Is Chastity Optional for One Who Hasn't Been to the Temple?

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Tsuzuki
_Emeritus

Is Chastity Optional for One Who Hasn't Been to the Temple?

Post by _Tsuzuki »

If someone hasn't been through the temple, and never made covenants to live the law of chastity, is it optional for them? Could they be active LDS and openly not follow the law of chastity (assuming they never intend to set foot in the temple)? Would they be subject to any discipline, or have any limits placed on their activity, priesthood, etc. (outside of the temple, of course)?
"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law."
"Love is the law, love under will."

.: lucifer in tenebris lucet :.
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Re: Is Chastity Optional for One Who Hasn't Been to the Temp

Post by _The CCC »

Part of the Baptismal Covenant is to obey the law of chastity. Members, whether they have been through the Temple or not, are subject to Church Discipline up to and including excommunication.
_Tsuzuki
_Emeritus

Post by _Tsuzuki »

The CCC wrote:Part of the Baptismal Covenant is to obey the law of chastity. Members, whether they have been through the Temple or not, are subject to Church Discipline up to and including excommunication.

I've made covenants in other contexts, but I don't remember explicitly swearing an oath of chastity at my baptism. If I did, my prepubescent mind could not possibly understand it at the time.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/faithpromo ... -covenant/
Last edited by Guest on Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law."
"Love is the law, love under will."

.: lucifer in tenebris lucet :.
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

Tsuzuki wrote:
The CCC wrote:Part of the Baptismal Covenant is to obey the law of chastity. Members, whether they have been through the Temple or not, are subject to Church Discipline up to and including excommunication.

I've make covenants in other contexts, but I don't remember explicitly swearing an oath of chastity at my baptism. If I did, my prepubescent mind could not possibly understand it at the time.

It is part of the Baptismal interview, but you are correct that ages like 8 are to young to understand or realistically be held to promises they never understand and probably don't remember. It's another piece of evidence a good God is not part of this.
_The CCC
_Emeritus

Post by _The CCC »

Tsuzuki wrote:

I've make covenants in other contexts, but I don't remember explicitly swearing an oath of chastity at my baptism. If I did, my prepubescent mind could not possibly understand it at the time.

While five year old's know the difference between good touching and bad touching. No 8 year old going to be held to the same church standards as an adult.