Denson v Bishop

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Denson v Bishop

Post by _Res Ipsa »

I thought I'd start a new thread that deals just with the current lawsuit. Feel free to copy in any of your posts from elsewhere that discuss the applicable law, statute of limitations, etc.

For starters, here is the complaint: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents ... hurch.html

You'll notice a cause of action for fraudulent concealment. That is a means by which the statute of limitations can be tolled (tolling means the statute stops running). That will probably not work for any claim for damages from the incident at the MTC. But it might work with other claims if she can show that the church fraudulently concealed the fact that it hadn't investigated Denson's report, hadn't disciplined Bishop, and put Bishop in a position to assault other women knowing of Denson's report. Otherwise, I'm not finding much that would get around the statute of limitations for the older reports.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951