It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:18 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: More publicity for heroic Dieter
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:44 pm 
God

Quote:
The First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has approved another $5 million in aid to fund refugee assistance in Europe -- specifically food, clothing, shelter and other supplies.

For one of the church's most visible leaders, this issue is especially personal. Dieter F. Uchtdorf, second counselor in the First Presidency, was a refugee himself -- not just once, but twice.

With his mother and siblings, he had to flee his home several times.

"These were trips of fear," Uchtdorf told 2News in an exclusive interview. He said he was just four years old the first time he and his family had to leave.

"We left everything behind and started with zero," he said. "We could just take what we could carry."

Young Dieter's father was a soldier in the German army. World War Two was raging. The family's home in Czechoslovakia was no longer safe.

"We had to leave under the guidance of our mother," Uchtdorf said. "Four kids, I was the youngest."

They boarded a refugee train heading west and set out for Germany where Dieter's grandparents lived. But the journey was perilous.

A difficult journey

"It was one of the coldest winters ever, the winter of 44 to 45," Uchtdorf said.

At times, the trip was almost disastrous.

"The train stopped, my mother went out and tried to get food," Uchtdorf remembers. "When she tried to find the train, the train was gone with her four children in there."

After scouring the large train station, his mother found the train with her children inside. Together, they pushed on, eventually making it to Zwickau, part of East Germany.

Uchtdorf says the family's safe arrival was largely thanks to the kindness of others.

"People came up and brought us food and brought us tea or something to drink and were kind to us when we stopped on this long trip during the cold winter," he said.

It's a kindness he said he tries to exhibit today as he looks at people who are just like he once was.

"When I look at the situation now, with the worldwide refugee situation, it is almost a tsunami of refugees," Uchtdorf said.

http://kutv.com/news/local/lds-leader-u ... ant-crisis

So we've had Dieter the pilot slapped all over the media with Hans Solo and the Candy Bomber,
Dieters 'I was a pilot you know...' FP monthly message,
And now Dieter the refugee.

What gives?

Does his ego need a massage?
Does the Church need to raise his profile for some reason?
Is this Dieters 'people' positioning him for the game of musical chairs when Monson goes off through the veil?

(Fence Sitter, Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:20pm)

Post subject: Re: More publicity for heroic Dieter
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:30 pm 
God

I doubt it.

Being in the First Presidency is a very high profile in the Church.

Upon President Monson's death the First Presidency is dissolved and authority returns to Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. Tradition and Church law dictates that the most senior tenured member becomes President. In this case Russel M. Nelson

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:52 pm 
God

The CCC wrote:
I doubt it.

Upon President Monson's death the First Presidency is dissolved and authority returns to Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. Tradition and Church law dictates that the most senior tenured member becomes President. In this case Russel M. Nelson

Nelson is currently President of the Q12.
When Monson dies a new Q12 President will need to be appointed.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:03 pm 
God

I have a question wrote:

The councilors will become part of the Q12 with the most senior member as president. In this case Nelson. Tradition is the most senior becomes the new President, but there is no law in this regard. Joseph never really created any rules for when he was gone. If the most senior behind the Prophet is a councilor the next most senior actually becomes the acting Q12 president. This was the case during part of the time Hinkley was a councilor.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:23 am 
God

If I get time later this quarter I'll do some 'Mormon newsroom generated articles per apostle' type research.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:07 am 
God

Themis wrote:
I have a question wrote:

The councilors will become part of the Q12 with the most senior member as president. In this case Nelson. Tradition is the most senior becomes the new President, but there is no law in this regard. Joseph never really created any rules for when he was gone. If the most senior behind the Prophet is a councilor the next most senior actually becomes the acting Q12 president. This was the case during part of the time Hinkley was a councilor.

SEE https://www.LDS.org/manual/teachings-of ... y?lang=eng

SEE https://www.LDS.org/scriptures/dc-testa ... 6?lang=eng

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:18 pm 
God

The CCC wrote:

You need to make an argument then provide quotes and then the links. I don't know specifically what you are trying to say. I would clarify my comments that Joseph never came up with clearly defined rules on succession. This is why we had a succession crisis. The rules today do not go back to Joseph, but probably BY or JT.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:21 pm 
God

Themis wrote:
The CCC wrote:

You need to make an argument then provide quotes and then the links. I don't know specifically what you are trying to say. I would clarify my comments that Joseph never came up with clearly defined rules on succession. This is why we had a succession crisis. The rules today do not go back to Joseph, but probably BY or JT.

I thought it was to satisfy the conditions needed for the articles of association when the Church incorporated?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:38 pm 
God

I have a question wrote:
I thought it was to satisfy the conditions needed for the articles of association when the Church incorporated?

Possibly, but I have not done much research in these areas. Not that important.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:55 pm 
God

Themis wrote:
I have a question wrote:

Possibly, but I have not done much research in these areas. Not that important.

