Eternal Marriage?

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_ozemc
_Emeritus

Re: Eternal Marriage?

Post by _ozemc »

VegasRefugee wrote:
ozemc wrote:
Why should those of us, who are not Mormon, believe in an "eternal" marriage that has to be performed in a temple, if Jesus Himself said there's no such thing?

that's the wrapup of this issue in a nutshell. The reason Mormonism exists is because the social constructs it has built revolve around retention of the faithful, otherwise this stuff would have died out after the Mormons were run out of Illinois and scattered to join other kooky religious collectives.

The story of Mormonism are stories of convincing others to hang on until your dead. Because you can never guarantee delivery of the goods the situation snowballs and the meme is perpetuated.

Irony impaired individuals such as Mormons and fundy christians cannot see anything outside their interview. Their brains (and im serious...its proven medically via Cat Scans/etc) are "blind" to the reality of certain siuations. Conflicting data is ignored or discounted if it is blatant.

Well, I used to be one of those fundy christians who believed everything I was taught in Sunday School, creationism, a 6000 year old earth, etc.

At some point, I'm not really sure when, but I think it was when I begin an earnest interest in astronomy, that I started questioning my own beliefs. When you see that vastness of the universe, and how there are stars as big as our solar system, you start to think that what you've been told all your life is really very limiting in scope. I mean, I was reading an article the other day that "proved" that we were alone in the universe. Alone? When we don't even know what's in the next galaxy, let alone one that's 10 million light-years away? I'm sorry, but that's ludicrous.

We might be alone, but the odds are really against it. I kind of take the view that Jodie Foster did in "First Contact": "Well, if we are alone, it's a mighty big waste of space."

As I've written elsewhere, for all we know, there are a million planets, just like this one, with people on them, just like us, with rivers and oceans, just like us, but, we'll never know, because there's 1 million light-years between them.

People that "know" we are alone, are, in my opinion, very close-minded.

I believe that many of the religions out there are insulting to God, or whomever is out there, if anybody. They try to put Him in a box. Whoever He is, He is far greater and more magnificient than any of us could ever know. To think that some words written down by people that were really just as clueless as I am about the big picture is the "truth" or the "way" is closing down your brain, and not using it the way it was intended. Maybe we should be using it the way God wanted us too? To try and understand it all?

I do think that there almost has to be some sort of higher intelligence that made all this. It just seems too logical. Of course, maybe that's just the way it's supposed to be. Who knows?

Anyway, that's my rant. :-)
_maklelan
_Emeritus

Post by _maklelan »

richardMdBorn wrote:
Dr. Shades wrote:I'm rather sure that Mormons interpret those words of Jesus to mean that the ordinance of marriage isn't physically performed in the Celestial Kingdom. In other words, one can continue a marriage there, but cannot commence one there.

This is because He says "they neither marry, nor are given in marriage;" He doesn't say "their marriages end"--a subtle distinction, but one which makes sense in my opinion.
Shades is right that that's how TBMs interpret this passage. However, Jesus was asked which one the woman would be married to and responded that people in heaven would be like the angels. The strong implication is that no one is married in heaven.

The text explains that the men referred to in the story would be as angels in heaven, not everyone. This is an easy trap that people often fall into now that few who study the Bible understand the original languages.

VegasRefugee wrote:Irony impaired individuals such as Mormons and fundy christians cannot see anything outside their interview. Their brains (and im serious...its proven medically via Cat Scans/etc) are "blind" to the reality of certain siuations. Conflicting data is ignored or discounted if it is blatant.

I'd love to read the papers on Mormons inside CAT scans. Would you mind providing me that source?
I like you Betty...

My blog
_richardMdBorn
_Emeritus

Post by _richardMdBorn »

maklelan wrote:
richardMdBorn wrote:
Dr. Shades wrote:I'm rather sure that Mormons interpret those words of Jesus to mean that the ordinance of marriage isn't physically performed in the Celestial Kingdom. In other words, one can continue a marriage there, but cannot commence one there.

This is because He says "they neither marry, nor are given in marriage;" He doesn't say "their marriages end"--a subtle distinction, but one which makes sense in my opinion.
Shades is right that that's how TBMs interpret this passage. However, Jesus was asked which one the woman would be married to and responded that people in heaven would be like the angels. The strong implication is that no one is married in heaven.

The text explains that the men referred to in the story would be as angels in heaven, not everyone. This is an easy trap that people often fall into now that few who study the Bible understand the original languages.
What's your evidence for this? Leon Morris, who knew Greek, wrote "For those in this group [the resurrection of the righteous], Jesus says three things. First, marriage does not apply to them." The Gospel According to St. Luke, Tyndale New Testament Commentaries, 291.
_maklelan
_Emeritus

Post by _maklelan »

richardMdBorn wrote:
maklelan wrote:
richardMdBorn wrote:

What's your evidence for this? Leon Morris, who knew Greek, wrote "For those in this group [the resurrection of the righteous], Jesus says three things. First, marriage does not apply to them." The Gospel According to St. Luke, Tyndale New Testament Commentaries, 291.

But there are as many different interpretations ofthis scripture as there are people who know Greek, and there's nothing in the Greek that would in any way, shape or form lead conclusively to his statement. This is an interpretation, and it's as driven by dogma as insisting that God doesn't have a body.
I like you Betty...

My blog
_richardMdBorn
_Emeritus

Post by _richardMdBorn »

maklelan wrote:
richardMdBorn wrote:
maklelan wrote:
richardMdBorn wrote:

But there are as many different interpretations ofthis scripture as there are people who know Greek, and there's nothing in the Greek that would in any way, shape or form lead conclusively to his statement. This is an interpretation, and it's as driven by dogma as insisting that God doesn't have a body.
So it's not driven by a lack of knowledge of Greek. If I can find it, I'll copy a funny list of posts from UTLM in which I ridicule a stupid interpretation about celibacy from "Insights" and get a silly response from an apologist.
_maklelan
_Emeritus

Post by _maklelan »

I'd love to see it.
I like you Betty...

My blog