Paying tithing cancels out poverty says President Nelson

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_tapirrider
_Emeritus

Re: Paying tithing cancels out poverty says President Nelson

Post by _tapirrider »

mikegriffith1 wrote:President Nelson is right, and I predict that in the hereafter you will dearly regret your attacks on the Church.

:lol: Alrighty then. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIwE22d2sEI
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

6. The LDS Church obeys the law of tithing. The Bible teaches us that the true church will practice this divine principle, whereby members donate a tenth of their earnings to the church for the building up of the kingdom of God on the earth. The Bible promises great blessings in reward for obedience to this commandment, and millions of Latter-day Saints can testify that they have been greatly blessed as a result of obeying the law of tithing.

http://miketgriffith.com/files/12signs.htm

How did the Church amass $32 billion in stock options alone, and how does having such a portfolio build up the kingdom of God?

How does City Creek build up the Kingdom Of God?

Do you agree that members should pay their tithing even if it means they then cannot pay their rent or buy food?

When did the Church explain tithing was 10% of “earnings”?
What does “earnings” mean?

Why haven’t you corrected your material to reflect the Prophet’s counsel on use of correct names?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

I have a question wrote:
6. The LDS Church obeys the law of tithing. The Bible teaches us that the true church will practice this divine principle, whereby members donate a tenth of their earnings to the church for the building up of the kingdom of God on the earth. The Bible promises great blessings in reward for obedience to this commandment, and millions of Latter-day Saints can testify that they have been greatly blessed as a result of obeying the law of tithing.

http://miketgriffith.com/files/12signs.htm

How did the Church amass $32 billion in stock options alone, and how does having such a portfolio build up the kingdom of God?

How does City Creek build up the Kingdom Of God?

Do you agree that members should pay their tithing even if it means they then cannot pay their rent or buy food?

When did the Church explain tithing was 10% of “earnings”?
What does “earnings” mean?

Why haven’t you corrected your material to reflect the Prophet’s counsel on use of correct names?

People love rich organizations like the LDS Church. So, God decreed in his infinite wisdom that the church should be rich. And investment masters were called to the work and I saw accountants creating new and inventive ways to utilize tax-exempt entities. Riches abounded in His zion and His bossom. And the people rejoiced and the church was strengthened, yet satan knocketh at the door, oh ariel.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Flaming Meaux
_Emeritus

Post by _Flaming Meaux »

ajax18 wrote:I don't think the Church is in Africa for the money.

Well, perhaps not directly. I tend to agree that the amount of money the church can fleece from members in the third world is less than the operating costs of being in those locales (though I might be ignoring the value of land and government kickbacks the church receives for its local ‘charitable’ efforts too much), but having activity in the 3rd world is necessary to project an image of global reach and growth to the shrinking membership in the 1st world, where the dollahs fleeced are much more significant.

One figures that the church can see this is a long-term losing strategy, which is why prophetic commentary is shifting from the ‘stone cut out of the mountain’ view of membership that lasted until the early 2000s to the ‘the smaller we are, the truer we are’ view that is getting a lot more emphasis today. Once that view takes hold among the core membership largely centered in the intermountain West, I wouldn’t be surprised to see more significant regional consolidation in the 3rd world. Kind of depends on how many GA gigs the top wants to hand out to their connected buddies.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Flaming Meaux wrote:

Well, perhaps not directly. I tend to agree that the amount of money the church can fleece from members in the third world is less than the operating costs of being in those locales (though I might be ignoring the value of land and government kickbacks the church receives for its local ‘charitable’ efforts too much), but having activity in the 3rd world is necessary to project an image of global reach and growth to the shrinking membership in the 1st world, where the dollahs fleeced are much more significant.

One figures that the church can see this is a long-term losing strategy, which is why prophetic commentary is shifting from the ‘stone cut out of the mountain’ view of membership that lasted until the early 2000s to the ‘the smaller we are, the truer we are’ view that is getting a lot more emphasis today. Once that view takes hold among the core membership largely centered in the intermountain West, I wouldn’t be surprised to see more significant regional consolidation in the 3rd world. Kind of depends on how many GA gigs the top wants to hand out to their connected buddies.

Africa is simply Marketing expenditure.
Plus it would be interesting to see the final resting place of the Church dollars spent on construction projects etc on Church Buildings and other projects in Africa. I'm guessing it won't be local...
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Flaming Meaux wrote:

The church has to be in the Third World because their competitors are there. They don't want the community of Christians laughing at them--the SDAs, JWs and Pentecostals are in there baptizing their asses off. The Mormons already have a lot of trouble convincing the others they're Christians...Nelson's latest brain fart won't change that. The Smith doctrines are still a wild hash of boolsheet even by religious standards. :lol:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_2kings98
_Emeritus

Post by _2kings98 »

Nelson is right. Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of Heaven. Paying one's tithing, when done willingly and with a good attitude, will bring forth blessings. If it's down to the mortgage payment and tithing, the latter always prevails as Heavenly Father will provide.

I happily pay my tithing, because the sacrifice is worth it to further the work of the Lord. Anyone who gripes about it is probably ungrateful. There is NO excuse to not pay tithing in full.
----
The Church above all else, including family. I have disabled PM's and e-mails, because, quite frankly, the Internet is not for conversations and debating. It's for fighting. Simple as that.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

2kings98 wrote:Nelson is right. Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of Heaven. Paying one's tithing, when done willingly and with a good attitude, will bring forth blessings. If it's down to the mortgage payment and tithing, the latter always prevails as Heavenly Father will provide.

I happily pay my tithing, because the sacrifice is worth it to further the work of the Lord. Anyone who gripes about it is probably ungrateful. There is NO excuse to not pay tithing in full.

Oh how I love how you bear your testimony.

I have goosebumps. The Spirit is touching me all over.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Shulem wrote:
2kings98 wrote:Nelson is right. Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of Heaven. Paying one's tithing, when done willingly and with a good attitude, will bring forth blessings. If it's down to the mortgage payment and tithing, the latter always prevails as Heavenly Father will provide.

Oh how I love how you bear your testimony.

I have goosebumps. The Spirit is touching me all over.

Nobody can preach like a racist troll boy. :lol:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_I have a question
_Emeritus

I think what Nelson meant was "Members paying tithing, cancels out the risk of General Authorities experiencing poverty".