The Book of Mormon contridicts Mormonism

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_The Erotic Apologist
_Emeritus

Re: The Book of Mormon contridicts Mormonism

Post by _The Erotic Apologist »

huckelberry wrote:
The Erotic Apologist wrote: but this is where it manages to get even sillier.

I think shooting that far high of the mark blunts your other criticisms.
You're right, the "I knocked up my own mom" meme is not necessarily in the best taste. But on the other hand, it's difficult to discuss the trinity in detail without making statements that are equally absurd and contradictory. The only difference is that believers say them with a straight face.

You've heard the old joke about how a giraffe is really a horse designed by a committee? Well, the trinity is a god designed by a committee.
Surprise, surprise, there is no divine mandate for the Church to discuss and portray its history accurately.
--Yahoo Bot

I pray thee, sir, forgive me for the mess. And whether I shot first, I'll not confess.
--Han Solo, from William Shakespeare's Star Wars
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

The Erotic Apologist wrote:I think shooting that far high of the mark blunts your other criticisms.
You're right, the "I knocked up my own mom" meme is not necessarily in the best taste. But on the other hand, it's difficult to discuss the trinity in detail without making statements that are equally absurd and contradictory. The only difference is that believers say them with a straight face.

You've heard the old joke about how a giraffe is really a horse designed by a committee? Well, the trinity is a god designed by a committee.[/quote]

It is the belief of Christianity that God fathered Himself.
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

Bazooka wrote:
The Erotic Apologist wrote:I think shooting that far high of the mark blunts your other criticisms.

You've heard the old joke about how a giraffe is really a horse designed by a committee? Well, the trinity is a god designed by a committee.

It is the belief of Christianity that God fathered Himself.

Christ always existed but it was through the Holy Spirit (the 3rd person of the Trinity) that Christ (the 2nd person of the Trinity) was brought to a mortal existence. The Holy Spirit came upon Mary and through a miracle known only to GOD instilled deity in human form within Mary.
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

LittleNipper wrote:The Holy Spirit came upon Mary...

What an unfortunate phrase.
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_ludwigm
_Emeritus

Post by _ludwigm »

Bazooka wrote:

Would You like "came into" better?
- Whenever a poet or preacher, chief or wizard spouts gibberish, the human race spends centuries deciphering the message. - Umberto Eco
- To assert that the earth revolves around the sun is as erroneous as to claim that Jesus was not born of a virgin. - Cardinal Bellarmine at the trial of Galilei
_The Erotic Apologist
_Emeritus

Post by _The Erotic Apologist »

Bazooka wrote:

ludwigm wrote:Would You like "came into" better?

:lol:
Surprise, surprise, there is no divine mandate for the Church to discuss and portray its history accurately.
--Yahoo Bot

I pray thee, sir, forgive me for the mess. And whether I shot first, I'll not confess.
--Han Solo, from William Shakespeare's Star Wars