I agree.
Bottom line is that the longest serving Apostle gets the job rather than the best candidate.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:09 pm 
Bell Ringer

I have a question wrote:

I agree.
Bottom line is that the longest serving Apostle gets the job rather than the best candidate.

Who makes the call? If it's the Q12 then it's to their benefit to choose the one closest to death. Most of them are getting up there and it would improve all of their chances of holding the top spot for a little while before they die.

Of course, I am just being cynical. I'm sure that God's suggestion would play a pivotal role in any decision they would make.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:15 pm 
God

Quasimodo wrote:
I have a question wrote:

I agree.

Who makes the call? If it's the Q12 then it's to their benefit to choose the one closest to death. Most of them are getting up there and it would improve all of their chances of holding the top spot for a little while before they die.

Of course, I am just being cynical. I'm sure that God's suggestion would play a pivotal role in any decision they would make.

It's in the articles - longest serving Apostle Gets the job by law.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:39 pm 
Bell Ringer

I have a question wrote:

Who made the law? Is it just a corporate bylaw or a commandment from God? Can it be changed by the Q12?

Maybe Dieter's campaign makes sense and has a chance of working?

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:48 pm 
God

Quasimodo wrote:
I have a question wrote:

Who made the law? Is it just a corporate bylaw or a commandment from God? Can it be changed by the Q12?

Maybe Dieter's campaign makes sense and has a chance of working?

As I understand it, it was a condition of incorporation as a Corporate Sole that they set out a clear successor. I think Dieter is going for Q12 President.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:10 am 
God

The CCC wrote:
I doubt it.

which Church law?

If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:13 am 
God

I have a question wrote:

You have a link to those articles?
I spoke with Elder Perry once and he stated that it was "oldest" not "longest serving" that gets the tap.

If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:44 am 
God

subgenius wrote:
I have a question wrote:

You have a link to those articles?
I spoke with Elder Perry once and he stated that it was "oldest" not "longest serving" that gets the tap.

Elder Perry was talking out of his ass.

Quote:
Wondering who could be the next president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?

The office falls to the longest-serving member of the faith's Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, which means Russell M. Nelson is next in line to replace current president Thomas S. Monson. Nelson stepped into the No. 2 spot with the recent deaths of apostles L. Tom Perry and Boyd K. Packer.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/2705341-155/ ... ext-mormon

Perhaps Perry fell asleep during the meeting?

Quote:
When the president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints passes away, the following events take place:

1. The First Presidency is automatically dissolved.

2. The two counselors in the First Presidency revert to their places of seniority in the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. Seniority is determined by the date on which a person was ordained to the Twelve, not by age.

3. The Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, now numbering 14 and headed by the senior apostle, assumes Church leadership.

4. The senior apostle presides at a meeting of the Quorum of the Twelve to consider two alternative propositions:

i. Should the First Presidency be reorganized at this time?

ii. Should the Church continue to function with the Quorum of the Twelve presiding?

5. After discussion, a formal motion is made and accepted by the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.

6. If a motion to reorganize the First Presidency is passed, the Quorum of the Twelve unanimously selects the new president of the Church. The new president chooses two counselors and the three of them become the new First Presidency. Throughout the history of the Church, the longest-serving apostle has always become the president of the Church when the First Presidency has been reorganized.

7. Following the reorganization of the First Presidency, the apostle who has served the second longest is sustained as the president of the Quorum of the Twelve. When the second-longest-serving apostle has also been called into the First Presidency as a counselor, the third-longest-serving apostle becomes acting president of the Twelve.

8. The president of the Quorum of the Twelve, along with the rest of the apostles, sets apart the new president of the Church through a formal laying on of hands.

Since the Church was formally organized on 6 April 1830, there have been 16 presidents, including President Thomas S. Monson.

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/additiona ... day-saints

You'll find the articles here:
https://secure.utah.gov/besimage/search ... 55534-0145

But assuming you don't want to part with $2 just to prove your own wrongness....

Quote:
A corporation sole is a legal entity consisting of a single ("sole") incorporated office, occupied by a single ("sole") natural person. A corporation sole is one of two types of corporation, the other being a corporation aggregate.[1][2] This allows corporations (often religious corporations or Commonwealth governments) to pass without interval in time from one office holder to the next successor-in-office, giving the positions legal continuity with subsequent office holders having identical powers and possessions to their predecessors.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporation_sole

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:33 am 
God

Mormon Newsroom wrote:
6. If a motion to reorganize the First Presidency is passed, the Quorum of the Twelve unanimously selects the new president of the Church. The new president chooses two counselors and the three of them become the new First Presidency. Throughout the history of the Church, the longest-serving apostle has always become the president of the Church when the First Presidency has been reorganized.*

Quote:
*John Willard Young doesn't count, even though he was the longest-serving apostle.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:31 am 
God

Where'd subby go?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:23 am 
God

I have a question wrote:
Where'd subby go?

Bump for the lols