Obedience vs. Love as an LDS turning point

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Re: Obedience vs. Love as an LDS turning point

Post by _canpakes »

subgenius wrote:"I find God in the suffering eyes reflected in mine. If this is how you are revealed to me, this is how I will forever seek you.
"I will always seek God. Some people find God in church. Some people find God in nature. Some people find God in love; I find God in suffering. I've known for some time what my life's work is, using my hands as tools to relieve suffering."
Kayla Mueller
http://ncronline.org/blogs/grace-margin ... 4.Facebook

Apologies for rabbit-trailing, but the last three paragraphs of the linked article are probably worthy of their own discussion.

Intentional or otherwise, the extra exposure given to Kayla's comments via mention here is appreciated. Thank you.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Seems to me that the best religious recourse for suffering caused by the hand of Man, is to find deliverance in the loving arms of God.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Zadok
_Emeritus

Post by _Zadok »

moksha wrote:Seems to me that the best religious recourse for suffering caused by the hand of Man, is to find deliverance in the loving arms of God.
Seems to me that every time I seek the 'loving arms of God' they are closed to me. Either God is really pissed at me, or He doesn't exit. I'm tilting to the latter over the former.
A friendship that requires agreement in all things, is not worthy of the term friendship.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Zadok wrote: Seems to me that every time I seek the 'loving arms of God' they are closed to me.

the end of this statement calls into question the sincerity of its beginning.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Amore
_Emeritus

Post by _Amore »

Zadok,
I can relate - sometimes I feel a sense of lack in that way.
Experiencing a sense of God happens within you, each of us individually, in the unique ways we resonate.
It's up to you to figure out how you resonate and focus on or surround yourself accordingly.
Gratitude is the basis of spirituality - then love (striving for goals to benefit others as yourself).
_Amore
_Emeritus

Post by _Amore »

moksha wrote:Seems to me that the best religious recourse for suffering caused by the hand of Man, is to find deliverance in the loving arms of God.

I realize religion is some peoples' "opium," and I see the dysfunction in using Jesus as a scapegoat.
Still, what is most effective is tapping into our own potential as much as possible. Much of what motivates us to think, feel and do as we do is subconscious. The most practical every-day method of bringing the subconscious conscious and utilizing intuition is to meditate and pray to a Higher Power. Of course this needs to be balanced with thoughtful reasoning.

That way, we're most effective in easing the suffering of ourselves and others.
_Zadok
_Emeritus

Post by _Zadok »

subgenius wrote:
Zadok wrote: Seems to me that every time I seek the 'loving arms of God' they are closed to me.
the end of this statement calls into question the sincerity of its beginning.
I suppose you could say that since I now expect nothing to happen, that is why nothing happens. Taken as a snapshot of a moment in time I see your reasoning.

But it hasn't always been this way. There was a time when I truly believed and expected God to be there. My agnostic skepticism didn't come over night, but rather over a life time of perceived rejection.
A friendship that requires agreement in all things, is not worthy of the term friendship.