A question of motivation

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Re: A question of motivation

Post by _Lemmie »

bomgeography wrote:Wow I'm glad someone has finally figured it out in the case of Gordon b hinckley, thomas s monson , and Boyd k packer. You figured out their true motives behind their live long service love and dedication to the savior to people and the church. They were only motivated by money. They fooled millions of people but you. Senator Waters was able to identify their true motives. The one who posted a question about motives figured it out. Bravo
Use your public platform as senator to spread the truth.

You didn't answer the question:
bomgeography wrote:It's believed that general authorities make around 70k a year.

Maxine Waters wrote:What evidence leads you to that belief?
_bomgeography
_Emeritus

Post by _bomgeography »

Lemmie wrote:
bomgeography wrote:Wow I'm glad someone has finally figured it out in the case of Gordon b hinckley, thomas s monson , and Boyd k packer. You figured out their true motives behind their live long service love and dedication to the savior to people and the church. They were only motivated by money. They fooled millions of people but you. Senator Waters was able to identify their true motives. The one who posted a question about motives figured it out. Bravo
Use your public platform as senator to spread the truth.

You didn't answer the question:
bomgeography wrote:It's believed that general authorities make around 70k a year.

Maxine Waters wrote:What evidence leads you to that belief?

In 1996, the stipend was in the neighborhood of $50,000 per year.
In 1996,[2] the church altered some of the responsibilities given to General Authorities. Prior to this point in time, they also served on corporate boards of church-owned companies and for these positions they received a stipend. At that point in time, some of the financial information was disclosed, indicating that the stipend was in the neighborhood of $50,000.00 a year.
To give a sense of proper comparison, US Department of Labor statistics list the 1996 average salary of a civil engineer at $52,750, that of a computer programmer at $50,490, and that of the average junior college teacher at $49,200. Therefore, the living allowance, which provides for most of the normal day-to-day expenses of a full-time authority and his family (including house payments, personal transportation, food, clothing, entertainment, etc.), is in line with that of a professional employee. It is far lower than the large management salaries that might be expected for someone with the skills that these General Authorities must have and the responsibilities that they must shoulder.

These kinds of speculations as to money received almost always comes from disaffected and former members, and involves large round numbers such as $300,000, $500,000 or $1,000,000
They all claim (in true conspiracy theory fashion) to have an inside source. They always make claims with no evidence - and use nice big eye-catching round numbers such as $300,000, $500,000, $1,000,000, and so on. Should the church provide some data, it would almost certainly be dismissed as a cover up of the truth (protected of course by those NDAs, right?). There may be a lot of reasons why people become General Authorities, but it seems doubtful that getting wealthy is one of them. You would think, with hundreds of General Authorities, all supposedly getting excessive payments from the church (as the allegations go) for the last century, there might have been some sort of financial scandal that the critics could pin their speculations to. But it doesn't seem like it, does it?

http://en.fairmormon.org/Mormonism_and_ ... ng_stipend
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

ok. Fairmormon. Not a reliable source.
_bomgeography
_Emeritus

Post by _bomgeography »

Lemmie wrote:ok. Fairmormon. Not a reliable source.

I'm sure you guys are reliable sources
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

bomgeography wrote:

I'm sure you guys are reliable sources

I'm not a source at all. Use unbiased sources, or confirm with multiple unbiased sources if you want to be believed.
_tapirrider
_Emeritus

Post by _tapirrider »

bomgeography wrote:I'm sure you guys are reliable sources

David McKane, once again you are cherry picking, this time from FAIR. You do not use FAIR as a source when it disputes your DNA claims and your use of known hoax artifacts. Why is that? We have repeatedly given you numerous links to credible sources in your other posts and you ignore them. As individuals, we are not the sources so your allegation that we are not reliable is ridiculous.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

tapirrider wrote:David McKane, once again you are cherry picking, this time from FAIR. You do not use FAIR as a source when it disputes your DNA claims and your use of known hoax artifacts. Why is that? We have repeatedly given you numerous links to credible sources in your other posts and you ignore them. As individuals, we are not the sources so your allegation that we are not reliable is ridiculous.

But what else can he go with when he's running on empty?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')