Museum of the Bible opening

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Museum of the Bible opening

Post by _Maksutov »

The museum struggles with the use of the Bible to justify slavery and promote the Civil War.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act ... edc206d2ce

"The leaders of the Museum of the Bible asked many scholars for input about how to depict the Bible’s role in slavery and the Civil War, and ultimately chose to include the Confederate imagery. “We have to acknowledge the proslavery argument was often drawn from the Bible,” said Seth Pollinger, the museum’s director of content.

It was a fraught choice. Jonathan Alger stood last week in the nearly completed exhibit on the impact of the Bible in the world that his firm, C&G Partners, designed for the museum. He looked at the case showing proslavery arguments based on the Bible, including a 19th-century book titled, “A Brief Examination of Scriptural Testimony on the Institution of Slavery.”"

It looks like Donald Trump is poised to make some bucks off it:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act ... 6c2f38b746

The leadership of the Museum of the Bible has been working hard in the run-up to this weekend’s opening to emphasize the inclusive, academic, apolitical nature of the museum, which organizers say will be the world’s largest dedicated to the Bible and sits just off the Mall.

And so its opening black-tie gala Thursday night is presenting a challenge: The $50,000-a-table fundraising event is at the Trump hotel.

Officials at the nonprofit museum say the decision was for pragmatic, scheduling reasons but some museum employees and academic consultants refused to enter the hotel affiliated with the controversial president.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Re: Museum of the Bible opening

Post by _Philo Sofee »

What, in all honesty, is the good of a museum of an old book? Just curious. We are no longer in the old Medieval days of thinking, why keep a book going that keeps us there? It makes very little sense.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

Philo, the Bible was written a thousand plus years before medieval days. Why should interest in it keep us in those medieval days?

I know little about the museum but presenting how people used the book to support and or condemn slavery is a good illustration on the limits and problems with trying to use it as an answer to everything book. (or thinking it is inerrant)
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

huckelberry wrote:Philo, the Bible was written a thousand plus years before medieval days. Why should interest in it keep us in those medieval days?

I know little about the museum but presenting how people used the book to support and or condemn slavery is a good illustration on the limits and problems with trying to use it as an answer to everything book. (or thinking it is inerrant)

What and how an individual regards the Bible will affect how one applies the Bible. Those that seek the truth will regard any Biblical conflict as likely their own misunderstanding. Those that seek to promote their own agenda will seek only to either ignore such conflicts or claim such conflicts are errors demonstrating their own superiority. :ugeek:
_Choyo Chagas
_Emeritus

Post by _Choyo Chagas »

Philo Sofee wrote:What, in all honesty, is the good of a museum of an old book? Just curious.
how many of museums - around the world - show mummies?
or a religion uses them as theology? (ask shulem...)

Philo Sofee wrote:We are no longer in the old Medieval days of thinking, why keep a book going that keeps us there?
aren't we there?
lenin and stalin (for example) were mummified in the twentieth century...

Philo Sofee wrote:It makes very little sense.
as rebuild the ark.
--- Johan's Ark in Dordrecht, Netherlands. 137 meters (450 ft) long and carried on a platform made up of 25 LASH barges, this is the only full-scale Ark interpretation that is actually floating and mobile.
--- Noah's Ark theme park at Ma Wan Island, Hong Kong, China. This interpretation is also 137 meters (450 ft) long.
--- Ark Encounter theme park located on a hill in Grant County, Kentucky, United States. It is 155 meters (510 ft) long.

huckelberry wrote:I know little about the museum but presenting how people used the book to support and or condemn slavery is a good illustration on the limits and problems with trying to use it as an answer to everything book. (or thinking it is inerrant)
LittleNipper wrote:What and how an individual regards the Bible will affect how one applies the Bible.
some individuals use it:
- as a device to hide their ignorance behind the wings
- as a device to overload the bandwidth of a site

sounds familiar?
Choyo Chagas is Chairman of the Big Four, the ruler of the planet from "The Bull's Hour" ( Russian: Час Быка), a social science fiction novel written by Soviet author and paleontologist Ivan Yefremov in 1968.
Six months after its publication Soviet authorities banned the book and attempted to remove it from libraries and bookshops.
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

Choyo Chagas wrote:some individuals use it:
- as a device to hide their ignorance behind the wings
- as a device to overload the bandwidth of a site

sounds familiar?

You speak as though you were the one footing the bill, and all those reading along were wasting precious energy that would have been better applied in the study of your precious science fiction. :ugeek:
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

LittleNipper wrote:
What and how an individual regards the Bible will affect how one applies the Bible.

Nipper, I think this is a true and straightforward observation.

Little Nipper wrote: Those that seek the truth will regard any Biblical conflict as likely their own misunderstanding. Those that seek to promote their own agenda will seek only to either ignore such conflicts or claim such conflicts are errors demonstrating their own superiority. :ugeek:

If a description of events and relationships appears to have conflicts there is still of course a truth not altered by the apparent conflicts. People need to seek that out. Prayer reason study of history and science could all be used to clarify our understanding and reveal that truth.

I think everybody ,including me and you may at times ignore a conflict because of our own agenda. It is good to stop and question oneself from time to time.

Seeking understanding to demonstrate personal superiority is corrupt. When it happens it is still possible that the understanding is true while the superiority corrupt. I hope we both avoid that.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

It would be interesting to tour. I would like to see if a plurality of views of the Bible is represented.
_richardMdBorn
_Emeritus

Post by _richardMdBorn »

Maksutov wrote:It would be interesting to tour. I would like to see if a plurality of views of the Bible is represented.
My brother is an imaging expert who has worked on the Archimedes Palimpsest and the Dead Sea Scheolls. He did some work for the Museum of the Bible. Next time I see him, I’ll ask him for details about it.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

richardMdBorn wrote:
Maksutov wrote:It would be interesting to tour. I would like to see if a plurality of views of the Bible is represented.
My brother is an imaging expert who has worked on the Archimedes Palimpsest and the Dead Sea Scheolls. He did some work for the Museum of the Bible. Next time I see him, I’ll ask him for details about it.

Please do. Thanks.