the toenails of the Lord God

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

the toenails of the Lord God

Post by _ludwigm »

The Lord God of Michelangelo, with thick curly beard, folds of robe, and bare feet with veins showing, did not come from the free play of the artist's mind. The painter had to work in obedience to the literature of absolute dictates going back to Genesis.

A Michelangelo of today
(with or without picture banning) -- his soul made irresolute by skepticism, that great stink of knowledge -- at every step encounters paradoxes, dilemmas, absurdities, of which the Renaissance master never dreamed. The toenails of the Lord God are short. If He has a body like a man's, those nails should grow. And since He endures eternally, they should have grown into snaking horns that go from naked toes to all the galaxies, filling the sky with sweeping spirals of keratin.

Could one, should one paint such a thing? And if not, we are faced with the problem of the Divine pedicure. The nails are short either by cutting or miracle -- surely one who can stop the sun in its path can stop the growth of a toenail.

Both solutions are unacceptable: the first smacks of barbershop, the second of blasphemy. No, the toenails must be short without disquisition or analysis.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Up to now, nobody handled toenails of the Lord, only Hare Krishna folks:
Sri Ekadasi – the sweet taste of this delightfully dulcet day can be experienced by all who learn how to float on it's gently undulating ripples of love. By concentrating the focus of our activities on Ekadasi the charming paramour known as Krishna will be most pleased and His divine consort Srimati Radharani hearing of our endeavour will indubitably bestow Her merciful glance upon us in the form of seva-bhava.

The shiningly effulgent toenails of the Lord are most dazzling to the eye, by praying for the removal of this daze one can slowly yet surely be magnetically witness to and delicatesse the beatific form of Krishna. His lotus face benign and his illimitable flute capture the heart and one may find herself swaying in rapture as she genuinely chants the holy name of Krishna.

asvamedha-sahasrani
rajasuya-satani ca
ekadasy-upavasasya
kalah narhanti sodasim
I think I understand all of their words - they are clear -, even this expressions:
--- the form of seva-bhava
--- magnetically witness to
--- illimitable flute capture
--- kalah narhanti sodasim (I definitely like this...)

OK.
Can anybody of You (Franktalk, LittleNipper, Nightlion) teach me something about the toenails of the Lord God?

Up to now, it seems to me that they are a little weak in science (was I courteous enough?), then look at something from the arena of religion!
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei
_spotlight
_Emeritus

Re: the toenails of the Lord God

Post by _spotlight »

ludwigm wrote:Can anybody of You (Franktalk, LittleNipper, Nightlion) teach me something about the toenails of the Lord God?
Up to now, it seems to me that they are a little weak in science (was I courteous enough?)

("Can any of you")

I have this problem when I go see a movie with the wife. I point out the things that are a fail due to physics or some other fact that the audience doesn't catch. She reminds me that I have to suspend disbelief to enjoy the story. The problem with Franktalk is the inability to tell the difference between reality and a story as witnessed by his accusation that science is just a story despite the innumerable facts it rests upon. And then the rest of the failure lies in supplanting the facts with a story devoid of the same and calling it reality because of an inner journey. He has never addressed any of those facts in a substantive manner. He ignores ERVs altogether though the very same phylogenetic tree results from a consideration alone of that portion of the DNA. The very same phylogenetic tree results when we just look at pseudogenes alone. The odds of that happening by chance are just astronomical. Now up to an exponent of 2,860! Franktalk can call this degree of certainty a story if he likes but it is the most certain we as a species have been about anything in the history of mankind. Yet he pits his inward journey against it all. Simply incredible!

Theobald was able to run rigorous statistical analyses on the amino acid sequences in 23 universally conserved proteins across the three major divisions of life (eukaryotes, bacteria and archaea). By plugging these sequences into various relational and evolutionary models, he found that a universal common ancestor is at least 10^2,860 more likely to have produced the modern-day protein sequence variances than even the next most probable scenario (involving multiple separate ancestors).

