Typesetter?

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Always Changing
_Emeritus

Typesetter?

Post by _Always Changing »

I am reviewing (again) the Book of Mormon, this time for grammar and usage errors. I have noted that the frequency of errors in the 1830 edition varies quite a bit. What is the most likely explanation?

1. The original typesetter proofed as he worked, correcting errors. On occasion, he burned out on the task, and set what he read.

2. There were several typesetters, the diligent and the literalist.

3. The texture of errors consistently reflects authorship.

4. Other-- and explain.

Is there any way of testing these hypotheses?
Problems with auto-correct:
In Helaman 6:39, we see the Badmintons, so similar to Skousenite Mormons, taking over the government and abusing the rights of many.
_Spanner
_Emeritus

Re: Typesetter?

Post by _Spanner »

If I recall correctly, Oliver helped out in the printing office on occasion; it looks like he didn't take a lot of care with punctuation - at least at that time in his life. The printer later claimed to have added a lot of the punctuation, so he would be your diligent one.
_Always Changing
_Emeritus

OK. That will work. He who adds punctuation also often pays attention to grammar. Thanks.
In Helaman 6:39, we see the Badmintons, so similar to Skousenite Mormons, taking over the government and abusing the rights of many.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Considering the history of grammar and that "grammar" during the 19th century was in early stages of being systemized... what possible insight can be gained from early typesetters of Book of Mormon?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_ ... h_grammars
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Always Changing
_Emeritus

Can I compare the educational attainments of the man who wrote this:
Now king Mosiah had no one to confer the kingdom upon, for there was not any of his sons which would accept of the kingdom; therefore he took the records which were engraven upon the plates of brass, and also the plates of Nephi, and all the things which he had kept and preserved, according to the commandments of God, and after having translated and caused to be written the records which were on the plates of gold, which had been found by the people of Limhi, which was delivered to him by the hand of Limhi: and this he done, because of the great anxiety of his people, for they were desirous beyond measure, to know concerning those people which had been destroyed. And now he translated them by the means of those two stones which was fastened into the two rims of a bow. Now these things was prepared from the beginning, and was handed down from generation to generation, for the purpose of interpreting languages; and they have been kept and preserved by the hand of the Lord, that he should discover to every creature which should possess the land, the iniquities and abominations of his people: and whosoever has these things, is called seer, after the manner of old times. Now after Mosiah had finished translating these records, behold, it gave an account of the people which was destroyed, from the time that they were destroyed, back to the building of the great tower, at the time the Lord confounded the langauge of the people; and they were scattered abroad upon the face of all the earth, yea, and even from that time until the creation of Adam.

Smith Jr., Joseph; Uplifting Publications (2008-10-31). The Book of Mormon: 1830 Original Edition (LDS) (Kindle Preferred Active Table of Content Edition) (Kindle Locations 4839-4844). Uplifting Publications. Kindle Edition.

with those of the man who wrote this:
If it be true, as is attempted to be shown in my view of the Hebrews, that the address of the prophet Isaiah, in chapter xviii., is to the good people of our United States-- “Ho, land shadowing with wings, &c.”-- this prophecy may reflect light on the “two wings of a great eagle,” in our text. The appellation of “land shadowing with wings,” may allude to the figure of our continent; or to the protecting form of our government, or both. The figure of North and South America is like the two wings of a great eagle; as the map of them will show. And the form of our government, as well as our distance from the tyrannies of old lands, may well suggest the two wings of a great eagle, as our most fit national emblem, or coat of arms.
(Ethan Smith, Key to the Revelation, p. 194]

Both of which were written at about the same time?

Although I have to state that both men were quite imaginative.
_canpakes
_Emeritus

Post by _canpakes »

If it be true, as is attempted to be shown in my view of the Hebrews, that the address of the prophet Isaiah, in chapter xviii., is to the good people of our United States-- “Ho, land shadowing with wings, &c.”-- this prophecy may reflect light on the “two wings of a great eagle,” in our text. The appellation of “land shadowing with wings,” may allude to the figure of our continent; or to the protecting form of our government, or both. The figure of North and South America is like the two wings of a great eagle; as the map of them will show. And the form of our government, as well as our distance from the tyrannies of old lands, may well suggest the two wings of a great eagle, as our most fit national emblem, or coat of arms. (Ethan Smith, Key to the Revelation, p. 194)

Also from Ethan Smith:

VotH, Chapter 4B wrote:This standard of salvation at that period, is a notable event in the prophets. See Isai. xi. 12, where God sets his hand a second time to gather his Hebrew family from all nations and regions beyond sea; doubtless from America, as well as other nations; and it is promised, “He shall set up an ensign for the nations, and shall assemble the outcasts of Israel, and gather together the dispersed of Judah from the four corners of the earth.” If from the four corners of the earth, then surely from America! In this passage are the descriptive situations from which the two great branches of the Hebrews are recovered; Judah from being dispersed among the nations; and Israel from being outcast from the nations; thrown out of sight of the social world; precisely as they have been in the wilds of America for more than two thousand years, provided our natives are of Israel. (View of the Hebrews, p. 187)
_Happygirl
_Emeritus

Post by _Happygirl »

This may not add to much insight as to who made the the changes during typesetting, but it's fascinating reading.

To fully understand the historical development and formation of the Book of Mormon one must (in my humble, irrelevant opinion), take into consideration all contemporary sources and opinions as to what may, or may not have been some of the original ideas, wording and text of the Book of Mormon.

With that spirit in mind I have provided a link (that you may have already read) to local newspapers of the time. They not only provide interesting reading on the beginning of Mormonism as it unfolded historically, but also contain some of the first unauthorized excerpts of the Book of Mormon published by Abner Cole, under the name of Obadiah Dogberry.

It certainly doesn't answer the question of who made the changes, but may give some context to some of them.

http://www.sidneyrigdon.com/dbroadhu/NY/wayn1830.htm

_Always Changing
_Emeritus

I found the answer here. http://www.utlm.org/onlinebooks/3913intro.htm Sandra has studied the subject in detail.