Drafting "100 Books Every Christian Should Read"

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Re: Drafting "100 Books Every Christian Should Read"

Post by _Maksutov »

MsJack, are you familiar with this work?

https://www.amazon.com/Village-Enlighte ... 0252068289

From the Back Cover
The Village Enlightenment in America focuses on three nineteenth-century spiritual activists who epitomized the marriage of science and religion fostered in antebellum, pre-Darwinian America by the American Enlightenment.

A theologian, writer, and apologist for the nascent Mormon movement, as well as an amateur scientist, Orson Pratt wrote Key to the Universe, or a New Theory of Its Mechanism to establish a scientific base for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Robert Hare, an inventor and ardent convert to spiritualism, used his scientific expertise to lend credence to the spiritualist movement. Phineas Parkhurst Quimby, generally considered the initiator of the American mind-cure movement, developed an overtly religious concept of science and used it to justify his system of theology.

Pratt, Hare, and Quimby all employed a potent combination of popular science and Baconianism to legitimate their new religious ideas. Using the same terms -- matter, ether, magnetic force -- to account for the behavior of particles, planetary rotation, and the influence of the Holy Ghost, these agents of the Enlightenment constructed complex systems intended to demonstrate a fundamental harmony between the physical and the metaphysical.

Through the lives and work of these three influential men, The Village Enlightenment in America opens a window to a time when science and religion, instead of seeming fundamentally at odds with each other, appeared entirely reconcilable.

Hard to prioritize purchases in the Christmas season. I'm sure you understand. :wink:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Always Changing
_Emeritus

Post by _Always Changing »

huckelberry wrote:Thinking of my own experience of being an exMormon who later decided to try and open the door to understand something of the rest of the Christian tradition I found Irenaeus Against Heresy very helpful. It starts slow with more than you wanted to know about 2nd century heterodox groups. It then presents a clear concise presentation of basic Christian doctrine.
Invaluable book. Helped me sort out the apostasy, and understand various forms of gnosticism.
Maksutov wrote:MsJack, are you familiar with this work?

Hard to prioritize purchases in the Christmas season. I'm sure you understand. :wink:
And many on this list are free!
Problems with auto-correct:
In Helaman 6:39, we see the Badmintons, so similar to Skousenite Mormons, taking over the government and abusing the rights of many.
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

Always Changing wrote:And many on this list are free!

Indeed. When I finish the list, I plan to include links to the ones that are available for free online.

In other news, think I'm going to have to remove Ravi Zacharias from this list, because DAMN.
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

MsJack wrote:
Always Changing wrote:And many on this list are free!

Indeed. When I finish the list, I plan to include links to the ones that are available for free online.

In other news, think I'm going to have to remove Ravi Zacharias from this list, because DAMN.

Yeah, that dude should just pack it up.
_Morley
_Emeritus

Post by _Morley »

Very nice work, Jack. I admit that I kind of expected Hans Küng's On Being a Christian to be on your list.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Bumping in hopes of a reboot.
_Johannes
_Emeritus

Post by _Johannes »

Augustine's City of God should be in there somewhere.

I do not like apologetics, but there should also be more G. K. Chesterton. Maybe his fiction - The Man Who Was Thursday or the Father Brown stories. Probably the nearest recent equivalent was Andrew Greeley, with his Bishop Ryan novels. Greeley wrote non-fiction too, which is worth reading.

I like the books of Richard Holloway. His later stuff is very challenging and too unorthodox even for me, but you can't ignore it if you want to know what being a Christian might mean in the modern world.

There are the poems of R. S. Thomas, which every person in the ministry should read. I briefly met him once.
_Johannes
_Emeritus

Post by _Johannes »

Oh, and following my bias towards British writers, Fr Ronald Knox is also worth reading (he was a Roman Catholic, of course).
_Always Changing
_Emeritus

Post by _Always Changing »

Johannes wrote:Augustine's City of God should be in there somewhere.

I do not like apologetics, but there should also be more G. K. Chesterton. Maybe his fiction - The Man Who Was Thursday or the Father Brown stories. Probably the nearest recent equivalent was Andrew Greeley, with his Bishop Ryan novels. Greeley wrote non-fiction too, which is worth reading.

I like the books of Richard Holloway. His later stuff is very challenging and too unorthodox even for me, but you can't ignore it if you want to know what being a Christian might mean in the modern world.

There are the poems of R. S. Thomas, which every person in the ministry should read. I briefly met him once.
"City of God" is on my kindle, and I just started it. Father Brown is on my kindle, and is worthy of a re-read; those stories are dense and complex, and not for those who would rather read fast. Probably the reason why they are short stories. I got tired of Greeley's novels. So deeply encrusted with wealthy Irish Chicagoans. Difficulty identifying. I am more the Flannery O'Connor type. But y'all already knew that.
Problems with auto-correct:
In Helaman 6:39, we see the Badmintons, so similar to Skousenite Mormons, taking over the government and abusing the rights of many.
_Yahoo Bot
_Emeritus

Post by _Yahoo Bot »

No Tolstoy? Hmm.