A Formally Educated Joseph Smith

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_moksha
_Emeritus

A Formally Educated Joseph Smith

Post by _moksha »

Seems to me that Joseph Smith was a creative genius with a good memory and some ability toward self-education.

Makes me wonder what Joseph Smith might have been able to accomplish with a formal education. Would such an education have homogenized his creative ability into an ordinary religious view or set him on a more traditional career path?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Re: A Formally Educated Joseph Smith

Post by _subgenius »

formal education is oppressive.....it is merely boot camp...its value is specific and arguably subjective.

"Academic training in beauty is a sham. We have been so deceived, but so well deceived that we can scarcely get back even a shadow of the truth." - Pablo Picasso
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Good point Subgenius. I imagine the hills of Palmyra would be as formative as the playing fields of Eaton, and that more education itself would simply stymie both outcomes.
_Always Changing
_Emeritus

Post by _Always Changing »

This thread reminds me of "a little knowledge is dangerous."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Essay_on_Criticism

Joseph Smith operated from what he knew, which was not much. Maybe his later craziness came from his own massive cognitive dissonance.
Problems with auto-correct:
In Helaman 6:39, we see the Badmintons, so similar to Skousenite Mormons, taking over the government and abusing the rights of many.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

moksha wrote:Good point Subgenius. I imagine the hills of Palmyra would be as formative as the playing fields of Eaton, and that more education itself would simply stymie both outcomes.

is that anywhere near Eton?
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

New 'don't ask, don't tell policy' for the Nauvoo Legion declared success, sources say.