a long game that they're playing. They aren't stupid about that.


I think there is also the strong element that very poor areas such as Africa have very little internet connection at the moment and may still buy their sales pitch.

The down side to their long game is that as more African countries' economies improve, the less accepting of LDS proselytizing the people will be. I think that's what happened in Europe. It's a losing game.


Demographically the majority of Christians will be living below the equator by 2050. The more educated people become, the more secular. The poor, the desperate, the lost have always been the best prospects for religion because such people often lack adequate social networks. They have no advocates and can be overwhelmed through love bombing and sophisticated reality distortion.

Author:  Shulem [ Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:11 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Paying tithing cancels out poverty says President Nelson

Nelson is preaching false principles. Paying tithing has nothing to do with whether a nation prospers or lives in poverty. Those things are determined by other factors not whether the people of that nation pay homage to a church by rendering 10% to an American based religion. Many countries around the world prosper and have very few tithe paying Mormons that dwell therein.

It is a complete ruse on Nelson's part in placing blame and guilt on a people he doesn't even know. In my view, Nelson is practicing wickedness in making Africans think they have to yield and pay homage to an American church in order to prosper. It's sheer and utter wickedness on Nelson's part. The people of Africa will either prosper or live in poverty because of factors totally unrelated to the LDS church. With that said, those Africans that fall for this nonsense that Nelson is peddling are probably looking for a silver lining and are going to look to the church for assistance when things go bad. Nelson better be prepared to open his wallet in a big way because the Africans will not be forgiving when they find out that they were duped by an American cult.

Author:  Maksutov [ Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:50 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Paying tithing cancels out poverty says President Nelson

Shulem wrote:
Nelson is preaching false principles. Paying tithing has nothing to do with whether a nation prospers or lives in poverty. Those things are determined by other factors not whether the people of that nation pay homage to a church by rendering 10% to an American based religion. Many countries around the world prosper and have very few tithe paying Mormons that dwell therein.

It is a complete ruse on Nelson's part in placing blame and guilt on a people he doesn't even know. In my view, Nelson is practicing wickedness in making Africans think they have to yield and pay homage to an American church in order to prosper. It's sheer and utter wickedness on Nelson's part. The people of Africa will either prosper or live in poverty because of factors totally unrelated to the LDS church. With that said, those Africans that fall for this nonsense that Nelson is peddling are probably looking for a silver lining and are going to look to the church for assistance when things go bad. Nelson better be prepared to open his wallet in a big way because the Africans will not be forgiving when they find out that they were duped by an American cult.


But it's a very respectable and powerful cult. C'mon, America's been a nonstop cult parade since the Puritans landed. It's what we do. We hand over our money and chicks to gibbering god men, because we're too arrogant to absorb the Enlightenment.

Author:  ajax18 [ Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:20 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Paying tithing cancels out poverty says President Nelson

Quote:
Money is the other side of power

Agreed. But how much money is the Church really collecting from 3rd world countries versus how much is it paying out for buildings etc? If it were about making money, it wouldn't make any sense for the Church to be in Africa. In fact, wouldn't some speculate that this may be why the Church wasn't proselyting in these nations during its infancy? And if it were a PR campaign, why publicly tell African saints they need to pay tithing to the uber wealthy LDS church?

Quote:
and a doctrine that promises people Godhood ain't about humility and service.

Why isn't this possible? How do you explain Jesus washing the feet of his disciples?

Author:  Maksutov [ Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:20 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Paying tithing cancels out poverty says President Nelson

ajax18 wrote:
Quote:
Money is the other side of power

Agreed. But how much money is the Church really collecting from 3rd world countries versus how much is it paying out for buildings etc? If it were about making money, it wouldn't make any sense for the Church to be in Africa. In fact, wouldn't some speculate that this may be why the Church wasn't proselyting in these nations during its infancy? And if it were a PR campaign, why publicly tell African saints they need to pay tithing to the uber wealthy LDS church?

Quote:
and a doctrine that promises people Godhood ain't about humility and service.

Why isn't this possible? How do you explain Jesus washing the feet of his disciples?

It's a ritual. Follow the money. That's where the values are.

Author:  Wonhyo [ Tue May 01, 2018 11:06 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Paying tithing cancels out poverty says President Nelson

The so-called "prosperity gospel", which is that God blesses the righteous with material abundance, is one of the most damaging teachings in religion. Mormons have their own spin on the prosperity gospel with respect to the principle of tithing. For some strange reason, many Mormons and other Christians want to prove that they are righteous by being wealthy.

Why it is that some people seem to have no problem generating wealth, and others - though they give and serve and sincerely try - never seem to get ahead? Is it because the wealthy ones are paying tithing or are more righteous? Unfortunately, with his comment to the members in Kenya, Pres. Nelson has offered an answer, however unwitting or extemporaneous it may have been. These kinds of statements go down in the records and create or revive myths that may perpetuate for generations.

Rather than tying the payment of tithing to breaking free from - or remaining in - poverty's cycle, perhaps it would have been more effective to connect tithing to a different form of prosperity other than financial prosperity.

