A good read for bofmgeograpy

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_tapirrider
_Emeritus

A good read for bofmgeograpy

Post by _tapirrider »

Hey bofmgeography, your mound builder preaching is racist.
http://ampersand.wustl.edu/archaeologic ... and-hoaxes
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Re: A good read for bofmgeograpy

Post by _Quasimodo »

tapirrider wrote:Hey bofmgeography, your mound builder preaching is racist.
http://ampersand.wustl.edu/archaeologic ... and-hoaxes

GREAT article, tapirrider!
Fritz says, “Until the 1890s, most Americans, including members of the St. Louis Academy of Sciences and learned people across the world, believed that there had been a non-Native-American mound-builder race. And that was inherently a racist notion that the Native Americans were too savage, too barbaric, and too lazy to have built the Mississippian mounds and all the other spectacular mounds in eastern North America. You can get quotes from all over the place that the Native Americans were incapable. There was even a state geologist of Illinois who wrote that the mounds were natural glacial features and that they had nothing to do with Native Americans. So that’s a very solid example of racism.”

I think it's unfortunate that bofmgeography probably likes that his theories are racist. I think he has a belief that Native Americans were just not smart enough to accomplish the things that they obviously did accomplish.

Irrespective of undeniable evidence, he likes to believe that someone else did the work. "I don't care if it's true, it's what I believe."
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

Quasimodo wrote:GREAT article, tapirrider!

Agreed. Gail Fritz provided some very useful observations, such as:
Gayle Fritz wrote: I’m of the view that you don’t get to wisdom very easily,--
and,
Gayle Fritz wrote:-- just getting to knowledge from information is very difficult, actually. It requires a certain discipline of mind, ---.

And to get from knowledge to wisdom requires judgement - a reasoned weighing of the relevant objective evidence.

These skills would seem to be in short supply among folks like bomgeo, as reflected in their unfounded beliefs - beliefs maintained against overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

On another thread we are seeing people designating themselves the "alt-right" using Book of Mormon-based racism to justify their white supremacist Mormon ideas. Polygamy, racism, cultic countercultures. What wonderful fruits. :sad:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Choyo Chagas
_Emeritus

Post by _Choyo Chagas »

Maksutov wrote:On another thread we are seeing people designating themselves the "alt-right" using Book of Mormon-based racism to justify their white supremacist Mormon ideas. Polygamy, racism, cultic countercultures. What wonderful fruits. :sad:

and - don't forget - amway
Choyo Chagas is Chairman of the Big Four, the ruler of the planet from "The Bull's Hour" ( Russian: Час Быка), a social science fiction novel written by Soviet author and paleontologist Ivan Yefremov in 1968.
Six months after its publication Soviet authorities banned the book and attempted to remove it from libraries and bookshops.