Paying tithing cancels out poverty says President Nelson

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Amore
_Emeritus

Re: Paying tithing cancels out poverty says President Nelson

Post by _Amore »

I have a question wrote:I think what Nelson meant was "Members paying tithing, cancels out the risk of General Authorities experiencing poverty".

Yes. They make themselves out to be God & you need to pay up to be considered worthy. It doesn’t matter that your family is starving - pay up to God (the church). God (the church) is on your side as long as you do what they say and pay up and shut up.

_ElianaBryson
_Emeritus

Post by _ElianaBryson »

I am amazed how people believe in such type of promises made to them. In my opinion only education can bring you out of poverty I have seen many people getting it done but the real issue is nobody wants to get his/herself educated. Until and unless you do not differentiate yourself from others you won't be able to lead a better life than others.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

ElianaBryson wrote:I am amazed how people believe in such type of promises made to them. In my opinion only education can bring you out of poverty I have seen many people getting it done but the real issue is nobody wants to get his/herself educated. Until and unless you do not differentiate yourself from others you won't be able to lead a better life than others.

Generally speaking, to eradicate poverty there needs to be an improvement in child mortality. Improving child mortality is about access to clean water, access to medical support, access to schools, electricity. etc. That involves investing money in infrastructure, no in an eye-wateringly wealthy American corporation masquerading as a religion. If Nelson wanted to eradicate poverty in Africa he'd be telling members to put their money towards those things, or he'd be setting up real infrastructure projects that members could support.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

I have a question wrote:
ElianaBryson wrote:I am amazed how people believe in such type of promises made to them. In my opinion only education can bring you out of poverty I have seen many people getting it done but the real issue is nobody wants to get his/herself educated. Until and unless you do not differentiate yourself from others you won't be able to lead a better life than others.

Generally speaking, to eradicate poverty there needs to be an improvement in child mortality. Improving child mortality is about access to clean water, access to medical support, access to schools, electricity. etc. That involves investing money in infrastructure, no in an eye-wateringly wealthy American corporation masquerading as a religion. If Nelson wanted to eradicate poverty in Africa he'd be telling members to put their money towards those things, or he'd be setting up real infrastructure projects that members could support.

Rusty can't work on improving their standard of living first. That could lead to them having access to the internet and then omfg. First the brainwashing, then the hand washing. :lol:

Never mind the milk and meat, pass the Flavor-Aid, you're in the Third World now. :eek:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov