Intellect vs Instinct in LDS Theology

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Intellect vs Instinct in LDS Theology

Post by _moksha »

I remember sometime in the past of asking the question, on a semi-FAIR minded forum, whether suddenly having the million-fold brainpower to manage celestial mechanics might dim our primal urge to boink. "Not so", the semi-FAIR minded apologists said, "we would retain our basic personalities".

I am still a bit skeptical that these two ideas, of unimaginable intellect and unquenchable primal instinct, go together. It seemed more like an earthly horniness was being forged into a wishful theology without a great deal of forethought regarding the cerebral aspects of immense celestial progression.

I suppose that those same apologists might point out that modern human sadists still retain the amoeba's tendency to flagellate.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Re: Intellect vs Instinct in LDS Theology

Post by _Maksutov »

Theosexuality is certainly an important topic. Kinsey has surely had enough time on the other side to provide us with a report. :ugeek:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

The part of the brain having to do with sexual pleasure shall remain within earth bound proportions, while the rest of the brain shall celestialize and create!!! Well hey, it's as a good a theory as anything else.... :geek:
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

The topic of sex in the hereafter comes, I believe, mainly from the ignorance of how 19th Century prophets felt that life could be created. Adam was not birthed. If, in the next life, we become Gods and Goddesses, we do not need to go through pregnancy and delivery in order to create life. And we certainly don't need to have sex. As I mentioned in another thread, artificial insemination is alive and well. Just because the 19th Century folks weren't aware of it, doesn't mean that it didn't exist. They made assumptions based on what they knew.

Frankly, I don't know why sex couldn't exist in the hereafter. However, it is not something that is needed to create life, so it's not something that needs to be "reserved" for the righteous. Sex is an extension of love. If we have an abundance of love in the hereafter, why wouldn't we have the ability to express it?
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB

Post by _Maksutov »

Almost the only thing I remember from The Godmakers was "endless celestial sex..." :lol: :lol: :lol:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Dr Exiled
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr Exiled »

Maksutov wrote:Almost the only thing I remember from The Godmakers was "endless celestial sex..." :lol: :lol: :lol:

Decker didn't realize he was actually promoting Mormonism in some respects.
"Religion is about providing human community in the guise of solving problems that don’t exist or failing to solve problems that do and seeking to reconcile these contradictions and conceal the failures in bogus explanations otherwise known as theology." - Kishkumen 
_Jesse Pinkman
_Emeritus

Post by _Jesse Pinkman »

Exiled wrote:
Maksutov wrote:Almost the only thing I remember from The Godmakers was "endless celestial sex..." :lol: :lol: :lol:

Decker didn't realize he was actually promoting Mormonism in some respects.

Yeah. Or at least promoting making the Celestial Kingdom your goal if you are already Mormon. :lol:
So you're chasing around a fly and in your world, I'm the idiot?

"Friends don't let friends be Mormon." Sock Puppet, MDB.

Music is my drug of choice.

"And that is precisely why none of us apologize for holding it to the celestial standard it pretends that it possesses." Kerry, MDB