Mormons, Onions and Artichokes

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Mormons, Onions and Artichokes

Post by _moksha »

Mormons, onions and artichokes all have their purpose, as well as various layers of substance that can be appreciated. Gotta love those sweet Vidalia onions, and artichoke hearts with chicken on an Alfredo sauce pizza is lip smacking good. The members of my ward are kind and generous people with loving hearts.

Skyrim Analogy - Skyrim is the quintessentially good video game. It takes you to a virtual world of make believe. It helps players live their virtual lives in an environment that is a pleasant break from their real world existence. Its characters and landscapes are not real, but they are meaningful and enjoyable just the same. Talos does not actually request your worship, but he still has his worshipers. Heimskr is the foremost advocate of Talos who is the only one of the nine Divines from a mortal beginning. Not all believe that Talos the man became Talos the Unerring, but Heimskr would disagree.

"Trust in me, Whiterun! Trust in Heimskr! For I am the chosen of Talos! I alone have been anointed by the Ninth to spread his holy word!"
―Heimskr, Author of The Book of Talos

If those who disagree with the veracity of Heimskr, would consider his message within the scope of the entire Skyrim milieu, they might be less inclined to throw apples, cabbages, artichokes and sweet Vidalia onions. After all, Heimskr like onions, artichokes and Mormons all have various layers which can be appreciated to some degree.

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_DrW
_Emeritus

Re: Mormons, Onions and Artichokes

Post by _DrW »

Most Meticulous Moksha,

I have sojourned up to to the Celestial Forum for no other reason than to confirm that you are comparing the make-believe of your favorite video game, and the diversion it provides you in life, to the make-believe of Mormonism and the diversion that it provides.

Because if you are, I hope you will also note that Talos is at least honest about what it is and is not, while Mormonism is not.
David Hume: "---Mistakes in philosophy are merely ridiculous, those in religion are dangerous."

DrW: "Mistakes in science are learning opportunities and are eventually corrected."
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Dr. W, one line of division between the followers of Talos and the LDS Church is in the area of persecution. The people of Skyrim are acutely aware that the worship of Talos has been outlawed in the Empire in order to placate the Aldmeri Dominion. We Mormons harbor a bit dysfunctional persecution complex, but we have no reported incidents of the Saints being hauled off in the middle of the night by the Malevolent Stalker and his discussion board minions.

As to whether Talos the Man or Tiber Septim by his Imperial designation is actually one of the Divines is up for debate.
Is it indeed an honest claim? All I know is that when I activate His shrine, I am automatically cured of any disease. That seems sufficient. Is the cure through a manifestation of faith or has it been foreordained through coding? If so, where is the free agency of RPG? Most likely with the game mods on the Nexus rather than Bethesda Software. Talk about a demarcation of the sacred and the profane!!!

There are elements of honesty and dishonesty in a great many things in life. It is my hope that as time progresses, our Church will embrace even more honesty, as in the wonderful start that has been made with those essays. Like we say at the bowling alley, "let's keep the ball rolling".
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

moksha wrote:... onions, artichokes and Mormons all have various layers which can be appreciated to some degree.

This seems like an innovative combination of nouvelle cuisine and apologetics. Maybe the Mormon D&D board should consider unbanning me.

Remember, you can order your pizza with chicken, artichoke hearts, sweet onions and Alfredo sauce as readily as you can have variety among Mormons.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

moksha wrote:
moksha wrote:... onions, artichokes and Mormons all have various layers which can be appreciated to some degree.

This seems like an innovative combination of nouvelle cuisine and apologetics. Maybe the Mormon D&D board should consider unbanning me.

Remember, you can order your pizza with chicken, artichoke hearts, sweet onions and Alfredo sauce as readily as you can have variety among Mormons.

I don't think you can discuss Skyrim on a D&D board. It's just not canon.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951