Question for bomgeography

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_tapirrider
_Emeritus

Question for bomgeography

Post by _tapirrider »

What evidence can you show that American Indians have beliefs and traditions that they can become gods?
_bomgeography
_Emeritus

Re: Question for bomgeography

Post by _bomgeography »

I don't have any evidence for that. I have a bunch of evidence for a bunch of other stuff fiery flying serpents, temples dna etc
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Here we have the statements of the living prophet:

Q: There are some significant differences in your beliefs. For instance, don't Mormons believe that God was once a man?

A: I wouldn't say that. There was a little couplet coined, "As man is, God once was. As God is, man may become.'' Now that's more of a couplet than anything else.

Q: ... about that, God the Father was once a man as we were. This is something that Christian writers are always addressing. Is this the teaching of the church today, that God the Father was once a man like we are?

A: I don’t know that we teach it. I don’t know that we emphasize it. I haven’t heard it discussed for a long time in public discourse. I don’t know. I don’t know all the circumstances under which that statement was made. I understand the philosophical background behind it. But I don’t know a lot about it and I don’t know that others know a lot about it.

http://www.lds-mormon.com/gbh.shtml

Don't worry your little heads about it. Just pay, pray, obey and vote Republican. :wink:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_bomgeography
_Emeritus

Post by _bomgeography »

Maksutov wrote:Here we have the statements of the living prophet:

Q: There are some significant differences in your beliefs. For instance, don't Mormons believe that God was once a man?

A: I wouldn't say that. There was a little couplet coined, "As man is, God once was. As God is, man may become.'' Now that's more of a couplet than anything else.

Q: ... about that, God the Father was once a man as we were. This is something that Christian writers are always addressing. Is this the teaching of the church today, that God the Father was once a man like we are?

A: I don’t know that we teach it. I don’t know that we emphasize it. I haven’t heard it discussed for a long time in public discourse. I don’t know. I don’t know all the circumstances under which that statement was made. I understand the philosophical background behind it. But I don’t know a lot about it and I don’t know that others know a lot about it.

http://www.lds-mormon.com/Gordon B. Hinckley.shtml

I don't see why that is a hard doctrine to understand all Christians believe Christ was once a mortal man who becomes God.
_bomgeography
_Emeritus

Post by _bomgeography »

tapirrider wrote:What evidence can you show that American Indians have beliefs and traditions that they can become gods?

Even if I did have evidence for that you wouldn't believe it anyways.
_bomgeography
_Emeritus

Post by _bomgeography »

bomgeography wrote:
tapirrider wrote:What evidence can you show that American Indians have beliefs and traditions that they can become gods?

I don't have any evidence for that. I have a bunch of evidence for a bunch of other stuff fiery flying serpents, temples dna etc

Christ proved you can be born of a mortal women be poor, scorned, humiliated, beaten, betrayed, crucified and still be perfect through Christ and become as our father in heaven is.
_tapirrider
_Emeritus

Post by _tapirrider »

bomgeography wrote:Even if I did have evidence for that you wouldn't believe it anyways.

You don't need to attack me. I am very accepting of valid evidence but highly critical of fabrications and frauds and cherry picked misrepresentations of DNA and artifacts and traditions. My interest in asking this question is because the American Indians that I am close to have a take on life and death so vastly different from the LDS teachings of the eternal progression of man. The LDS teaching of men becoming gods is likewise contrary to traditional Christianity and Judaism. So I was just interested in what you might have in the way of older writings about American Indians, earlier than the Book of Mormon's publication, that might hint of American Indians having a belief of becoming gods.
_bomgeography
_Emeritus

Post by _bomgeography »

tapirrider wrote:

bomgeography wrote:Even if I did have evidence for that you wouldn't believe it anyways.

You don't need to attack me. I am very accepting of valid evidence but highly critical of fabrications and frauds and cherry picked misrepresentations of DNA and artifacts and traditions. My interest in asking this question is because the American Indians that I am close to have a take on life and death so vastly different from the LDS teachings of the eternal progression of man. The LDS teaching of men becoming gods is likewise contrary to traditional Christianity and Judaism. So I was just interested in what you might have in the way of older writings about American Indians, earlier than the Book of Mormon's publication, that might hint of American Indians having a belief of becoming gods.

Nothing in that area just a bunch that goes along with the Book of Mormon