"Reasons" for bans on coffee, earrings, swearing..

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

Polygamy Porter wrote:Please do us all a favor, stop regurgitating the drivel you slurp up in the Mormon chapel and go educate yourself of the REALITY of non Mormons. K?

Polygamy Porter wrote:Look it up and please stop regurgitation the drivel you were force feed.

Hi PP,

Just a friendly reminder, but please, please, PLEASE keep it truly and fully "Celestial" here in the Celestial Forum. Although specific swear words are baseline things to avoid, the "feel" of any particular message is also part of the ball game. The above-quoted methods of expression are probably better suited to the Terrestrial Forum.

For the Celestial Forum, probably the best way of expressing disagreement is the same way one would disagree with one's favorite grandmother.

Thanks in advance!
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy Porter »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Polygamy Porter wrote:Please do us all a favor, stop regurgitating the drivel you slurp up in the Mormon chapel and go educate yourself of the REALITY of non Mormons. K?

Polygamy Porter wrote:Look it up and please stop regurgitation the drivel you were force feed.

Hi PP,

Just a friendly reminder, but please, please, PLEASE keep it truly and fully "Celestial" here in the Celestial Forum. Although specific swear words are baseline things to avoid, the "feel" of any particular message is also part of the ball game. The above-quoted methods of expression are probably better suited to the Terrestrial Forum.

For the Celestial Forum, probably the best way of expressing disagreement is the same way one would disagree with one's favorite grandmother.

Thanks in advance!

You have not met my granny!

OK fine, point taken... be nice to the unwitting...
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

harmony wrote:
why me wrote:
harmony wrote:
why me wrote:True enough. I think I said so too. One glass does not kill nor does it do harm. However, abuse in the home is often alcohol related. Not to mention lung cancer due to smoking. One cigarette does not kill but...I can say with confidence, that every alcoholic that I have known began with that first drink and it is here that the problem begins. With that first drink. And every man or woman who became abusive with alcohol consumption became so, with that first drink.

No, the WoW is one of the greatest things about the lds church and lets face, now that there is non-alcoholic beer, wine, etc, to obstain from alcohol is not so bad nor is there a stigma attached anymore.

There has always been a non-alcoholic wine lookalike: it's called grape juice.

Are you saying that non-alcoholic beer and wine are acceptable substitutes to the heirarchy of the LDS church? That's news to me. What about decaffienated coffee? Is that acceptable?

Yes this is what I am saying. I have been to two lds parties where non-alcoholic wine was served. I was quite surprised by it especially when my ex-wife allowed it to happen. As Bob Dylan sang: The times there are a changing.

Now of course you will get the old guard claiming to avoid the appearence of evil but...the new guard...seem to have no qualms to drink the non-alcoholic wine. I would assume that decafe coffee would be acceptable, if the taboo depended on the caffeine. As for myself, I love decafe, sugarfree ice tea. What to do? :=)

I've had hot tea and iced tea daily for years, as prescribed by my doc for nausea.

What does your bishop say about the decaf and the non-alcoholic beer and wine?

I don't think that he cares. When it comes to having a temple interview, the question does not center on non-alcoholic wine or beer and its consumption. It seems to be a personal matter for each member to decide. Now I do remember when I was younger, the understanding of avoiding the appearance of evil. And this can make some sense. Maybe one should be selective when drinking it but among friends...I see no problem.

For your nausea do you need to drink caffeinated coffee or tea or can you go decaf?
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

why me wrote:I don't think that he cares. When it comes to having a temple interview, the question does not center on non-alcoholic wine or beer and its consumption. It seems to be a personal matter for each member to decide.
that's why I drank my coffee and soup warm and my tea iced, to avoid the "hot" drinks.

Once in a while, I'd down a "mild drink made from barley" or two or four...

when the nosy bishop would ask if I kept the WoW, I would answer YES!

The same with tithing. I paid on my net gain, after I paid my bills, what ever was left, they got 10%.
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

Polygamy Porter wrote:
why me wrote:I don't think that he cares. When it comes to having a temple interview, the question does not center on non-alcoholic wine or beer and its consumption. It seems to be a personal matter for each member to decide.
that's why I drank my coffee and soup warm and my tea iced, to avoid the "hot" drinks.

Of course, you know that caffeinated tea or coffee whether iced or hot, is not living the word of wisdom as it is currently implemented. Try decaf...it does't soothe the nerves but the mind may still get the kick it needs.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

why me wrote:
Polygamy Porter wrote:

Of course, you know that caffeinated tea or coffee whether iced or hot, is not living the word of wisdom as it is currently implemented. Try decaf...it does't soothe the nerves but the mind may still get the kick it needs.

Currently implemented, being the operative words. PP was within the original intent of the advisory, since he didn't chew tobacco and spit it on the floor. Modern interpretation has changed the WoW to such an extent, Joseph would not recognize it... nor would he have kept it. The WoW as currently interpreted is the classic example of our leaders taking something divine and making it something manmade.
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

harmony wrote:
why me wrote:
Polygamy Porter wrote:

Currently implemented, being the operative words. PP was within the original intent of the advisory, since he didn't chew tobacco and spit it on the floor. Modern interpretation has changed the WoW to such an extent, Joseph would not recognize it... nor would he have kept it. The WoW as currently interpreted is the classic example of our leaders taking something divine and making it something manmade.

The word of wisdom is a process in motion. For the times that we are living in, it is right on the money. Of course, how it may be implemented and what it includes will change. But lets be frank: The WoW was right on the money with alcohol and tobacco. And not too far off the mark with cafeinated coffee or tea. And there are other pearly gems that may or may not be followed such as meat intake and the eating of whole grains etc. The word of wisdom can be a great guide to a healthy lifestyle.

I think that peppermint tea is a rather healthy form of tea.
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

harmony wrote:
why me wrote:
Polygamy Porter wrote:

Bingo!

You see, unless it comes from the LDS canon, how can I trust that it is divine? Anything spewed forth from the cake holes of men will eventually be deemed their personal opinion. EVEN Smith. If god intended HOT coffee and tea to be verbotten, then someone should have whipped up a revelation and added it to the LDS canon.

I am in fact enjoying two shots of espresso from Starbuck's with twice as much half-n-half.. delish!

Keep in mind, Why-Me, you do need to avoid hot chocolate, hot soup/broth, and be very careful in the shower as to not get any hot water in your mouth!
_Polygamy Porter
_Emeritus

why me wrote:
harmony wrote:
why me wrote:
Polygamy Porter wrote:

The word of wisdom is a process in motion. For the times that we are living in, it is right on the money. Of course, how it may be implemented and what it includes will change. But lets be frank: The WoW was right on the money with alcohol and tobacco. And not too far off the mark with cafeinated coffee or tea. And there are other pearly gems that may or may not be followed such as meat intake and the eating of whole grains etc. The word of wisdom can be a great guide to a healthy lifestyle.

Oh reahhiilly?
I guess god did not have the carbohydrate thing figured out back then... According to you, an obese Mormon who abstains from coffee, tea, cigs, and booze is HEALTHY??? Additionally that fat Mormon is probably loaded up on Sandy candy(anti-depressants).

Your reasoning is very juvenile. You are like a 10 year old repeating what you heard in sunday school.

Is it a famine where you live? If not tell me then why are you consuming meat?

Smith did not receive any divine revelation about squat. He took the current temperance ideas of his day and reguritated them, and at that time ONLY as counsel, not as commandment.

I suppose you ignore the SCIENTIFIC studies that have shown BENEFITS to drinking booze, coffee and tea. That satan is a craft one ain't he?
_why me
_Emeritus

Post by _why me »

Polygamy Porter wrote:
why me wrote:
harmony wrote:
why me wrote:
Polygamy Porter wrote:

Oh reahhiilly?
I guess god did not have the carbohydrate thing figured out back then... According to you, an obese Mormon who abstains from coffee, tea, cigs, and booze is HEALTHY??? Additionally that fat Mormon is probably loaded up on Sandy candy(anti-depressants).

Your reasoning is very juvenile. You are like a 10 year old repeating what you heard in sunday school.

Well, I cannot complain about the word of wisdom. It has done me fine. And I have seen the tragedies caused by overconsuming alcohol and by tobacco. And I do believe that the church is right on about this.

My reasoning is not that of a 10 year old...only of a good observer who has seen the havoc caused by alcohol and tobacco. I will stick to peppermint tea. But perhaps I will try some non-alcoholic wine someday...just to get a taste.