The Mormon Christ not in the Book of Mormon

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Mittens
_Emeritus

The Mormon Christ not in the Book of Mormon

Post by _Mittens »

Why does the Book of Mormon disagree with Mormon Christ ?

The traditional Christ of whom they speak is not the Christ of whom I speak. For the Christ of whom I speak as been revealed in this the Dispensation of the Fullness of Times. He together with His Father, appeared to the boy Joseph Smith in the year 1820, and when Joseph left the grove that day, he knew more of the matters of God than all the learned ministers of the gospel of the ages." (Church News, June 20, 1998, p70) Gordon B Hinckley
We Look to Christ 2002 General Conference April

Alma 7: 10 And behold, he shall be born of Mary, at Jerusalem which is the land of our forefathers, she being a virgin, a precious and chosen vessel, who shall be overshadowed and conceive by the power of the Holy Ghost, and bring forth a son, yea, even the Son of God.

Matthew 1
18 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was as follows: After His mother Mary was betrothed to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Spirit. 19 Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not wanting to make her a public example, was minded to put her away secretly. 20 But while he thought about these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream, saying, “Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take to you Mary your wife, for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Spirit.
22 So all this was done that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the Lord through the prophet, saying: 23 “Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel,” which is translated, “God with us.”

Luke 1:
34 Then said Mary unto the angel, how shall this be, seeing I know not a man? 35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore, also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

Brigham Young also said, "Now, remember from this time forth, and for ever, that Jesus Christ was not begotten by the Holy Ghost," (Journal of Discourses, vol. 1, p. 51).

Brigham Young said, "When the time came that His first-born, the Saviour, should come into the world and take a tabernacle, the Father came Himself and favoured that spirit with a tabernacle instead of letting any other man do it. The Saviour was begotten by the Father of His spirit, by the same Being who is the Father of our spirits," (Journal of Discourses, vol. 4, 1857, p. 218).

Mosiah 3:5 For behold, the time cometh, and is not far distant, that with power, the Lord Omnipotent who reigneth, who was, and is from all eternity to all eternity, shall come down from heaven among the children of men, and shall dwell in a tabernacle of clay, and shall go forth amongst men, working mighty miracles, such as healing the sick, raising the dead, causing the lame to walk, the blind to receive their sight, and the deaf to hear, and curing all manner of diseases.

2 Nephi 26:12 And as I spake concerning the convincing of the Jews, that Jesus is the very Christ, it must needs be that the Gentiles be convinced also that Jesus is the Christ, the Eternal God;

Image below explains

http://i.imgur.com/M2qItRo.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zRvzQC4.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/PqfjkD0.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/1L0zICX.jpg
Last edited by Guest on Wed May 31, 2017 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Justice = Getting what you deserve
Mercy = Not getting what you deserve
Grace = Getting what you can never deserve
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Re: The Mormon Christ not in the Book of Mormon

Post by _Philo Sofee »

This is interesting. I just read Melodie Charles idea on how Mormons Christianize and Mormonize the Old Testament and its far more drastic than I had supposed. It's in Vogel's book "The Word of God." Thanks for pointing this out. The only thing that matters to Mormonism is to make all scriptures conform to the teachings of Joseph Smith. No scripture is allowed to stand on its own and have its own story, philosophy, or religion. Joseph Smith's unsupportable claim that the Gospel was had from the very beginning is the culprit. It is the basis of all LDS apologetics using scripture.
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Mittens
_Emeritus

Post by _Mittens »

Philo Sofee wrote:This is interesting. I just read Melodie Charles idea on how Mormons Christianize and Mormonize the Old Testament and its far more drastic than I had supposed. It's in Vogel's book "The Word of God." Thanks for pointing this out. The only thing that matters to Mormonism is to make all scriptures conform to the teachings of Joseph Smith. No scripture is allowed to stand on its own and have its own story, philosophy, or religion. Joseph Smith's unsupportable claim that the Gospel was had from the very beginning is the culprit. It is the basis of all LDS apologetics using scripture.

http://i.imgur.com/0odD9Rr.jpg
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Mittens wrote:
Philo Sofee wrote:This is interesting. I just read Melodie Charles idea on how Mormons Christianize and Mormonize the Old Testament and its far more drastic than I had supposed. It's in Vogel's book "The Word of God." Thanks for pointing this out. The only thing that matters to Mormonism is to make all scriptures conform to the teachings of Joseph Smith. No scripture is allowed to stand on its own and have its own story, philosophy, or religion. Joseph Smith's unsupportable claim that the Gospel was had from the very beginning is the culprit. It is the basis of all LDS apologetics using scripture.

http://i.imgur.com/0odD9Rr.jpg

Did you make that graphic? That's pretty darn good!
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."
_Mittens
_Emeritus

Post by _Mittens »

Yes I did make that graphic

here's another I made

http://i.imgur.com/wxAzin6.jpg
_SonOfZeus
_Emeritus

Post by _SonOfZeus »

First, I believe Brigham Young was using his own terminology to define his beliefs.