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... -ancestor/
Kolob’s set time is “one thousand years according to the time appointed unto that whereon thou standest” (Abraham 3:4). I take this as a round number. - Gee
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Many mysteries about the corpus of the Lord are addressed in this novel:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Towing_Jehovah
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Maksutov wrote:Many mysteries about the corpus of the Lord are addressed in this novel:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Towing_Jehovah

Deseret News book review editor, Christine Rappleye, gave it condemned rating on the off chance that it might contain bad words, apostate material, and potential failure to not support the priesthood.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Gunnar
_Emeritus

Post by _Gunnar »

spotlight wrote:I have this problem when I go see a movie with the wife. I point out the things that are a fail due to physics or some other fact that the audience doesn't catch. She reminds me that I have to suspend disbelief to enjoy the story.

I get the same reaction from my wife when I point out fails like that in sub par science fiction or fantasy movies. She says "it's fiction, it's not supposed to be realistic!" I try to tell that good science fiction is supposed to be true to the science or a plausible extrapolation of what science might discover or accomplish in the future. That is often the whole point of the story! What I find the most hilarious are the scenes where the hero or superhero saves the life of someone by instantly stopping someone's fall inches before hitting the ground or instantly halts a car inches before it smashes into a solid barrier of some kind. It's the g force of the sudden deceleration that Is deadly. It doesn't matter whether the sudden deceleration is due to hitting the ground or being suddenly stopped in mid air by the superhero before hitting the ground! You would be just as dead either way!
No precept or claim is more likely to be false than one that can only be supported by invoking the claim of Divine authority for it--no matter who or what claims such authority.

“If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you.”
― Harlan Ellison
_DrW
_Emeritus

Post by _DrW »

spotlight wrote:I have this problem when I go see a movie with the wife. I point out the things that are a fail due to physics or some other fact that the audience doesn't catch. She reminds me that I have to suspend disbelief to enjoy the story.

Same thing happens in this home. Current worst TV show offender (as far as I know) is Scorpion. The show is supposed to be about science and tech geeks, but writers and producers don't even try. It is just gawd awful.

In fact, Scorpion is so bad when it comes to "fictional facts" that I now regret not mentioning it as an example of the social and cultural downside of the generally poor educational achievement is science and math in the US. I know high school kids who could write more credible descriptions when it comes to science and engineering than the Scorpion staff does.

If our kids were still high school age or younger, and living at home, this show would be strictly banned in our home. Exposing kids to this kind of mislabeled crap and misinformation, even as fiction, is just plain wrong.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_spotlight
_Emeritus

Post by _spotlight »

DrW wrote:Same thing happens in this home. Current worst TV show offender (as far as I know) is Scorpion. The show is supposed to be about science and tech geeks, but writers and producers don't even try. It is just gawd awful.

In fact, Scorpion is so bad when it comes to "fictional facts" that I now regret not mentioning it as an example of the social and cultural downside of the generally poor educational achievement is science and math in the US. I know high school kids who could write more credible descriptions when it comes to science and engineering than the Scorpion staff does.

If our kids were still high school age or younger, and living at home, this show would be strictly banned in our home. Exposing kids to this kind of mislabeled crap and misinformation, even as fiction, is just plain wrong.

Elysium made me want to get up and leave the theater. :evil:
Kolob’s set time is “one thousand years according to the time appointed unto that whereon thou standest” (Abraham 3:4). I take this as a round number. - Gee
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Post by _ludwigm »

Thank You, folks!

--- spotlight, Maksutov, moksha, Gunnar and DrW ---
You didn't say one word about the toenails of the Lord God. Instead, You DID add a lot to the OP. The OP is not about keratin...

In a different universe, I should have reported Your comments as blatant derailments; as such, they would be moved to outer darkness (memory hole, search for ref...).

Instead, I evaluated Your comments as extending my OP.

“It matters a great deal, because here we are trying to understand what has happened among men who live among books, with books, from books, and so their words on books are also important.”
“It’s true,” Benno said, smiling for the first time, his face growing almost radiant. “We live for books”...
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei