Was Joseph Smith familiar with 6th and 7th Books of Moses?

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Was Joseph Smith familiar with 6th and 7th Books of Moses?

Post by _Maksutov »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sixth_and ... s_of_Moses

The Sixth and Seventh Books of Moses is an 18th- or 19th-century magical text allegedly written by Moses, and passed down as hidden (or lost) books of the Christian Old Testament. A grimoire, a text of magical incantations and seals, it purports to instruct the reader in the spells used to create the miracles portrayed in the Bible. The work was printed with annexes of reputed Talmudic magic names, words and incantation, many taken from Christian biblical passages. It shows diagrams of "Seals": magical drawings accompanied by incantations intended to perform various tasks, from controlling weather or people to contacting the dead or Christian religious figures.

Copies have been traced to 18th-century German pamphlets, but an 1849 printing, aided by the appearance of the popular press in the 19th century, spread the text through Germany and Northern Europe to German Americans and eventually helped popularize the texts among African Americans in the Southern United States and the Caribbean and Anglophone West Africa. It influenced European Occult Spiritualism as well as folk religion in the American South (Hoodoo), the Caribbean (Rastafari), and West Africa.[1]

An older magical text, a fourth-century Greek papyrus entitled Eighth Book of Moses otherwise unrelated to the Sixth and Seventh Books, was found in Thebes in the 19th century and published as part of the Greek Magical Papyri.[2]
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Choyo Chagas
_Emeritus

Re: Was Joseph Smith familiar with 6th and 7th Books of Mose

Post by _Choyo Chagas »

as moses has written his own death and burial in the fifth book, it is not a wonder he wrote a lot more after death

deuteronomy = moses' fifth book wrote:34:5. So Moses the servant of the LORD died there in the land of Moab, according to the word of the LORD.
34:6. And he buried him in a valley in the land of Moab, over against Beth-peor: but no man knoweth of his sepulchre unto this day.
Choyo Chagas is Chairman of the Big Four, the ruler of the planet from "The Bull's Hour" ( Russian: Час Быка), a social science fiction novel written by Soviet author and paleontologist Ivan Yefremov in 1968.
Six months after its publication Soviet authorities banned the book and attempted to remove it from libraries and bookshops.
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

Choyo Chagas wrote:as moses has written his own death and burial in the fifth book, it is not a wonder he wrote a lot more after death

deuteronomy = moses' fifth book wrote:34:5. So Moses the servant of the LORD died there in the land of Moab, according to the word of the LORD.
34:6. And he buried him in a valley in the land of Moab, over against Beth-peor: but no man knoweth of his sepulchre unto this day.

It is obvious that Joshua included the epitaph. He was Moses' successor. There is nothing wrong with Deuteronomy. That book is not in question.
_Choyo Chagas
_Emeritus

Post by _Choyo Chagas »

LittleNipper wrote:It is obvious that Joshua included the epitaph. He was Moses' successor.
joshua had his own book.
he (or one of the unnamed, unknown writers of Old Testament who may have written it) should have begun with moses' epitaph

fyi
elliott roosevelt wrote a book titled "as he saw it", instead including his own experiences to any book of his father, franklin delano roosevelt
got you the parallel?

LittleNipper wrote:There is nothing wrong with Deuteronomy. That book is not in question.
there are lot of wrong things with deuteronomy, and with the whole Old Testament; with the New Testament as well...

but you are not interested in them
The three wise monkeys (Japanese: 三猿 Hepburn: san'en or sanzaru, alternatively 三匹の猿 sanbiki no saru, literally "three monkeys"), sometimes called the three mystic apes, are a pictorial maxim. Together they embody the proverbial principle "see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil". The three monkeys are Mizaru, covering his eyes, who sees no evil; Kikazaru, covering his ears, who hears no evil; and Iwazaru, covering his mouth, who speaks no evil.

- Image -
Choyo Chagas is Chairman of the Big Four, the ruler of the planet from "The Bull's Hour" ( Russian: Час Быка), a social science fiction novel written by Soviet author and paleontologist Ivan Yefremov in 1968.
Six months after its publication Soviet authorities banned the book and attempted to remove it from libraries and bookshops.
_Hagoth
_Emeritus

Post by _Hagoth »

LittleNipper wrote:There is nothing wrong with Deuteronomy. That book is not in question.

Except for maybe the fact that it was unknown until 900 years after Moses and just happened to be noticed by King Josiah in the (already sacked) temple, where it had apparently been hanging out unnoticed for centuries, and was "found" just when it was exactly what Josiah needed to convince people to fall into step, and said exactly what he needed said. Nothing suspicious about that. :wink:
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill and Ted
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” - Mark Twain
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Hagoth wrote:

Except for maybe the fact that it was unknown until 900 years after Moses and just happened to be noticed by King Josiah in the (already sacked) temple, where it had apparently been hanging out unnoticed for centuries, and was "found" just when it was exactly what Josiah needed to convince people to fall into step, and said exactly what he needed said. Nothing suspicious about that. :wink:

Oh dear. Are you saying that Deuteronomy might be something like the Donation of Constantine? :eek:
_Hagoth
_Emeritus

Post by _Hagoth »

Maksutov wrote:Oh dear. Are you saying that Deuteronomy might be something like the Donation of Constantine? :eek:

Sure, but I'm also saying it might be something like most sacred texts, from Genesis to the Book of Abraham.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill and Ted
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” - Mark Twain
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Hagoth wrote:
Maksutov wrote:Oh dear. Are you saying that Deuteronomy might be something like the Donation of Constantine? :eek:

Sure, but I'm also saying it might be something like most sacred texts, from Genesis to the Book of Abraham.

So much for that. At least we still have the Ascended Masters to get our holy horse feces from. :lol:
_SonOfZeus
_Emeritus

Post by _SonOfZeus »

If so I've never seen any references to them, nor do Smith's teachings bear any familiarity to them. For example: “I order, command and conjure Thee Sazlij, by Agios, Sedul, by Sother, Veduij, by Sabaot, Soze, Amonzion * Adoij by Heloim, Jaho, by the Veritas Jehovah * Kawa, by Alha, natos that ye must appear before me in a human form, so truly as Daniel over­came and conquered Baal."

Smith was reputed to have possessed a Jupiter talisman, which he is said to have had on him at the time of his martyrdom; however, there's no evidence that he had it on him or that it was anything but a good luck charm. It was said to be among his possessions, but it doesn't appear to have been on him at Carthage. Someone gave me a Taurus astrological charm years ago, and it's among my possessions, but it means nothing to me.

Certainly nothing in the books would seem to have influenced Smith.

_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

SonOfZeus wrote:If so I've never seen any references to them, nor do Smith's teachings bear any familiarity to them. For example: “I order, command and conjure Thee Sazlij, by Agios, Sedul, by Sother, Veduij, by Sabaot, Soze, Amonzion * Adoij by Heloim, Jaho, by the Veritas Jehovah * Kawa, by Alha, natos that ye must appear before me in a human form, so truly as Daniel over­came and conquered Baal."

Smith was reputed to have possessed a Jupiter talisman, which he is said to have had on him at the time of his martyrdom; however, there's no evidence that he had it on him or that it was anything but a good luck charm. It was said to be among his possessions, but it doesn't appear to have been on him at Carthage. Someone gave me a Taurus astrological charm years ago, and it's among my possessions, but it means nothing to me.

Certainly nothing in the books would seem to have influenced Smith.

Great comments. The example of Old Testament and New Testament apocrypha was likely on his radar and there were new scriptures being generated by some of the nearby religious experiments but likely nothing so ambitious as what he provided.