Jesus was begotten by the Holy Spirit, but he was not the Son of the Holy Spirit. In other words, it was the Father's seed that was transmitted by the Holy Spirit. Mary did not receive that seed in the way that most all other women do -- through sexual intercourse -- but through intercession of the Holy Spirit.

I realize some teach otherwise, because in the early days of the Church, it was how the seed was conveyed that determined fatherhood. In our day, however, a woman can give birth to a child without ever even meeting the father. And it's the seed of the Father that determines fatherhood.

Regarding the graphics, Jesus Christ, in LDS theology, is and isn't a created being. Using protestant terminology, the creation of man takes place using eternal elements. And the term CREATE means to build using existent elements. Protestants believe in creation out of nothing, which is not taught anywhere in the Bible, but is an assumption. Was Jesus therefore a created being? Yes, he entered mortality as the rest of us did. But he was not created out of nothing. The intelligence housed by his spirit is as Eternal as the Father. By the same token, the same thing is true for all of us, and it doesn't contradict scripture at all to say this. It does, however, contradict protestant understanding of scripture, and if they're the ones doing the graphics, they can make them say anything they wish! But they go too far in saying that Jesus had to “earn" salvation! Where do they get that?

Jesus was born into mortality the way everyone else is, but he is, and was always, sinless and therefore must do nothing to be saved. Had he not been crucified, he would have gone to be with the Father for eternity and would have been saved. We, on the other hand, would have been cast out and would have inherited nothing. We thus would have been subject to the Second Death, which is Spiritual Death, with Satan and his angels. So no, Jesus did not have to earn salvation. Neither was Jesus Christ “common and of minor importance." He also was not a polygamist as far as we know, and some LDS authority stating otherwise doesn't constitute a truism, nor make it doctrine. It may have been an opinion, but it was not a binding teaching because we have no revelation or historical junction for so believing. Paul stated some of his opinions (and so stated) that we don't accept, either, thank goodness. And anti-Mormons know that such teachings are not canon, nor binding in any way.

Would we be justified in saying protestants believe in a flat Earth because some ancient prophet referred to the “firmament" in ancient scripture? I hope not. But creating straw men to knock down is what they do best because they can't best us in an honest debate.

_Choyo Chagas
_Emeritus

Post by _Choyo Chagas »

SonOfZeus wrote:Jesus was begotten by the Holy Spirit, but he was not the Son of the Holy Spirit. In other words, it was the Father's seed that was transmitted by the Holy Spirit. Mary did not receive that seed in the way that most all other women do -- through sexual intercourse -- but through intercession of the Holy Spirit.

artificial insemination; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_insemination (wikipedia) :
Artificial insemination (AI) is the deliberate introduction of sperm into a female's uterus or cervix for the purpose of achieving a pregnancy through in vivo fertilization by means other than sexual intercourse. It is a fertility treatment for humans, and is common practice in animal breeding, including dairy cattle (see Frozen bovine semen) and pigs.

apparently the holy spirit is a jolly joker
which technique did he (she? it?) used?
1.3 Techniques
1.3.1 Intracervical insemination
1.3.2 Intrauterine insemination
1.3.3 Intrauterine tuboperitoneal insemination
1.3.4 Intratubal insemination
Choyo Chagas is Chairman of the Big Four, the ruler of the planet from "The Bull's Hour" ( Russian: Час Быка), a social science fiction novel written by Soviet author and paleontologist Ivan Yefremov in 1968.
Six months after its publication Soviet authorities banned the book and attempted to remove it from libraries and bookshops.
_SonOfZeus
_Emeritus

Post by _SonOfZeus »

Choyo Chagas wrote:apparently the holy spirit is a jolly joker
which technique did he (she? it?) used?
1.3 Techniques
1.3.1 Intracervical insemination
1.3.2 Intrauterine insemination
1.3.3 Intrauterine tuboperitoneal insemination
1.3.4 Intratubal insemination

We're not told how it occurred; only that it did. The Bible tells us almost nothing about how anything was done. It's like saying, how did Jesus walk on water? Did he wait for it to freeze or for the tide to go out? Absurdity tells us nothing.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Mittens wrote:Alma 7: 10 And behold, he shall be born of Mary, at Jerusalem which is the land of our forefathers, ...

This has some story parallels with another child born in Bethlehem.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_SonOfZeus
_Emeritus

Post by _SonOfZeus »

moksha wrote:
Mittens wrote:Alma 7: 10 And behold, he shall be born of Mary, at Jerusalem which is the land of our forefathers, ...

This has some story parallels with another child born in Bethlehem.

Bethlehem is in the land of Jerusalem, and this has been demonstrated many times. Troy (Illium) also was both a city and a land. Other, smaller cities in the immediate region were considered in the land of Illium, and in the epic war with the Greeks, these cities were the first to fall. Achilles, at age 15, gained much of his reputation as a spearman in taking these cities.

When Rome destroyed Jerusalem, Bethlehem was included in the land of the city. This criticism of the Book of Mormon is long in the tooth and was answered years ago.