More publicity for heroic Dieter

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Re: More publicity for heroic Dieter

Post by _Quasimodo »

I have a question wrote:
I agree.
Bottom line is that the longest serving Apostle gets the job rather than the best candidate.

Who makes the call? If it's the Q12 then it's to their benefit to choose the one closest to death. Most of them are getting up there and it would improve all of their chances of holding the top spot for a little while before they die.

Of course, I am just being cynical. I'm sure that God's suggestion would play a pivotal role in any decision they would make.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Quasimodo wrote:
I have a question wrote:
I agree.
Bottom line is that the longest serving Apostle gets the job rather than the best candidate.

Who makes the call? If it's the Q12 then it's to their benefit to choose the one closest to death. Most of them are getting up there and it would improve all of their chances of holding the top spot for a little while before they die.

Of course, I am just being cynical. I'm sure that God's suggestion would play a pivotal role in any decision they would make.

It's in the articles - longest serving Apostle Gets the job by law.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

I have a question wrote:

Who made the law? Is it just a corporate bylaw or a commandment from God? Can it be changed by the Q12?

Maybe Dieter's campaign makes sense and has a chance of working?
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Quasimodo wrote:
I have a question wrote:

Who made the law? Is it just a corporate bylaw or a commandment from God? Can it be changed by the Q12?

Maybe Dieter's campaign makes sense and has a chance of working?

As I understand it, it was a condition of incorporation as a Corporate Sole that they set out a clear successor. I think Dieter is going for Q12 President.
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

The CCC wrote:I doubt it.

Being in the First Presidency is a very high profile in the Church.

Upon President Monson's death the First Presidency is dissolved and authority returns to Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. Tradition and Church law dictates that the most senior tenured member becomes President. In this case Russel M. Nelson

which Church law?
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

I have a question wrote:

You have a link to those articles?
I spoke with Elder Perry once and he stated that it was "oldest" not "longest serving" that gets the tap.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_I have a question
_Emeritus

subgenius wrote:
I have a question wrote:

You have a link to those articles?
I spoke with Elder Perry once and he stated that it was "oldest" not "longest serving" that gets the tap.

Elder Perry was talking out of his ass.

Wondering who could be the next president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?

The office falls to the longest-serving member of the faith's Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, which means Russell M. Nelson is next in line to replace current president Thomas S. Monson. Nelson stepped into the No. 2 spot with the recent deaths of apostles L. Tom Perry and Boyd K. Packer.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/2705341-155/ ... ext-mormon

Perhaps Perry fell asleep during the meeting?

When the president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints passes away, the following events take place:

1. The First Presidency is automatically dissolved.

2. The two counselors in the First Presidency revert to their places of seniority in the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. Seniority is determined by the date on which a person was ordained to the Twelve, not by age.

3. The Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, now numbering 14 and headed by the senior apostle, assumes Church leadership.

4. The senior apostle presides at a meeting of the Quorum of the Twelve to consider two alternative propositions:

i. Should the First Presidency be reorganized at this time?

ii. Should the Church continue to function with the Quorum of the Twelve presiding?

5. After discussion, a formal motion is made and accepted by the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.

6. If a motion to reorganize the First Presidency is passed, the Quorum of the Twelve unanimously selects the new president of the Church. The new president chooses two counselors and the three of them become the new First Presidency. Throughout the history of the Church, the longest-serving apostle has always become the president of the Church when the First Presidency has been reorganized.

7. Following the reorganization of the First Presidency, the apostle who has served the second longest is sustained as the president of the Quorum of the Twelve. When the second-longest-serving apostle has also been called into the First Presidency as a counselor, the third-longest-serving apostle becomes acting president of the Twelve.

8. The president of the Quorum of the Twelve, along with the rest of the apostles, sets apart the new president of the Church through a formal laying on of hands.

Since the Church was formally organized on 6 April 1830, there have been 16 presidents, including President Thomas S. Monson.

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/additiona ... day-saints

You'll find the articles here:
https://secure.utah.gov/besimage/search ... 55534-0145

But assuming you don't want to part with $2 just to prove your own wrongness....

A corporation sole is a legal entity consisting of a single ("sole") incorporated office, occupied by a single ("sole") natural person. A corporation sole is one of two types of corporation, the other being a corporation aggregate.[1][2] This allows corporations (often religious corporations or Commonwealth governments) to pass without interval in time from one office holder to the next successor-in-office, giving the positions legal continuity with subsequent office holders having identical powers and possessions to their predecessors.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporation_sole
_CameronMO
_Emeritus

Post by _CameronMO »

Mormon Newsroom wrote:6. If a motion to reorganize the First Presidency is passed, the Quorum of the Twelve unanimously selects the new president of the Church. The new president chooses two counselors and the three of them become the new First Presidency. Throughout the history of the Church, the longest-serving apostle has always become the president of the Church when the First Presidency has been reorganized.*

*John Willard Young doesn't count, even though he was the longest-serving apostle.
Trimble, you ignorant sack of rhinoceros puss. The only thing more obvious than your lack of education is the foul stench that surrounds you.
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Where'd subby go?
_I have a question
_Emeritus

I have a question wrote:Where'd subby go?

Bump for the lols