Marriage..."Until death do ye part."

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Thorwald
_Emeritus

Re: Marriage..."Until death do ye part."

Post by _Thorwald »

ludwigm wrote:
Thorwald wrote: Marriage has been 'defined' by God, in the scriptures.

Book? Chapter? Verse?

Version? Language?

Something factual information? Or empty sputtering only...

Try reading the New Testament. You'll find what you are looking for.
_The Erotic Apologist
_Emeritus

Post by _The Erotic Apologist »

Thorwald wrote:Try reading the New Testament. You'll find what you are looking for.
I think pretty much everybody here has already done that. Some of us have read it in multiple languages.

Have you read the New Testament, Thorwald?
Surprise, surprise, there is no divine mandate for the Church to discuss and portray its history accurately.
--Yahoo Bot

I pray thee, sir, forgive me for the mess. And whether I shot first, I'll not confess.
--Han Solo, from William Shakespeare's Star Wars
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

Thorwald wrote:Quasimodo:

Are you actually as stupid as your postings lead me to believe? Marriage has been 'defined' by God, in the scriptures. That is good enough for me. THE END.

Probably.

No Old Testament quotes?
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_just me
_Emeritus

Post by _just me »

The Bible has lots of different marriage rules and customs. Most of them pointing to the fact that women were not equal partners and slave wives were a-okay.

Don't marry a Canaanite.
A woman must marry her rapist.
A man must marry his brothers widow to make babies with her.
Have as many concubines as you like.
Have as many wives as you like.
Feel free to capture women and girls and force them into marriage.

Marriage wasn’t even a Christian sacrament until the Fourth Lateran Council of 1215.
~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

And polygamy seems just fine in the Old Testament. Thorwald, are you a polygamist?
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

Thorwald wrote:Quasimodo:

Are you actually as stupid as your postings lead me to believe?

Yes, yes he is. We all are. We are all dumb and stupid and moronic and have comprehension difficulties etc etc.
we are in awe of your intellect Throwald The Magnificant.

Marriage has been 'defined' by God, in the scriptures. That is good enough for me. THE END.

Nope, the definition in the scriptures was written by some anonymous author with an agenda nearly two thousand years ago. If that is good enough for you, fair enough, it's your END.

By the way, why didn't Jesus get married? Did He have commitment issues?
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

just me wrote:The Bible has lots of different marriage rules and customs. Most of them pointing to the fact that women were not equal partners and slave wives were a-okay.

Don't marry a Canaanite.

Marriage wasn’t even a Christian sacrament until the Fourth Lateran Council of 1215.

I believe you are misrepresenting the Bible. The reality is that many of the regulations were in place to protect the woman. And this is at a time when women counted as nothing in most societies at that time. God never rewarded any man for having many wives or concubines, and demonstrates that the opposite is true.
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

LittleNipper wrote:
just me wrote:The Bible has lots of different marriage rules and customs. Most of them pointing to the fact that women were not equal partners and slave wives were a-okay.

Don't marry a Canaanite.

I believe you are misrepresenting the Bible. The reality is that many of the regulations were in place to protect the woman. And this is at a time when women counted as nothing in most societies at that time. God never rewarded any man for having many wives or concubines, and demonstrates that the opposite is true.

Solomon?

700 wives and 300 hundred concubines and yet: "The whole world sought audience with Solomon to hear the wisdom God had put in his heart." (1 Kings 10:24)

I like you, Nipper, but you tend to make untrue statements to support your own personal beliefs.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

Quasimodo wrote:
LittleNipper wrote:I believe you are misrepresenting the Bible. The reality is that many of the regulations were in place to protect the woman. And this is at a time when women counted as nothing in most societies at that time. God never rewarded any man for having many wives or concubines, and demonstrates that the opposite is true.

Solomon?

700 wives and 300 hundred concubines and yet: "The whole world sought audience with Solomon to hear the wisdom God had put in his heart." (1 Kings 10:24)

I like you, Nipper, but you tend to make untrue statements to support your own personal beliefs.

Which untrue statement are you referring to? Remember, the Bible explains Biblical meaning when viewed in context of its totality:
1 Kings 11:4
New International Version
As Solomon grew old, his wives turned his heart after other gods, and his heart was not fully devoted to the LORD his God, as the heart of David his father had been.
Solomon was NEVER rewarded for his many wives. God rewarded Solomon because he asked for wisdom instead of wealth and prestige.
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

LittleNipper wrote:I believe you are misrepresenting the Bible. The reality is that many of the regulations were in place to protect the woman. And this is at a time when women counted as nothing in most societies at that time. God never rewarded any man for having many wives or concubines, and demonstrates that the opposite is true.

Quasimodo wrote:Solomon?

LittleNipper wrote:Which untrue statement are you referring to? Remember, the Bible explains Biblical meaning when viewed in context of its totality:
1 Kings 11:4
New International Version
As Solomon grew old, his wives turned his heart after other gods, and his heart was not fully devoted to the LORD his God, as the heart of David his father had been.
Solomon was NEVER rewarded for his many wives. God rewarded Solomon because he asked for wisdom instead of wealth and prestige.

God seemed quite happy with Solomon, wives and all. It was only when he started hanging out with those other Gods that he fell into disfavor. He wasn't punished for his many wives and concubines (sleeping schedules must have been very complicated), but for his unfaithfulness.