LDS Church failures of trust

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

why me wrote:
Polygamy Porter wrote:
why me wrote:But I cannot rely on the inspiration of local leaders unless I know that they are truly inspired.
Wow, circular logic at its best!

So tell me, how does one discern whether or not a person is TRULY inspired?

Brigham young told his followers that his speech was just like the scriptures. Yet today most of what he pontificated has been tossed into the personal opinion bucket.

How high up in the LDS Inc chain of command do you allow yourself to decide whether someone is "inspired"?

Difficult to say. But I do know that it can be a problem to believe in inspiration because we seem to be living in uninspiring times. At least this is my opinion. I cannot trust the wisdom of a bishop until I know that he is wise. And I cannot trust inspiration, until I know a person is inspired. But how to make that judgement is a difficult one.

We have all heard stories of bishops making the wrong decision and giving the wrong advice. I believe that we all live in perilous times and local church leaders are not immune to the time that we are all living in. Local leaders can be influenced by the real life that they experience outside the church and hence, deaden their inspiration.

Do you trust your own inspiration?