Goodness in many revealed

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Doctor CamNC4Me
_Emeritus

Re: Goodness in many revealed

Post by _Doctor CamNC4Me »

I nominate Andrea Dworkin. She was a fierce egalitarian who demonstrated love and respect for all human beings.

- Doc
In the face of madness, rationality has no power - Xiao Wang, US historiographer, 2287 AD.

Every record...falsified, every book rewritten...every statue...has been renamed or torn down, every date...altered...the process is continuing...minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Ideology is always right.
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Post by _ludwigm »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:I nominate Andrea Dworkin. She was a fierce egalitarian who demonstrated love and respect for all human beings.

- Doc
"...her mother was the child of Jewish emigrants from Hungary."
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei
_Amore
_Emeritus

Post by _Amore »

Jean Valjean's story is inspiring in many ways - especially how he could go from hate to love repeatedly, especially in praying for the well-being of Cosette's love.

Beautiful song, Ludwigm!

Film/acting/writing/music - all that goes into creating entertaining or especially inspiring movies - is intriguing!
We were tempted to get into the industry but chose family instead.
Still, I admire the sacrifice some give in creating really good art - as one director said, it is usually out of a sense of struggle with harsh realities of this life.
I admire those who relatively few, who fight the good fight.
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

LittleNipper wrote:Les Misérables is a story where people struggling with justice, and the need for mercy and grace ----- a tug of war between the needs of the many verses the needs of the few. It is an anguish cry to God for hope and redemption. In Les Misérables our hero acts nobly not out of feelings of guilt but out of a sense of gratitude to God for redeeming his soul. This is a very moving story if one accepts notions of God, spirit, and the soul.......

Les Misérables is a fictional story of two men who have an epiphany. One who can except it (Valjean) and one who cannot (Javert). Valjean turns his life to altruism. Javert commits suicide.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Post by _ludwigm »

Quasimodo wrote:
LittleNipper wrote:Les Misérables is a story where people struggling with justice, and the need for mercy and grace ----- a tug of war between the needs of the many verses the needs of the few. It is an anguish cry to God for hope and redemption. In Les Misérables our hero acts nobly not out of feelings of guilt but out of a sense of gratitude to God for redeeming his soul. This is a very moving story if one accepts notions of God, spirit, and the soul.......

Les Misérables is a fictional story of two men who have an epiphany. One who can except it (Valjean) and one who cannot (Javert). Valjean turns his life to altruism. Javert commits suicide.

Months ago I learned that the novel as a whole is one of the longest ever written ... (and I did read it when I was six. Or seven.)

I watched (maybe) all films. I prefer the 1958 version with Jean Gabin and Bernard Blier. Mighty actors. (Valjean/Javert)

by the way
Digressions
More than a quarter of the novel—by one count 955 of 2,783 pages—is devoted to essays that argue a moral point or display Hugo's encyclopedic knowledge, but do not advance the plot, nor even a subplot, a method Hugo used in such other works as The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Hey Quasimodo...) and Toilers of the Sea. One biographer noted that "the digressions of genius are easily pardoned"
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei
_Amore
_Emeritus

Post by _Amore »

Quasimodo wrote:

The beauty of parables and art is that there is no single right or wrong interpretation.

Quasimodo, I think your interpretation is interesting and valid - even relevant when we come to accept paradox of the need for motivating but also reasonable beliefs.
_Amore
_Emeritus

Post by _Amore »

Guy helps out homeless guy
https://youtu.be/4Lki_IeM6bQ

Street performers give in a couple ways
https://youtu.be/gdZutng4ejE
_Amore
_Emeritus

Post by _Amore »