When We Need God the Most

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_moksha
_Emeritus

When We Need God the Most

Post by _moksha »

... the deepest prayer can be found in a hospital rather than a church.

Our need for God is the least in the spring and summer of our lives. It is when the snow falls and does not melt that we need the hand of Divine Providence the most. It is the realization of both our own or our loved ones frailty and mortality that opens us to thoughts of intervention and special pleadings.

For those who have built their ramparts to repel such thoughts, I wonder if, in the end, it might also prove to be a barrier to receiving the comfort these thoughts provide. I personally want to reach out for a hoped for relief rather than to expect the empty void.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Re: When We Need God the Most

Post by _huckelberry »

Perhaps in their twenties people can view the empty void with romantic bravado. In their thirties and forties it is forgotten. In the fifties and sixties it makes an occasional lurking uninvited appearance. As they age further people may sometimes wonder if their life has any ongoing value.
_The Way
_Emeritus

Re: When We Need God the Most

Post by _The Way »

moksha wrote:... the deepest prayer can be found in a hospital rather than a church.

Our need for God is the least in the spring and summer of our lives. It is when the snow falls and does not melt that we need the hand of Divine Providence the most. It is the realization of both our own or our loved ones frailty and mortality that opens us to thoughts of intervention and special pleadings.

For those who have built their ramparts to repel such thoughts, I wonder if, in the end, it might also prove to be a barrier to receiving the comfort these thoughts provide. I personally want to reach out for a hoped for relief rather than to expect the empty void.
Actually, I've found that the battlefield, the dorm room the night before a test, and the gambling hall elicit the most fervent pleadings and negotiations with God.