But, then again, Pres. Nelson may really believe it. He surely isn't the only one. His wife, Wendy, told the young adults of the Church in 2016 about the unhelpful story of George Q. Cannon's attitude on tithing:

https://www.LDS.org/broadcasts/article/ ... eng#note6-

Quote:
When we’re desperate to be guided by heaven, we work harder than ever to tune in to heaven. When we’re desperate to be physically healthy, we eat and exercise accordingly. No excuses! When we’re desperate to have more money, we eagerly follow the Lord’s law of finances—which is, of course, tithing!

Consider President George Q. Cannon’s approach to tithing when he was an impoverished young man. When his bishop commented on the large amount of tithing poor young George was paying, George said something like: “Oh bishop, I’m not paying tithing on what I make. I’m paying tithing on what I want to make.” And the very next year George earned exactly the amount of money he had paid tithing on the year before!"

Author:  boo [ Sat May 05, 2018 2:38 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Paying tithing cancels out poverty says President Nelson

I have always wondered how they can claim the benefits of tithing when they themselves don’t pay any . GAs haven’t paid tithing since BY and the 12 voted themselves exempt in 1845.Note all others who work full time for the church pay tithing or lose their jobs but the “brethren” who are paid $135,000/year and get new car every 2 years don’t pay a penny in tithing. Great deal eh.You notice I didn’t say a word about hypocrisy.

Author:  ajax18 [ Tue May 08, 2018 12:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Paying tithing cancels out poverty says President Nelson

boo wrote:
I have always wondered how they can claim the benefits of tithing when they themselves don’t pay any . GAs haven’t paid tithing since BY and the 12 voted themselves exempt in 1845.Note all others who work full time for the church pay tithing or lose their jobs but the “brethren” who are paid $135,000/year and get new car every 2 years don’t pay a penny in tithing. Great deal eh.You notice I didn’t say a word about hypocrisy.


Do they only get paid $135k/yr? How much do the Apostles and 1st presidency get paid? Missionaries don't have to pay tithing either.

Author:  moksha [ Tue May 08, 2018 1:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Paying tithing cancels out poverty says President Nelson

Quasimodo wrote:
I think that's what happened in Europe. It's a losing game.

People are more wary of scams, even if they miss out on lucrative offers by having their own dealership and sharing a cut of the profit their recruits, and their recruit's recruits bring in. You would think those Europeans should show some respect for an enterprise that could be associated with the Count della Ponzi e Cultrana - as far as they know.

Author:  Amore [ Sat May 12, 2018 10:52 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Paying tithing cancels out poverty says President Nelson

Actually, Nelson might be right IF all of the tithing collectors actually obeyed THEIR responsibility in distributing TITHES to those in need, as instructed in Deut. 14:28-29 & by Jesus repeatedly.

Unfortunately, according to Oaks, not a penny of tithes go to the poor, so he essentially admitted that they disobey their part of the highest commandment. Meanwhile members are subject to anual “tithing settlements” and denied the right to see family/friends’ temple weddings & undergo cultish shaming unless they pay up for worthiness (unless they honor priestcraft). On top of that, as the Pharisees, GA’s place heavy burdens on members, corrupting scripture from tithing based on increase to new and greedily improved “income-based” cult-club dues.

The financial-tithing issue is so freaking obvious - I saw it way before my faith crisis. Part of me feels so bad for people being scammed out of so much money and in such a corrupt way, but another part of me thinks, "A fool and his money are soon parted."

According to Jesus, robbing the poor of tithes meant for them, GA’s are like goats... https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=KJV

Author:  AmyJo [ Thu May 17, 2018 5:14 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Paying tithing cancels out poverty says President Nelson

ajax18 wrote:
boo wrote:
I have always wondered how they can claim the benefits of tithing when they themselves don’t pay any . GAs haven’t paid tithing since BY and the 12 voted themselves exempt in 1845.Note all others who work full time for the church pay tithing or lose their jobs but the “brethren” who are paid $135,000/year and get new car every 2 years don’t pay a penny in tithing. Great deal eh.You notice I didn’t say a word about hypocrisy.


Do they only get paid $135k/yr? How much do the Apostles and 1st presidency get paid? Missionaries don't have to pay tithing either.


I should think the highest officials in TSCC are paid CEO salaries that non-profit CEO's get paid annually to represent their corporations. In today's dollars that is somewhere between $400,000-$800,000 per annum. Because of the top secret financial wheelings and dealings of the church, the members are not privy to this due to the lack of transparency. Plus, they get stock portfolios, housing, transportation, health coverage, clothing allowances etc. And since they don't retire but die in office, that supposedly makes up for a lack of a 401k or pension plan.

Author:  I have a question [ Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:49 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Paying tithing cancels out poverty says President Nelson

ajax18 wrote:
Missionaries don't have to pay tithing either.


This comment beggars belief.

Author:  moksha [ Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:34 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Paying tithing cancels out poverty says President Nelson

I have a question wrote:
ajax18 wrote:
Missionaries don't have to pay tithing either.

This comment beggars belief.

Young missionaries and General Authorities catch a break in regard to tithing.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/