Real Christianity

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Mittens
_Emeritus

Real Christianity

Post by _Mittens »

Mark 10:
18 So Jesus said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. 19 You know the commandments: ‘Do not commit adultery,’ ‘Do not murder,’ ‘Do not steal,’ ‘Do not bear false witness,’ ‘Do not defraud,’ ‘Honor your father and your mother.’”

How come Jesus quotes the 10 commandments wrong when he was the author ? Not in Mormonism but Christianity we get the meat of scripture :lol:

When 3/26/2017 sermon is posted you will know why
https://newheights.org/talks/
Justice = Getting what you deserve
Mercy = Not getting what you deserve
Grace = Getting what you can never deserve
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Re: Real Christianity

Post by _The CCC »

_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Mittens wrote:Mark 10:
18 So Jesus said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. 19 You know the commandments: ‘Do not commit adultery,’ ‘Do not murder,’ ‘Do not steal,’ ‘Do not bear false witness,’ ‘Do not defraud,’ ‘Honor your father and your mother.’”

How come Jesus quotes the 10 commandments wrong when he was the author ? Not in Mormonism but Christianity we get the meat of scripture :lol:

That's right, he missed over 600 of them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/613_commandments

Nobody said messiahs couldn't be sloppy. :lol:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

Mittens, what gives? Perhaps you could write out what you actually think sometime. I went ahead and clicked your link and listened for a bit to a talk titled ,"I give up"(repentance) . It was the sort of thing you might hear in a Mormon church or perhaps in some other variety of Christian church. Now I was tired after work and did not feel inclined to sit through the whole. Was there something you wanted to point out that appeared later on? Perhaps you could state it yourself.

I do not think the comments about repentance are lacking value but they have been said uncountable times in a multitude of places.
_Mittens
_Emeritus

Post by _Mittens »

huckelberry wrote:Mittens, what gives? Perhaps you could write out what you actually think sometime. I went ahead and clicked your link and listened for a bit to a talk titled ,"I give up"(repentance) . It was the sort of thing you might hear in a Mormon church or perhaps in some other variety of Christian church. Now I was tired after work and did not feel inclined to sit through the whole. Was there something you wanted to point out that appeared later on? Perhaps you could state it yourself.

I do not think the comments about repentance are lacking value but they have been said uncountable times in a multitude of places.

March 16 is the message with Mark 10 as scripture
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

So what does it supposed to mean , he quoted them wrong? There are multiple versions of the ten commandments in the Old Testament. Is there a difficulty that he did not state all of them in the right order? On the face of it the problem seems utterly trivial .
_Mittens
_Emeritus

Post by _Mittens »

huckelberry wrote:So what does it supposed to mean , he quoted them wrong? There are multiple versions of the ten commandments in the Old Testament. Is there a difficulty that he did not state all of them in the right order? On the face of it the problem seems utterly trivial .

No he just quoted the ones which were relevant to the Rich Young Ruler