Paying tithing cancels out poverty says President Nelson

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Wonhyo
_Emeritus

Re: Paying tithing cancels out poverty says President Nelson

Post by _Wonhyo »

The so-called "prosperity gospel", which is that God blesses the righteous with material abundance, is one of the most damaging teachings in religion. Mormons have their own spin on the prosperity gospel with respect to the principle of tithing. For some strange reason, many Mormons and other Christians want to prove that they are righteous by being wealthy.

Why it is that some people seem to have no problem generating wealth, and others - though they give and serve and sincerely try - never seem to get ahead? Is it because the wealthy ones are paying tithing or are more righteous? Unfortunately, with his comment to the members in Kenya, Pres. Nelson has offered an answer, however unwitting or extemporaneous it may have been. These kinds of statements go down in the records and create or revive myths that may perpetuate for generations.

Rather than tying the payment of tithing to breaking free from - or remaining in - poverty's cycle, perhaps it would have been more effective to connect tithing to a different form of prosperity other than financial prosperity.

But, then again, Pres. Nelson may really believe it. He surely isn't the only one. His wife, Wendy, told the young adults of the Church in 2016 about the unhelpful story of George Q. Cannon's attitude on tithing:

https://www.lds.org/broadcasts/article/ ... eng#note6-

When we’re desperate to be guided by heaven, we work harder than ever to tune in to heaven. When we’re desperate to be physically healthy, we eat and exercise accordingly. No excuses! When we’re desperate to have more money, we eagerly follow the Lord’s law of finances—which is, of course, tithing!

Consider President George Q. Cannon’s approach to tithing when he was an impoverished young man. When his bishop commented on the large amount of tithing poor young George was paying, George said something like: “Oh bishop, I’m not paying tithing on what I make. I’m paying tithing on what I want to make.” And the very next year George earned exactly the amount of money he had paid tithing on the year before!"
It is better to travel well than to arrive.
_boo
_Emeritus

Post by _boo »

I have always wondered how they can claim the benefits of tithing when they themselves don’t pay any . GAs haven’t paid tithing since BY and the 12 voted themselves exempt in 1845.Note all others who work full time for the church pay tithing or lose their jobs but the “brethren” who are paid $135,000/year and get new car every 2 years don’t pay a penny in tithing. Great deal eh.You notice I didn’t say a word about hypocrisy.
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

boo wrote:I have always wondered how they can claim the benefits of tithing when they themselves don’t pay any . GAs haven’t paid tithing since BY and the 12 voted themselves exempt in 1845.Note all others who work full time for the church pay tithing or lose their jobs but the “brethren” who are paid $135,000/year and get new car every 2 years don’t pay a penny in tithing. Great deal eh.You notice I didn’t say a word about hypocrisy.

Do they only get paid $135k/year? How much do the Apostles and 1st presidency get paid? Missionaries don't have to pay tithing either.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Quasimodo wrote: I think that's what happened in Europe. It's a losing game.

People are more wary of scams, even if they miss out on lucrative offers by having their own dealership and sharing a cut of the profit their recruits, and their recruit's recruits bring in. You would think those Europeans should show some respect for an enterprise that could be associated with the Count della Ponzi e Cultrana - as far as they know.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Amore
_Emeritus

Post by _Amore »

Actually, Nelson might be right IF all of the tithing collectors actually obeyed THEIR responsibility in distributing TITHES to those in need, as instructed in Deut. 14:28-29 & by Jesus repeatedly.

Unfortunately, according to Oaks, not a penny of tithes go to the poor, so he essentially admitted that they disobey their part of the highest commandment. Meanwhile members are subject to anual “tithing settlements” and denied the right to see family/friends’ temple weddings & undergo cultish shaming unless they pay up for worthiness (unless they honor priestcraft). On top of that, as the Pharisees, GA’s place heavy burdens on members, corrupting scripture from tithing based on increase to new and greedily improved “income-based” cult-club dues.

The financial-tithing issue is so freaking obvious - I saw it way before my faith crisis. Part of me feels so bad for people being scammed out of so much money and in such a corrupt way, but another part of me thinks, "A fool and his money are soon parted."

According to Jesus, robbing the poor of tithes meant for them, GA’s are like goats... https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=KJV
_AmyJo
_Emeritus

Post by _AmyJo »

ajax18 wrote:
boo wrote:I have always wondered how they can claim the benefits of tithing when they themselves don’t pay any . GAs haven’t paid tithing since BY and the 12 voted themselves exempt in 1845.Note all others who work full time for the church pay tithing or lose their jobs but the “brethren” who are paid $135,000/year and get new car every 2 years don’t pay a penny in tithing. Great deal eh.You notice I didn’t say a word about hypocrisy.

Do they only get paid $135k/year? How much do the Apostles and 1st presidency get paid? Missionaries don't have to pay tithing either.

I should think the highest officials in TSCC are paid CEO salaries that non-profit CEO's get paid annually to represent their corporations. In today's dollars that is somewhere between $400,000-$800,000 per annum. Because of the top secret financial wheelings and dealings of the church, the members are not privy to this due to the lack of transparency. Plus, they get stock portfolios, housing, transportation, health coverage, clothing allowances etc. And since they don't retire but die in office, that supposedly makes up for a lack of a 401k or pension plan.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

ajax18 wrote:Missionaries don't have to pay tithing either.

This comment beggars belief.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

I have a question wrote:
ajax18 wrote:Missionaries don't have to pay tithing either.

This comment beggars belief.

Young missionaries and General Authorities catch a break in regard to tithing.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_mikegriffith1
_Emeritus

Post by _mikegriffith1 »

Maksutov wrote:
ajax18 wrote:I don't think the Church is in Africa for the money.

The Mormon church has always been about money, no matter where it is. That's why they hide their data whenever they can. Money is the other side of power and a doctrine that promises people Godhood ain't about humility and service. But some folks buy the talk and open their wallets. They will pay a great deal for their fix of unreality, willingly and righteously. :lol:

Mormonism has to pretend that it's growing and that it's inclusive. That's good business and that's behind the PR of the African push. It's a long game that they're playing. They aren't stupid about that.

President Nelson is right, and I predict that in the hereafter you will dearly regret your attacks on the Church.
Mike Griffith
LDS Information Web Page
http://ldsinfo.miketgriffith.com/
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

mikegriffith1 wrote:
Maksutov wrote:
The Mormon church has always been about money, no matter where it is. That's why they hide their data whenever they can. Money is the other side of power and a doctrine that promises people Godhood ain't about humility and service. But some folks buy the talk and open their wallets. They will pay a great deal for their fix of unreality, willingly and righteously. :lol:

Mormonism has to pretend that it's growing and that it's inclusive. That's good business and that's behind the PR of the African push. It's a long game that they're playing. They aren't stupid about that.

President Nelson is right, and I predict that in the hereafter you will dearly regret your attacks on the Church.

Oh dear. And I've been told that by members of other religions, too. They all left me equally fearful. :lol:

If fear is what motivates you, I pity you. I can think of nothing worse than believing in an abusive God who would punish people for using their own intelligence to solve their problems.

I attack everything that I consider unjust, deceptive, destructive. Mormonism fits that description. Sorry if you're content with the lies, that's your choice. Thankfully I have freedom of speech to defend my statements. In the theocracy you hope for I'm sure that would not be allowed. :wink:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov