FAIRMORMON -- Facsimile No. 3 -- my comments

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Re: FAIRMORMON -- Facsimile No. 3 -- my comments

Post by _Quasimodo »

The Erotic Apologist wrote:

Yes, they certainly are good at it, but it really only works when the knowledge needed to turn complexity into comprehension is unavailable. But now that much of this knowledge is so readily accessible, these "appeals to complexity" no longer work. So then why do these old fossils continue with this losing strategy? Can't they see the rules of the game have changed? Can't they see that mounting a cavalry charge against advancing tanks is a losing proposition?

What options do they have, other than admitting that the whole thing is just a boondoggle?

Maybe all the Egyptologists are wrong?

Maybe all the Archeologists are wrong?

Maybe all the Geneticists are wrong?

Maybe all the Linguists are wrong?

Maybe all the Geologists are wrong?

Maybe all the Paleontologists are wrong?

Lot's of maybes and no facts.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_The Erotic Apologist
_Emeritus

Post by _The Erotic Apologist »

Quasimodo wrote:What options do they have, other than admitting that the whole thing is just a boondoggle?.

That's kind of what I'm hoping for when they publish those Answers to Troubling Questions essays.

Yeah, I know, I'm a dreamer.
Surprise, surprise, there is no divine mandate for the Church to discuss and portray its history accurately.
--Yahoo Bot

I pray thee, sir, forgive me for the mess. And whether I shot first, I'll not confess.
--Han Solo, from William Shakespeare's Star Wars
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Anubis is a slave because . . . .
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

A faithful Alchemist will disregard the paid devil rantings of the Metallurgists. They know that gold awaits.
Last edited by Jersey Girl on Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Brad Hudson wrote:I guess I have to agree with FAIRMORMON -- it does put critics in a unassailable position. ;-)

Yes, the critics & Egyptologists together are in a unassailable position because they are on the side of truth and right. On the other hand, the LDS apologists and Book of Abraham are defeated at every angle because they deal in lies and falsehoods in trying to defend things that are wrongful.

The Explanations of Facsimile No. 3 as tendered by the LDS church are an utter abomination and an insult to Egyptology and ancient Egypt. The church really does need to apologize for these mistakes and set the record straight with church members. You'd think they would want to do the decent and honest thing but evidently expressing and accepting the truth is not in their interest. You'd think the church would want to be more Christian and confess their sins and make things right. But we see that the LDS church is not Christian and not willing to humble themselves and accept the authority and truths contained in modern Egyptology. I guess it's just a matter of pride, LDS pride.

Paul O
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Let's be clear about one important thing when considering any apologetic commentary of the Facsimile No. 3. Anything and everything Hugh Nibley said on the subject does not represent the LDS church and has absolutely no binding effect whatsoever on the LDS people. The same goes for the school teacher, Mr. John Gee. He, like Nibley, has zero authority to represent the church and everything he says on an apologetic level is his own opinion and the church in no way officially endorses his statements.

So far, the LSD church has said nothing on an official level to defend the Explanations of Facsimile No. 3. The First Presidency has refused to step up to the plate and make any kind of official statement in addressing the clear differences between Mormon Egyptology and conventional modern Egyptology.

The First Presidency crickets ever chirp.

Paul O
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

Shulem wrote:Image

Anubis is a slave because . . . .

ImageImage

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Examining the Book of Abraham
Chapter 6

by Kevin Mathie
wrote:
True to his 19th-century American point of view, Joseph identified the only "black" person in the drawing as a slave. However, this figure is undoubtedly Anubis, guide of the dead, who is there to support the deceased. He has helped the deceased complete his journey, and assisted him in the use of the spells that were contained in his funeral book. Reuben Hedlock's rendering is not very good, perhaps because of damage to the original papyrus fragment from which he took the drawing, but Anubis is always black, and always has a jackal's head — in fact, you can still make out the pointed dog ear on the top of his head. The words above Anubis read: "Recitation by Anubis, who makes protection(?), foremost of the embalming booth,..."

http://www.bookofabraham.com/boamathie/BOA_6.html

Paul O
_bcuzbcuz
_Emeritus

Re: FAIRMORMON -- Facsimile No. 3 -- my comments7h

Post by _bcuzbcuz »

The Erotic Apologist wrote:
bcuzbcuz wrote:Granted, I have to read approx. 1000 pages a month and study a minimum of 6 hours a day to maintain good grades, but, hey, us pensioners have lots of time on our hands. I can now read some basic hieroglyphic texts and by the end of my second year I will be able to read both Hieroglyphic, Hieratic and probably demotic texts, although my major is history and not languages. All the basic texts can be bought on-line and delivered in a few days and are readily available to anyone willing to spend the time and money.

How many Hieroglyphics must one commit to memory in order to read ancient Egyptian inscriptions? I'm guessing you have a huge pile of flash cards.

Middle Egyptian used 700 hieroglyphs, some of them used very infrequuently, some combinations have no more than one single reference. And flash cards is an excellent idea, thanks.

Although I have no intention of ever getting to the point of decifering difficult texts, excellent, dependable translations are available with very little effort. From what I've seen, I wouldn't suggest FairMormon as a dependable site.
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love...you make. PMcC
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Post by _Shulem »

The official position of: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

1. In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

2. In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

3. Olimlah, a slave belonging to the prince.

This is binding upon the heads of the latter-day Saints and they are commanded by the Almighty to believe and profess Joseph's private brand of Egyptology. I say this in the sacred name of Jesus H. Christ, amen and by the power of the holy Melchizedek priesthood, bearing witness that the First Presidency has declared it and those who reject it are damned. Amen.

The following links in WIKIPEDIA are excellent sources worth bookmarking to acquire quick information about the Joseph Smith papyrus and learn more about this controversial subject.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

Book of Abraham
Joseph Smith Papyri
Criticism of the Book of Abraham
Joseph Smith Hypocephalus
Kirtland Egyptian papers
Book of Joseph (Latter Day Saints)
File:Facsimile 3 plate anubis.jpg
Last edited by Guest on Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
_Philo Sofee
_Emeritus

Post by _Philo Sofee »

Now THIS is the Shulem that is very effective at destroying the myopic silliness of apologetics dealing with the Book of Abraham. This thread is invaluable!
Dr CamNC4Me
"Dr. Peterson and his Callithumpian cabal of BYU idiots have been marginalized by their own inevitable irrelevancy defending a fraud."