"The Wounded Women of Polygamy Culture" MTC/Bishop Aftermath

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

"The Wounded Women of Polygamy Culture" MTC/Bishop Aftermath

Post by _Meadowchik »

https://sistersquorum.com/2018/04/13/th ... y-culture/

An excerpt:

I could use the scriptures to demonstrate that every time polygamy was enacted among God’s people, it caused great harm. I could point out that the Book of Mormon speaks against polygamy. But I’ll leave that to your personal study. Instead, let me speak to your souls: if something is physically, emotionally, and spiritually crippling to another human being, it is not designed by God.

That’s the measuring stick you need to use. Not a conference talk. Not any handbook. Not the limited vision of any church leader. I repeat: if something is physically, emotionally, and spiritually crippling to one of God’s children, God did not design it.

I’ve lived a charmed life. I’ve never had reason to go to a bishop with stories of abuse. But I have lots of reasons—each a sister injured–to shout that all of this recent mess is entangled in the church’s bold, but masked, acceptance of polygamy and the way it objectifies women like a notation in an accounts receivable column, the way it winks at men who don’t control their sexual desires.

My dear sisters, hear me. Right now, in this moment. You don’t need priesthood to claim your authority or your autonomy. Rise. The men will follow us, or they will go to hell all on their own.

Pretty strong calling out, I think, and one that lends an empowering voice to abuse victims.
_candygal
_Emeritus

Re: "The Wounded Women of Polygamy Culture" MTC/Bishop After

Post by _candygal »

I am more impressed than even surprised. This is good Mormon speak to get women to rise.
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

candygal wrote:I am more impressed than even surprised. This is good Mormon speak to get women to rise.

I agree. There are a variety of writers on that blog, but they want to make it accessible to women including believing Mormons.
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

How exactly is polygamy physically crippling to women?

How is it that all Judeo Christian religions don't endorse polygamy at least at some point in time given the Old Testament and the very heritage of humanity.

There never was nor is anything 50/50 when it comes to male/female relationships. All is fair in love and war. At least that's what I've seen from most people.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

ajax18 wrote:How exactly is polygamy physically crippling to women?

I imagine being a child bride would be limiting, as would adhering to rigid expectations imposed on women in that culture.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

I imagine being a child bride would be limiting, as would adhering to rigid expectations imposed on women in that culture.

The child bride thing is awful in my opinion, though I still don't quite see how it's physically crippling.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

ajax18 wrote:How exactly is polygamy physically crippling to women?

How is it that all Judeo Christian religions don't endorse polygamy at least at some point in time given the Old Testament and the very heritage of humanity.

There never was nor is anything 50/50 when it comes to male/female relationships. All is fair in love and war. At least that's what I've seen from most people.

First, the author is referring to Mormon polygamy, where women are told they must enter into polygamy in order to be saved.

Do you get it now?
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

ajax18 wrote:

The child bride thing is awful in my opinion, though I still don't quite see how it's physically crippling.

You don't think that a child experiencing sexual intercourse (which is, ftr, rape) with a fully grown man cannot be physically crippling?
_Xenophon
_Emeritus

Post by _Xenophon »

Meadowchik wrote:You don't think that a child experiencing sexual intercourse (which is, ftr, rape) with a fully grown man cannot be physically crippling?
Probably also worth adding that it isn't uncommon for the affects of depression (something probably quite common among child brides) can often manifest itself in very physical ways. Maybe your body is "technically" okay but if the psychological damage done to you results in panic attacks, debilitating migraines, extreme fatigue, joint pain or any of the other plethora of physical symptoms of depression it can be equally as damaging.

Thanks for sharing this, Meadowchik. Was a worthwhile read.
"If you consider what are called the virtues in mankind, you will find their growth is assisted by education and cultivation." -Xenophon of Athens
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

Xenophon wrote:
Meadowchik wrote:You don't think that a child experiencing sexual intercourse (which is, ftr, rape) with a fully grown man cannot be physically crippling?
Probably also worth adding that it isn't uncommon for the affects of depression (something probably quite common among child brides) can often manifest itself in very physical ways. Maybe your body is "technically" okay but if the psychological damage done to you results in panic attacks, debilitating migraines, extreme fatigue, joint pain or any of the other plethora of physical symptoms of depression it can be equally as damaging.

Thanks for sharing this, Meadowchik. Was a worthwhile read.

My pleasure. The author Deborah is a stand-up lady.