Jesus OUR Kinsman Redeemer

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Mittens
_Emeritus

Jesus OUR Kinsman Redeemer

Post by _Mittens »

Qualifications to be a Kinsman Redeemer

1. Must be a Kinsman

2. Must be free of debt

3. Must be able to pay

4. Must be willing to pay, Ruth first in line kinsman was not willing like Boaz

Jesus is a kinsman Redeemer

1. Born of a woman, Rahib “the Harlot” Tamar “played the Harlot” and Ruth from the godless country of Moab

2. Was free of sin

3. Was God and man

4. Gave his life willingly

Jesus represented all mankind who shed that blood for the world
Justice = Getting what you deserve
Mercy = Not getting what you deserve
Grace = Getting what you can never deserve
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Re: Jesus OUR Kinsman Redeemer

Post by _huckelberry »

I suppose it would be nice if sin were simply a debt that can be paid.
It looks likely to me that it is a deeper problem than that.

How can anybody pay the debt of sin?
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

huckelberry wrote:I suppose it would be nice if sin were simply a debt that can be paid.

Sin is being and doing what is contrary to God's will. Not just anyone can pay that debt; however, Jesus is not just anyone. Jesus is God.

Jesus said, "I and my Father are one." and also " Before Abraham was, I AM."
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Post by _ludwigm »

LittleNipper wrote:
huckelberry wrote:I suppose it would be nice if sin were simply a debt that can be paid.

Sin is being and doing what is contrary to God's will. Not just anyone can pay that debt; however, Jesus is not just anyone. Jesus is God.

What a lucky folks are we, on this site, because we have you; you, who knows exactly the will of a tribal god, a god worshipped by a barbarian tribe lived 3-4 thousand years ago!
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

LittleNipper wrote:

It may be true that sin is doing what is contrary to Gods will. But it is more than that.In fact the definition seems to hide much of the true depth of sin. Take for example the sin of slavery in the United States. People have observed that a very large number of American soldiers died in payment for that sin. Yet the mistrust anger and human hurt, hostility and hatred continued on.

I think it is essential to recognize that mistrust anger hurt hostility and hatred are dimensions of sin which like a cancer spread the the body of a community touching and harming both those who sin and those who are wronged.

"Jesus is God"
Ok but the question is how does that help?
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

Lets focus a bit. One person sins and their sin injures their neighbor. The injury is not simply a physical one but involves a spiritual dimension as well. The sinner may repent, the other injured party remains injured. Their desire to turn to God blunted and stopped by mistrust fear and anger (this body of sin)
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

ludwigm wrote:
LittleNipper wrote:Sin is being and doing what is contrary to God's will. Not just anyone can pay that debt; however, Jesus is not just anyone. Jesus is God.

What a lucky folks are we, on this site, because we have you; you, who knows exactly the will of a tribal god, a god worshipped by a barbarian tribe lived 3-4 thousand years ago!

We have God's Word to read. And we have the testimonial of Jesus Christ ascertaining that God's Word is true. And we have the Apostles all presenting the facts surrounding Christ even in the face of torture, mutilation, and death unless they recanted. And none did --- except Peter who denied Christ. However he later gave his life freely to crucifixion --- inverted according to tradition.
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Post by _ludwigm »

LittleNipper wrote: [ clumsy usage of "quote" feature ]

We have God's Word to read.
No. We have words of long dead, unknown, primitive thinking writers.
And uncountable descriptions about different gods.
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei
_Mittens
_Emeritus

Post by _Mittens »

And inasmuch as mine enemies come against you ... ye shall curse them; And whomsoever ye curse, I will curse, and ye shall avenge me of mine enemies (Doctrine and Covenants, 103:24-25).

http://i.imgur.com/x0l3GQx.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/U5JO5k1.jpg
Justice = Getting what you deserve
Mercy = Not getting what you deserve
Grace = Getting what you can never deserve