Excommunication = Spiritual Death

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Amore
_Emeritus

Re: Excommunication = Spiritual Death

Post by _Amore »

Excommunication is entirely of men - not of God. It happens more based on leadership roulette. One of the most mature, loving and intelligent people I know was excommunicated for forinication while my mom who committed adultery had to just skip sacrament a few times. My friend happened to have gotten the Stake President’s daughter pregnant, thus the most extreme social religious punishment was inflicted.

However, how I’ve seen my friend develop, the excommunication served to first hurt like hell, but then he kind of awoke to more than he would’ve without it. So in a way, the excommunication inspired spiritual birth for him. He advanced so much in healing that despite the major shunning and pain he suffered from his ward, when his dad got old and needed help, he took him to church each Sunday, despite having been excommunicated.

Jesus never excommunicated but was excommunicated to the max. Religious leaders may want you to think of it as spiritual death, but really it’s a group of people hypocritically saying, “That sin is unacceptable” while they have similar sins.
_whitewolf
_Emeritus

Post by _whitewolf »

It is still very difficult to get the history of the Church at Church. If you go to the Church website and are willing to put in the time, most of it is there now. It is a recent development. If you're still willing to be a TBM, so be it.

Back in the day, however, the only place in the world where you could not find Mormon history was in the Church itself. This deeply ironic circumstance led me to conclude for the last several decades that the ultimate sacrament or ordinance in the church is, indeed, excommunication. It is the circumstance of merely suffering for the sake of honesty and truth.
_Hawkeye
_Emeritus

Post by _Hawkeye »

Amore wrote:Excommunication is entirely of men - not of God. It happens more based on leadership roulette. One of the most mature, loving and intelligent people I know was excommunicated for forinication while my mom who committed adultery had to just skip sacrament a few times. My friend happened to have gotten the Stake President’s daughter pregnant, thus the most extreme social religious punishment was inflicted.

However, how I’ve seen my friend develop, the excommunication served to first hurt like hell, but then he kind of awoke to more than he would’ve without it. So in a way, the excommunication inspired spiritual birth for him. He advanced so much in healing that despite the major shunning and pain he suffered from his ward, when his dad got old and needed help, he took him to church each Sunday, despite having been excommunicated.

Jesus never excommunicated but was excommunicated to the max. Religious leaders may want you to think of it as spiritual death, but really it’s a group of people hypocritically saying, “That sin is unacceptable” while they have similar sins.

Very well said
_2kings98
_Emeritus

Post by _2kings98 »

AmyJo wrote:"It also means that you don't get to be with your family in the eternity," she said. "They essentially kicked me out of heaven."...

What a poor, picked upon victim, right? She has no one to blame but herself. She chose to make trouble over a topic that shouldn't even be discussed to begin with. I mean, really? Women holding the priesthood? It's a good punchline, but not a reality. She knows that. Instead of staying quiet like a good member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints would, she disrespected her leaders, the Church, and by extension all 16 million of us. She basically spat upon all aforementioned parties.

She chose to ignore warnings. She calculated and planned so that she'd besmirch the Church's good name. It's hard to feel sympathy for someone who has pulled so many stunts.

Also, she's making it seem as if the being "kicked out" is permanent. Not so! She can repent of her evil ways, her opposing Church leaders, and she can abandon the sin. Then, with the help of her priesthood leaders, she can enter the waters of re-baptism.

Perhaps, instead of playing the victim, she should literally get with the program. If she spends the rest of her life this way, she will get what she claims hurts her.
----
The Church above all else, including family. I have disabled PM's and e-mails, because, quite frankly, the Internet is not for conversations and debating. It's for fighting. Simple as that.
_tapirrider
_Emeritus

Post by _tapirrider »

2kings98 wrote:It's hard to feel sympathy for someone who has pulled so many stunts.

:lol:
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Is it waters of re-baptism? Or re-waters of re-baptism? Or re-waters of re-baptism?
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

tapirrider wrote:
2kings98 wrote:It's hard to feel sympathy for someone who has pulled so many stunts.

_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Res Ipsa wrote:Is it waters of re-baptism? Or re-waters of re-baptism? Or re-waters of re-baptism?

You said the second option twice.
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:Is it waters of re-baptism? Or re-waters of re-baptism? Or re-waters of re-baptism?

You said the second option twice.

Quite right. The second one should read "re-waters of baptism."

My style manuals don't seem to cover this.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

tapirrider wrote:It can be devastating to a believer who finds themselves locked out of everything they hold dear.
I can fully understand that a person may feel separated; however, real friends, and family that understands the spiritual aspect of Christianity will fully understand that if a person has been excommunicated due to differences in biblical interpretation that is a far cry from excommunication for shameful behavior. The Christian knows that the ultimate judge is Christ and the Holy Spirit. There is no earthly organization or group that can separate anyone from the LOVE of GOD by any edict. The only power excommunication has is to drive one to capitulate and if one prayerfully, biblically, and spiritually feels that he is doing the right thing then what others would have him do is negated. Martin Luther was eventually excommunicated from the Roman Catholic church by the pope ---- what value did it serve?