Feeling Probed....

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Stargazer
_Emeritus

Re: Feeling Probed....

Post by _Stargazer »

Themis wrote:
subgenius wrote:

So, does this help anyone understand the strength in utilizing emotion as one of the tools for making good decisions?

Just remember it only one of the tools, and one that can get things very wrong as well.

I saw this as Themis agreeing with subgenius about emotion being a valid tool for making good decision, with the caveat that it could lead to incorrect decisions. I suppose that means when emotion is allowed to overthrow the other tools. I didn't see Themis contradicting anything subgenius posted.

So why did subgenius get his back up about it?

I don't know either of you guys, so perhaps there's some history between you that is at play here?
"To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin."
-- Cardinal Bellarmine (1615, during the trial of Galileo)
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Post by _ludwigm »

Stargazer wrote:So why did subgenius get his back up about it?

I don't know either of you guys, so perhaps there's some history between you that is at play here?

Yes, there is.

by the way
You did steal the second half of my signature line.

It is MINE from the beginning on (I joined 2007.10.18 10:07:07)
Please choose another... the world is full of smart words.

Or expand it with (c) ludwigm !
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Stargazer wrote:
I saw this as Themis agreeing with subgenius about emotion being a valid tool for making good decision, with the caveat that it could lead to incorrect decisions. I suppose that means when emotion is allowed to overthrow the other tools. I didn't see Themis contradicting anything subgenius posted.

So why did subgenius get his back up about it?

In fact, Themis did not agree with me, and further Themis inserted unfounded exception into the premise.
In fact, the usual crowd assumed once again that science is only as valid in as much as it supports their opinions.
For example the OP quoted:
"it [intuition] plays a crucial role in humans' ability to make smart decisions"
Yet Themis and the Themis-ilk quickly claim that smart decisions are not made by intuition...but rather intuition is more often the source of bad decisions....a notion contradicted by science.
In fact, the study had "significant" statistics that concluded with -
"nonconscious emotional signals may well factor into decision-making before conscious processes do"

all of these scientific findings contradict the many many condemnations of emotion and intuition that Themis has erroneously, and now embarrassingly, espoused on countless other threads....and on this thread Themis merely tried to lawyer up.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

subgenius wrote:In fact, the usual crowd assumed once again that science is only as valid in as much as it supports their opinions.

The irony.

Yet Themis and the Themis-ilk quickly claim that smart decisions are not made by intuition...but rather intuition is more often the source of bad decisions....a notion contradicted by science.

I did not see where it shows intuition getting things 100% correct, or even close. In fact they say not all their results were statistically significant. It also says some kinds of reasoning, and they think it is based on memories, not some divine being. This is also just one study and it would not be wise to take more from it then some would like to. That said, I do not disagree with what they say, but I notice some may want to see things not really there like you do with quoting church materiel as though this study supports your conclusions. Perhaps you could give specifics on how you think they are related.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Themis wrote:
subgenius wrote:In fact, the usual crowd assumed once again that science is only as valid in as much as it supports their opinions.

The irony.

only in so far as you have yet to realize it.

Themis wrote:

I did not see where it shows intuition getting things 100% correct, or even close. In fact they say not all their results were statistically significant. It also says some kinds of reasoning, and they think it is based on memories, not some divine being. This is also just one study and it would not be wise to take more from it then some would like to. That said, I do not disagree with what they say, but I notice some may want to see things not really there like you do with quoting church materiel as though this study supports your conclusions. Perhaps you could give specifics on how you think they are related.

Yes, you are so correct - how vague, misleading, and confusing this study was - with such statements like:
"it [intuition] plays a crucial role in humans' ability to make smart decisions"
"nonconscious emotional signals may well factor into decision-making before conscious processes do"
"a new study suggests that it plays a crucial role in humans' ability to make smart decisions."
"the new work "fits in with an impressive heap of individual studies" showing that people rely on a variety of emotional cues--ranging from a general sense of deja vu to specific feelings like fear--when making decisions."
"the overall findings suggest that in normal people, nonconscious emotional signals may well factor into decision-making before conscious processes do"

obviously some people reading this thread will belong in the brain-damage study group (hint hint wink wink).

yep, nothing but speculation from these fancy scientific fellers...should have known it would be unreliable....i just had a feeling, you know?
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

subgenius wrote:obviously some people reading this thread will belong in the brain-damage study group (hint hint wink wink).

yep, nothing but speculation from these fancy scientific fellers...should have known it would be unreliable....i just had a feeling, you know?

Not a surprise all you have is insults and no substance to what I said.
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Themis wrote:
subgenius wrote:obviously some people reading this thread will belong in the brain-damage study group (hint hint wink wink).

Not a surprise all you have is insults and no substance to what I said.

then consider yourself to have reaped what you have sown
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

subgenius wrote:then consider yourself to have reaped what you have sown

So you are excusing your behavior because you think I have insulted you. I may not be perfect, but you constantly insult people you think are not believers. This is why discussion is not really possible with you. I can at least try to discuss an issue without insulting anyone.