The Crucifixion and Eclipses

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

The Crucifixion and Eclipses

Post by _Maksutov »

Some random preachers are claiming that the coming total solar eclipse in the United States indicates God's judgment on America, not a cyclic event caused by the geometry of our solar system.

http://www.faithwire.com/2017/08/02/is- ... -from-god/

Others claim that a solar eclipse took place at the time of Jesus' crucifixion in order to explain the alleged "darkening" of the skies. It couldn't have just been a cloudy day in Palestine? :confused:

If Jesus was crucified on the eve of Passover, that evening there would have been a full Moon, the very opposite of what is required for a solar eclipse. :lol:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Re: The Crucifixion and Eclipses

Post by _huckelberry »

Maksutov wrote:Some random preachers are claiming that the coming total solar eclipse in the United States indicates God's judgment on America, . :lol:

One might on occasion hear frogs croaking in the evening.
_Choyo Chagas
_Emeritus

Post by _Choyo Chagas »

Maksutov wrote:...
If Jesus was crucified on the eve of Passover, that evening there would have been a full Moon, the very opposite of what is required for a solar eclipse. :lol:

as we have the "julian date", we know all data for lunar or solar eclipses, from January 1, 4713 BC - before any dates in recorded history, even chinese ones; to the far future in 7980 years long periods (no date for any apocalypse)
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_day -

Maksutov wrote:Some random preachers...

the wikipedia entry contains some math (complex formulas with magic words as "mod" and "div"); ununderstandable by random/average preachers

Maksutov wrote:...are claiming that the coming total solar eclipse in the United States indicates God's judgment on America

up to now i used to believe america is one nation under god
did it change?

fyi
there is a windows program (i've said program, not the stupid today's word "application"...) :
moontools.exe

you can download it (& learn a lot) from - http://www.fourmilab.ch/moontoolw/ -
it is not virus infected, as it was developed in the windows 3.10 times
Moontool was originally written for the Sun Workstation under the SunView graphical user interface by John Walker in December of 1987. The program was posted to the Usenet news group comp.sources.unix in June 1988 and was subsequently widely distributed within the Sun user community. As the original posting began, “What good's a Sun without a Moon?”.

screen example:
- Image -
Choyo Chagas is Chairman of the Big Four, the ruler of the planet from "The Bull's Hour" ( Russian: Час Быка), a social science fiction novel written by Soviet author and paleontologist Ivan Yefremov in 1968.
Six months after its publication Soviet authorities banned the book and attempted to remove it from libraries and bookshops.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Maksutov wrote:Some random preachers are claiming that the coming total solar eclipse in the United States indicates God's judgment on America, not a cyclic event caused by the geometry of our solar system.

http://www.faithwire.com/2017/08/02/is- ... -from-god/

Others claim that a solar eclipse took place at the time of Jesus' crucifixion in order to explain the alleged "darkening" of the skies. It couldn't have just been a cloudy day in Palestine? :confused:

That's true. Richard Carrier's analysis of the so-called "eclipse" during Jesus' crucifixion in his book "Proving History" is the most masterful refutation I have ever read anywhere. Very interesting!
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

I have never heard of any socalled eclipse at Jesus crucifixion. Where did that lame idea come from?

Should we hear a probability refutation of the galactic starship which beamed him up into space?
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

I have never heard etc,, duplicate , tangle foot I guess.
_SuperDell
_Emeritus

Post by _SuperDell »

It is impossible to overestimate the stupdity of so many religious types.
“Those who never retract their opinions love themselves more than they love truth.”
― Joseph Joubert