The virgin birth of Christ.

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Re: The virgin birth of Christ.

Post by _subgenius »

Dr. Shades wrote:'Cause it's too close to rape.

by that gauge it is also too close to artificial insemination or surrogacy.

Rape is effectively an "out of Eden" construct. The natural world takes no offense at such behavior.
That being said, to assume that any "divine intervention" can be evaluated by a measure of wrong is an error. Offending one's consciousness as being "wrong" seems like a rather sticky argument that does not get less sticky in proportion to physical proximity.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Tobin
_Emeritus

Post by _Tobin »

Dr. Shades wrote:'Cause it's too close to rape.
So when we artificially inseminate animals, are we raping them? You have to bear in mind that God is a superior being to us. Our concerns are not paramount to such a being (if he exists). It is much like an ant's concerns aren't very important to a human-being.
"You lack vision, but I see a place where people get on and off the freeway. On and off, off and on all day, all night.... Tire salons, automobile dealerships and wonderful, wonderful billboards reaching as far as the eye can see. My God, it'll be beautiful." -- Judge Doom
_Mike Reed
_Emeritus

Post by _Mike Reed »

huckelberry wrote:But I do not know your intention. Could be another proposal that religion is all about rape. (?)

This paper developed over the years. Started with apologetic interest/with an academic slant. Then I developed it after I stopped being an apologist and active in the LDS Church. So I guess my intentions evolved with my paper. I think I am rather detached, having not much of a dog in the fight, other than trying to settle the dispute between Mormons and their Christian critics... at least when it regards endlessly debating scripture. Perhaps, in the future, the subject can be taken further (unless there is a solid scripturally based rebuttal--but I haven't received one yet), and into the development of various religious traditions that built on these (and other) scriptural text. I haven't read this thread, I confess... so there may have been some of this going on already. If so, carry on. :)
_just me
_Emeritus

Post by _just me »

We were discussing this sacred topic in my home the other night.

Basically, we decided that it was kinda hilarious/creepy that Baby Jesus broke Mother Mary's hymen. That wasn't from an LDS perspective, obviously.

Telling that Tobin's god wouldn't give a snot about raping a human. Sounds awful Greek god-like. And clearly not worthy of worship.
~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~
_SteelHead
_Emeritus

Post by _SteelHead »

The subjective morality of those claiming rape of humans is ok, as long as the self same god who led the war for our individual free will is the rapist.... Terrifies me.
It is better to be a warrior in a garden, than a gardener at war.

Some of us, on the other hand, actually prefer a religion that includes some type of correlation with reality.
~Bill Hamblin
_Zadok
_Emeritus

Post by _Zadok »

Tobin wrote: You have to bear in mind that God is a superior being to us. Our concerns are not paramount to such a being (if he exists). It is much like an ant's concerns aren't very important to a human-being.
BOGUS. I don't demand that the ants pray to me, worship me, set up churches in my name and send in their money. If your so-called God has no more interest in me than I do in ants, HE won't mind that I don't give a crap about what he thinks I should be doing on Sundays.
A friendship that requires agreement in all things, is not worthy of the term friendship.
_just me
_Emeritus

Post by _just me »

Zadok wrote:
Tobin wrote: You have to bear in mind that God is a superior being to us. Our concerns are not paramount to such a being (if he exists). It is much like an ant's concerns aren't very important to a human-being.
BOGUS. I don't demand that the ants pray to me, worship me, set up churches in my name and send in their money. If your so-called God has no more interest in me than I do in ants, HE won't mind that I don't give a crap about what he thinks I should be doing on Sundays.

You also aren't an insect rapist. So, there's that.
~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~
_Amore
_Emeritus

Post by _Amore »

Funny or sad.
You guys get all worked up over fiction - the parables are not literal.
Jesus didn't even write canonized scriptures & those who wrote about his birth didn't write so we could celebrate his birthday or be tested on the details of his particular birth.

It's a PARABLE about being born again.

So... all of this projected talk about rape is as ridiculous as talking about raping yourself.
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

Amore wrote:Funny or sad.
You guys get all worked up over fiction - the parables are not literal.
Jesus didn't even write canonized scriptures & those who wrote about his birth didn't write so we could celebrate his birthday or be tested on the details of his particular birth.

It's a PARABLE about being born again.

So... all of this projected talk about rape is as ridiculous as talking about raping yourself.

A parable may be a made up story that is told to teach a principle; however, not all parables are fictitious. Example: I could certainly tell a story about a large luxury liner that everyone came to believe was unsinkable... And yet on it's maiden voyage, it struck an iceberg and sank taking about 2/3rds of the passengers with it because there were not enough lifeboats. The moral being: never place your faith in the abilities of man.