Book of Mormon Names

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Re: Book of Mormon Names

Post by _Res Ipsa »

ajax18 wrote:I brought up the fact that Nephi wasn't an original name to my mother an things couldn't have gone worse. She just launched into a verbal assault on my character. She can't bear the though that I won't be with them in eternity. It really hurts for her to take it this way because I'm not the type to be disloyal to my family. No reasoning, just raw emotion from her. You can't have God and the afterlife if you don't believe the Mormon message according to her.

I have to admit the pressure to conform in beliefs is immense. It never really was my decision. It hurts like hell and I'm an independent adult. Imagine when I was dependent upon them for everything.

Looking back, do you think you ever actually believed?
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

ajax18 wrote:She just launched into a verbal assault on my character. She can't bear the though that I won't be with them in eternity.

A "verbal assault on your character?" Next time, maybe remind her that, according to Jesus, it might be them who aren't with you in eternity:

Matthew 5:22: But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

Looking back, do you think you ever actually believed?

I still believe a lot of it. But I noticed things I didn't believe as time went on. I started asking myself why people need to be baptized into Mormonism to be saved? Why can't they just live true principles and work their salvation out that way?

I didn't believe that mortal LDS leaders were infallible in receiving revelation. That was always a sore point for me. Anytime you tried to point out this obvious truth, you were attacked as under the influence of Satan and trying to tear down the church.

The hardest thing for me right now is how dry and painfully boring LDS Sunday School lessons are. I guess they're scared of people like me noticing they might make a mistake if they were to try to actually receive a new revelation. Why they can't just admit a mistake is possible is beyond me.

She actually told me to put those things I disagreed with on a shelf and come back to them when we knew more. Was there some church object lesson where they taught about the "shelf?"

Dr. Shades, it's my mom. She loves me more than anyone else in this world possibly could. I can't take disagreeing with her.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

That’s got to be rough. Sounds like you love her, too.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

Res Ipsa wrote:That’s got to be rough. Sounds like you love her, too.

Thanks Res Ipsa. She's my mother. Misguided or not, there's no denying she wants what is best for me. I know we've all had to endure similar experiences. It's heart wrenching.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Question - What is Zelphophelia?

A. The Danish fiancée of Prince Zelph in Shakespeare's play Zelph.
B. The Latin term meaning "one who loves Zelph".
C. A character from one of the Dr. Steuss books, Zelph on a Shelf. Zelphophelia may also be found in Lox in the Socks and Bagels.
D. All of the above.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace