What is Exaltation ?

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Tosh
_Emeritus

What is Exaltation ?

Post by _Tosh »

And, can it be lost? If so, how?

From Wikipedia...

Exaltation or Eternal Life is a belief among members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints that mankind can return to live in God's presence and continue as families. Exaltation is believed to be what God desires for all humankind. The Church teaches that through exaltation believers may become joint-heirs with Jesus Christ as stated in Romans 8:12 and Revelation 21:7. The objective of adherents is to strive for purity and righteousness and to become one with Jesus as Jesus is one with the Father. A verse in the canonized scripture, Doctrine and Covenants, states that those who are exalted will become gods, and a 1925 statement from the church's highest governing body said that "All men and women are in the similitude of the universal Father and Mother... capable, by experience through ages and aeons, of evolving into a God."
_slskipper
_Emeritus

Re: What is Exaltation ?

Post by _slskipper »

Well, since it is a made-up concept, you can say it is whatever you want it to be.

Just sayin...
_Hawkeye
_Emeritus

Post by _Hawkeye »

slskipper wrote:Well, since it is a made-up concept, you can say it is whatever you want it to be.

Just sayin'...

Touche
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

slskipper wrote:Well, since it is a made-up concept, you can say it is whatever you want it to be.

Just sayin'...

Sure, but if you want to keep church standing, you cannot veer off the party line too loud or persistently.

I used to be able to get on board with the concept of eternal baby-making, but then again I'd also let myself imagine that there'd be enough time to zoom around the universe, watch "movies" of the history of all time, and get to know the celestial version of all the people I loved and hated who end up there.
_Nightlion
_Emeritus

Post by _Nightlion »

Actually exaltation is found in the first chapter of the Book of Genesis. Reading it with the Restoration Eye we see that God created man in his 'likeness and image' meaning in his glory as well as his image. But these were male and female and these two were commanded to multiply and replenish the earth and in the next chapter they had finished all the hosts thereof. And THEN this pair were placed into the physical Garden of Eden and given to assimilate the gross elements of that sphere of existence called 'clay'. And after Adam had assimilated this gross tether that diminished his power of an exalted being trapping him upon this earth the same element was taken from Adam's side to assimilate the same within the woman. And I suppose in a kinder and gentler assimilation of the same tether to keep them in the Garden. Problem was that Eve had no conceptions.....why?.....because she had just finished all of them in the pre-earth commandment to multiply and replenish where they had finished all the hosts thereof. (that would be in the many billions).

The FALL therefore was required so that the woman could have her conceptions multiplied unto her and these then would be physical bodies because of the change already made upon them assimilating the grosser elements of this world.

Bottom line here for the faithless is that Joseph Smith did not make up exaltation. Being God's living prophet who had received the gift and power of the Holy Ghost he expounded truths that had been included from the beginning. Can I get an AMEN?

I forgot to mention that when the man and woman were first 'made' which was actually their resurrection to eternal life, they were ALREADY MARRIED as they were not afterwards given to each other before being commanded to multiply. THERE IS THE BIG CLUE.
The Apocalrock Manifesto and Wonders of Eternity: New Mormon Theology
https://www.docdroid.net/KDt8RNP/the-apocalrock-manifesto.pdf
https://www.docdroid.net/IEJ3KJh/wonders-of-eternity-2009.pdf
My YouTube videos:HERE
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Eternal condescension. :lol:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Nightlion
_Emeritus

Post by _Nightlion »

Maksutov wrote:Eternal condescension. :lol:

Which is the greater condescension? Believing too much or believing nothing at all?
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

Nightlion wrote:
Maksutov wrote:Eternal condescension. :lol:

Which is the greater condescension? Believing too much or believing nothing at all?

Strawman.

I believe that if there is a God, God is not expecting me to believe other people speak with God's authority. I would have more reverence for God than that.
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

In Mormonism, it is the same type of concept as OTIII in Scientology. A feel good made up goal designed to keep the masses obedient.

I challenge any believer to come up with an in depth description of what actually happens in the average day of an exalted being and why such a description isn't any more ridiculous than what Scientology teaches.

What does an exalted being from LDS theology do on day 85 of year 1,542,685,265,862,792,547,963 of his existence that he has not already done billions of times before?

Really, all LDS theology promises for exaltation is the ability to make babies forever. Think about it. We are Elohim's kids. On this earth alone there have been hundreds of billions of His kids, and He has created worlds without numbers. So we are the sons and daughters of some god who has trillions of kids.

That makes us special.

It reminds me of the case of the fertility doctor who used his own sperm to father over 75 kids. How special those kids must feel to know they all share the same dad.

Exaltation is a concept design to milk money and obedience from the gullible.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_Nightlion
_Emeritus

Post by _Nightlion »

Meadowchik wrote:
Nightlion wrote:Which is the greater condescension? Believing too much or believing nothing at all?

Strawman.

I believe that if there is a God, God is not expecting me to believe other people speak with God's authority. I would have more reverence for God than that.

You condemn yourself with your own logic. Having experience with God is not speaking for him. It is simply telling the truth.