A good Mormon book suggestion

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Re: A good Mormon book suggestion

Post by _Dr. Shades »

MetalSlasher wrote:True, but I think Gordon B Hinckley was just trying to save PR, . . .

Is that an acceptable course of action for a prophet? Imagine if Abinadi had just tried to save PR before King Noah. Or if Ammon had tried to save PR before King Lamoni. How would the Book of Mormon have turned out?
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Dr. Shades wrote:
MetalSlasher wrote:True, but I think Gordon B Hinckley was just trying to save PR, . . .

Is that an acceptable course of action for a prophet? Imagine if Abinadi had just tried to save PR before King Noah. Or if Ammon had tried to save PR before King Lamoni. How would the Book of Mormon have turned out?

It couldn't have turned out any worse. Everybody dies. All evidence of their accomplishments and existence is wiped from the earth with the exception of a hoaxy-looking book given to a horny young frontier psychic preacher who tried to sell it for money. :lol:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_MetalSlasher
_Emeritus

Post by _MetalSlasher »

Dr. Shades wrote:

I never said I was happy with what President Hinckley said, just like I wasn't happy when he went on Larry King Live in 1998 and said polygamy was not doctrinal. He threw all the past prophets up through Heber J Grant under the bus.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

MetalSlasher wrote:
Dr. Shades wrote:Is that an acceptable course of action for a prophet? Imagine if Abinadi had just tried to save PR before King Noah. Or if Ammon had tried to save PR before King Lamoni. How would the Book of Mormon have turned out?

I never said I was happy with what President Hinckley said, just like I wasn't happy when he went on Larry King Live in 1998 and said polygamy was not doctrinal. He threw all the past prophets up through Heber J Grant under the bus.

Has President Monson stated anything contrary to what GBH said? If not, then it remains the current doctrine. The alternative is that he lied and God allowed it. Which might infer interesting things about God and all past and future statements by church leaders.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

Hinckley was correct. We do teach the Theosis of man. We don't teach about how God became God.