Which cognitive distortions do you struggle with?

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Re: Which cognitive distortions do you struggle with?

Post by _subgenius »

canpakes wrote:You're attributing content to my posts that I did not author. I actually cannot state with certainty that any one particular thing is the "underlying motive ("ultimate concern"/god), which colors everything" that a person says or does. That's Amore's argument, so you'll need to direct your debate towards Amore if you find that to be a faulty statement or conclusion. I only propose some possible terms that might satisfy her statement, if taken at face value, somewhat accurately - but I also believe the statement to be too loose to be useful as given. I won't profess to know the answer; nor am I convinced that Amore does, nor have you seemed willing to explore one with your own suggestions.

so, now you have simply removed that particular goal post....good.

canpakes wrote:Do you believe that free will is what you identify as the "underlying motive ("ultimate concern"/god), which colors everything" that a person says and does? Or does free will simply allow the motive in question to be acted upon?

If that isn't 'the motive' that colors 'everything', then what do you believe it to be?

1. Yes
2. The "motive" is a product of free-will.
3. no response necessary, see 1 and 2
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Amore
_Emeritus

Post by _Amore »

To clarify, of course we're complex and have multiple different motives in various circumstances. Still, I do think that one can see a pattern of one motive that is stronger than all of the others. In unhealthy circumstances it might be an addiction that takes priority over everything - even life.

What do you think would be a healthy highest motive?

Also, do you understand Carl Jung's use of archetypes - are they expressions of motives?

_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

subgenius wrote:
canpakes wrote:Do you believe that free will is what you identify as the "underlying motive ("ultimate concern"/god), which colors everything" that a person says and does? Or does free will simply allow the motive in question to be acted upon?

If that isn't 'the motive' that colors 'everything', then what do you believe it to be?

1. Yes
2. The "motive" is a product of free-will.
3. no response necessary, see 1 and 2

Within,
"Each person has an underlying motive ("ultimate concern"/god), which colors everything they say and do",
Motive/'a reason' (noun) is acted upon through free will but free will is not motive in and of itself.

Related to this: although you could exercise free will to, say, commit suicide (motive unknown), you don't utilize free will to continue to breathe otherwise (something that you 'do').
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

canpakes wrote:Within,
"Each person has an underlying motive ("ultimate concern"/god), which colors everything they say and do",
Motive/'a reason' (noun) is acted upon through free will but free will is not motive in and of itself.

I believe that is a fair summary.

canpakes wrote:Related to this: although you could exercise free will to, say, commit suicide (motive unknown), you don't utilize free will to continue to breathe otherwise (something that you 'do').

I can exercise free-will to hold my breath...but not to my demise, correct.
nor can i stop the blood flow to any particular portion of my body via "will" alone.
Your point seems to be, of course, assuming that free-will is an extension of the consciousness. That free-will may only be exercised in as much as one is aware of such an exercise. That is to say, such will must certainly be surrendered, or put in a holding pattern, while we sleep.....

(on a side note, ever notice how we pretend to sleep in order to actually go to sleep?)

so, is free-will merely a device of the consciousness or is the consciousness a device of free-will....or are they in sort of partnership?
This is why i was noting above about a person's ability to summon goosebumps or the sensation of being startled on command (not by trigger - for example I do not have to rely upon a life-event memory recall in order to hold my breath).
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent