Native American use of Sacred Metal Tablets

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_spotlight
_Emeritus

Re: Native American use of Sacred Metal Tablets

Post by _spotlight »

Self-consistency is the first requirement. If achieved, then the imagined (or modeled) universe has to agree with actual observations from reality. That is how physics makes progress as you already know. Reality is constrained in such a way that any deviations from it eventually leads to a self-contradiction. Take as an example the ultraviolet catastrophe from black body radiation that led to the discovery of electromagnetic quantization. That is why some parts of science always end up being denied/discarded by the religious, Franktalk being an extreme example of this.
Kolob’s set time is “one thousand years according to the time appointed unto that whereon thou standest” (Abraham 3:4). I take this as a round number. - Gee
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

spotlight wrote: That is why some parts of science always end up being denied/discarded by the religious, Franktalk being an extreme example of this.

Franktalk thinks whatever he thinks and feels is from a divine source revealing truth to him. Ed has the same model for truth. The main difference is they cannot agree on what that truth is.
_Lemmie
_Emeritus

Post by _Lemmie »

Themis wrote:
spotlight wrote: That is why some parts of science always end up being denied/discarded by the religious, Franktalk being an extreme example of this.

Franktalk thinks whatever he thinks and feels is from a divine source revealing truth to him. Ed has the same model for truth. The main difference is they cannot agree on what that truth is.

I guess truth is like a stable equilibrium in some economic models, then. If you find yourself with two different possible points of "equilibria," then you actually have neither a prediction nor stability, and by definition not even an equilibrium.
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

Lemmie wrote:
Themis wrote:Franktalk thinks whatever he thinks and feels is from a divine source revealing truth to him. Ed has the same model for truth. The main difference is they cannot agree on what that truth is.

I guess truth is like a stable equilibrium in some economic models, then. If you find yourself with two different possible points of "equilibria," then you actually have neither a prediction nor stability, and by definition not even an equilibrium.

What they miss is the huge red flag. If I think certain sensations and thoughts are from a divine source and I notice most others don't think so, or have a different meaning then me that should tell me something about how likely I am to be the special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsNCROLRiMY