Parallels between Chase affidavit and 1839 kids book

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Re: Parallels between Chase affidavit and 1839 kids book

Post by _Blixa »

MikeMauve wrote:
Bazooka wrote:reddit, reddit.....

Meaning?
I'm new round these parts.

Well welcome to the place.

Why don't you tell us a bit about your specific interests in Mormon history? Easier to help you if we know the what, where and why a bit...
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_MikeMauve
_Emeritus

Post by _MikeMauve »

Blixa wrote:Why don't you tell us a bit about your specific interests in Mormon history? Easier to help you if we know the what, where and why a bit...

I'm an odd bird. I'm neither Mormon nor ex-mormon, just a huge fan of history. I'm interested the opportunity Mormonism gives us to learn about the formation of a new religion, preserved in the fossil record of history.

How does a New York farm boy wind up becoming a prophet? What were his inspirations, motivations, and evolution from 1820-1830?

We'll never know these things about Moses or Buddha or Jesus or Muhammad. But with Smith, the tools of big data offer the tantalizing possibility that we will be able to get real, definitive answers to these questions.

The Johnson and Criddle studies don't have all the answers yet, but their methodology may yet turn up a "rosetta stone" that explains a lot of unanswered questions. Grant Palmer's suggestion of The Golden Pot is a good example of what inspiration might look like, although I remain unconvinced that it was an actual inspiration. I'm quite convinced by Dan Vogel's general sketch of what Joseph Smith's evolution and motivations-- that his initial teenaged goal was familial unity, rather than a premeditated "long con", but there are lots of details that need to be fleshed out.

So, that's my story. I have no emotional stake, but lots of curiosity. Almost two centuries later, 14 million people are still looking to Joseph Smith as a prophet-- how did that happen!?
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

MikeMauve wrote:
Blixa wrote:Why don't you tell us a bit about your specific interests in Mormon history? Easier to help you if we know the what, where and why a bit...

I'm an odd bird. I'm neither Mormon nor ex-mormon, just a huge fan of history. I'm interested the opportunity Mormonism gives us to learn about the formation of a new religion, preserved in the fossil record of history.

How does a New York farm boy wind up becoming a prophet? What were his inspirations, motivations, and evolution from 1820-1830?

We'll never know these things about Moses or Buddha or Jesus or Muhammad. But with Smith, the tools of big data offer the tantalizing possibility that we will be able to get real, definitive answers to these questions.

The Johnson and Criddle studies don't have all the answers yet, but their methodology may yet turn up a "rosetta stone" that explains a lot of unanswered questions. Grant Palmer's suggestion of The Golden Pot is a good example of what inspiration might look like, although I remain unconvinced that it was an actual inspiration. I'm quite convinced by Dan Vogel's general sketch of what Joseph Smith's evolution and motivations-- that his initial teenaged goal was familial unity, rather than a premeditated "long con", but there are lots of details that need to be fleshed out.

So, that's my story. I have no emotional stake, but lots of curiosity. Almost two centuries later, 14 million people are still looking to Joseph Smith as a prophet-- how did that happen!?

Okely Dokely.

You just sound very...familiar.

I'm guessing I don't know much you don't know already.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

MikeMauve wrote:So, that's my story. I have no emotional stake, but lots of curiosity. Almost two centuries later, 14 million people are still looking to Joseph Smith as a prophet-- how did that happen!?

*ahem* I think you'll find that's a lot closer to being 5 million people still attending Church, of whom some still believe Joseph may have been a prophet. Which is significantly smaller than the number of people that still believe Elvis is alive.
A quarter of a century after the death of Elvis Presley, more than 4 in 10 Americans still describe themselves as fans of "The King." Despite years of rumors and alleged sightings, just 7% think he may still be alive.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-kings-p ... -constant/

POSSIBLE ELVIS IS STILL ALIVE
Americans Who Believe Elvis Is Alive 7%

Elvis Fans Who Believe Elvis Is Alive 9%

Interestingly, those under age 30, the group least likely to be Elvis fans, are more likely than any other age group to believe that Elvis Presley may not really be dead. 11% of these young Americans say it is possible that "The King" lives on.
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Hmmm... No more Mike Mauve? I am disappoint.
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

Blixa wrote:Hmmm... No more Mike Mauve? I am disappoint.

He's taking some time out to recover from the shattering news that Elvis is in fact deceased.....
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_MikeMauve
_Emeritus

Post by _MikeMauve »

He's taking some time out to recover from the shattering news that Elvis is in fact deceased

Oh ye of little faith.
Elvis is everywhere, Elvis is everything. Elvis is everybody. Elvis is still the king. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_hkIN38qnY
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

The return of Mike Mauve.

I was hoping for more :(