torture

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_AKA_ME
_Emeritus

Re: torture

Post by _AKA_ME »

subgenius wrote:
malkie wrote:OK then - for the sake of argument, let's temporarily abandon hypotheticals - let's be direct.

1. Do you, subgenius, condone torture?

2. Do you, subgenius, believe that your god condones torture?

3. Do you, subgenius, believe that other good members of your faith may disagree with you on whether your god condones torture?

Without splitting hairs over "torture"...
1. Yes, as does everyone.. it is as intrinsic to human life as breathing.
2. Yes, that is obvious.
3. No, it is not possible.

don't know how I missed this, fell over backwards discovering there exists a church member capable of answering the question. I know church members who disagree with you, so it's not only possible but it's guaranteed.

the idea is that innocent people get swept up into the captured terrorists. and they end up dying from the cruel and unusual punishment.

until the LDS god shows some spine by going on record as supporting TORTURE
I personally don't think anyone should assume God is in favor of killing innocent people as a product of the TORTURE program written by good little Mormons.
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

The Church must hate the internet ... put in a simple Bishop in Washington (a millionaire from the spoils of torture) and look what happens.

But never fear, the Bishop was promptly removed, nothing to see here.
_Zadok
_Emeritus

Post by _Zadok »

RockSlider wrote:The Church must hate the internet ...
Boy Howdy!!! The Internet is the Church's WORST nightmare...
A friendship that requires agreement in all things, is not worthy of the term friendship.
_malkie
_Emeritus

Post by _malkie »

malkie wrote:OK then - for the sake of argument, let's temporarily abandon hypotheticals - let's be direct.

1. Do you, subgenius, condone torture?

2. Do you, subgenius, believe that your god condones torture?

3. Do you, subgenius, believe that other good members of your faith may disagree with you on whether your god condones torture?

AKA_ME wrote:
subgenius wrote:Without splitting hairs over "torture"...
1. Yes, as does everyone.. it is as intrinsic to human life as breathing.
2. Yes, that is obvious.
3. No, it is not possible.

don't know how I missed this, fell over backwards discovering there exists a church member capable of answering the question. I know church members who disagree with you, so it's not only possible but it's guaranteed.

the idea is that innocent people get swept up into the captured terrorists. and they end up dying from the cruel and unusual punishment.

until the LDS god shows some spine by going on record as supporting TORTURE
I personally don't think anyone should assume God is in favor of killing innocent people as a product of the TORTURE program written by good little Mormons.

I take Q&A 3 to mean that, according to subby, one cannot be a good LDS member and disagree with disagree with subby on whether the LDS god condones torture - that is, to be a good Mormon, one must not only condone torture, but believe that god condones it too.
NOMinal member

Maksutov: "... if you give someone else the means to always push your buttons, you're lost."
_AKA_ME
_Emeritus

Post by _AKA_ME »

RockSlider wrote:The Church must hate the internet ... put in a simple Bishop in Washington (a millionaire from the spoils of torture) and look what happens.

in talking about the bishop being removed...

“It is impossible to stand upright when one plants his roots in the shifting sands of popular opinion and approval.” Thomas S. Monson

NO ONE in the church bothers asking why god planted his roots in the shifting sands of popular opinion and approval in removing the bishop over such MINOR public pressure.
one city pressing on the bishop and he's gone.

ya got HORRENDOUS outside pressure on the church to stop "flying under the radar" in fighting gay marriage. again God is morally bankrupt when it comes to providing revelation saying
1. become a lobby organization in order to spend official church money fighting gay marriage
OR
2. stop legislating morality on the unbelievers and get the flock out of the lobbying business.

ya got significant inside pressure on the church to treat people with internal reproductive organs the same as people with external reproductive organs.

and the church says it cannot bend to public opinion on these topics, but FLOPS like a major league soccer player on the torture issue...

I fail to understand how church members see no problem in this?
_malkie
_Emeritus

Post by _malkie »

AKA_ME wrote:...

I fail to understand how church members see no problem in this?

AKA_ME, Church members see no problem in most things that involve accepting that whatever the leaders do is OK.

All you need to do is believe that the leaders are following god's will, and that, because of that, they know better than you.

What seems like a contradiction to you is not really a contradiction in god's eyes, because his ways are not your ways.

Easy.

Try it! You'll like it!
NOMinal member

Maksutov: "... if you give someone else the means to always push your buttons, you're lost."
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

RockSlider wrote:The Church must hate the internet ... put in a simple Bishop in Washington (a millionaire from the spoils of torture) and look what happens.

Social Media trumps divine inspiration, everytime.
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_Zadok
_Emeritus

Post by _Zadok »

Bazooka wrote:Social Media trumps divine inspiration, everytime.
God just likes us to 'study it out in our mind' before He reveals his will. You know...like polygamy. :wink:
A friendship that requires agreement in all things, is not worthy of the term friendship.
_mledbetter
_Emeritus

Post by _mledbetter »

AKA_ME wrote:would it be possible to have church members pray to God asking Him if condones torture?

he does answer prayers right?

and it is important to get God's opinion is it not?

This question is as interesting as the question about the effectiveness of torture.

If you do it wrong, you'll get the answer you "want", but not the truth.

If you do it correctly, you "may" get the truth.

There IS a science to interrogation, I believe, and torture can be a pretty effective tool in the hands of a talented interrogator. At least that's what I've heard.

Perhaps the study of interrogation may help one become better at prayer?! After all, if there is a God we must be torturing the poor guy/girl with our insanity.

I heard somewhere that the CIA likes to recruit Mormons...
Last edited by Guest on Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
┏(-_-)┛┗(-_- )┓┗(-_-)┛┏(-_-)┓